What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 9 vs Canterbury @ Suncorp Stadium

Sun_Down

Juniors
Brisbane team

Karmichael Hunt
Scott Minto
Justin Hodges
Shaun Berrigan
Leon Bott
Darren Lockyer
Brett Seymour
Shane Webcke
Barry Berrigan
Petero Civoniceva
David Stagg
Brad Thorn
Darren Smith

Interchange
Corey Parker
Casey McGuire
Neville Costigan
Darren Mapp

At least he'll be back around origin...but I wish he wasnt dropped this week, much rather have him there than Costigan

Big Pete

Referee
Costigan is great mate, why knock him?

If I was to knock someone it would be Mapp, who is solid, but dosn't do enough a game IMO.

However, we already have a great utility (possibly one of the best) in McGuire and finding a place for Barnes is easier said then done.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
What happen to Tame Topou?(sp)

I like Costigan, he looks like a great lock to me - like most young Broncos he will have to wait to get a go there.

At least Carlaw is not there.

Big Pete

Referee
Tupou just isn't doing enough to get ago in the squad...and from the sight of things Minto is better.

Still a bit suprised to see Smith in there though...thought they might of tried to use other talent...however he is still going pretty solid for us so I won't knock him. He might also add something to the squad as he's versing his old club, might a bit more passion to his game.

Also whatever happened to Kelly? He's about as good as Minto IMO but he had more game experience...so what? Is he too busy playing 5/8th for our reserve team or something?

Broncodroid

Juniors
THREAD TITLE EDITED SO WE CAN DISCUSS THIS WEEK'S GAME IN THE ONE THREAD

As for the dropping of Barnes, it was always on the cards, why play him with McGuire on the bench if we have the majority of our players on board again barring Tate and TC? Barnes will be better for the experience though I would expect Bennet to only using him when our playing stock is down due to injuries, rep committments etc.

Neville Costigan is as talented a forward as we having coming through and he has the ability to slot into dummy half if needed. He also brings another hitmen which we lack without TC in the line-up.

Mr Angry...Tupou lost the pre-season battle with Bott and he is now languishing in the lower grades working on the simple things that are missing. Positional play, nowing where he is in relation to the sideline, hands etc. You could call him a bit of a 'project' at the moment. Minto offers a no frills but safer option.

As for Minto, he is a hellova' lot better than Stu freakin Kelly. IMO, a top 5 candidated for the the worse Bronco to ever pull on the famed Brisbane jersey.

Sun_Down

Juniors
Not knocking Costigan, calm down...I was just frustrated at his aggressivness last week which cost us penalties...Hes good, but In my opinion I would rather Barnes in there, just chill, its only my opinon..

As for D.Smith again #-o #-o #-o

Kiwi

First Grade
I can understand why Smith is being selected. Look at how many young guys are in that team.

Karmichael Hunt
Scott Minto
Leon Bott
Brett Seymour
David Stagg
Neville Costigan

Then you have guys like B Berigan, Parker, S Berrigan, McGuire and Mapp who don't have the ability to be leaders, great players yes, but not leaders.

Then there is Hodges and Thorn who are still finding their feet at the club again.

leaving Lockyer, Webcke, and Civoniceva as the leaders with a tonne of experience.

Bennett I think has found the perfect balance of youth and experience, he keeps the balance by playing Smith till Carroll gets back.

Broncodroid

Juniors
Scott Minto is not to be included in the young bracket before Parker (23 tomorrow), Mapp (25) or McGuire (25)...Minto is 26 turning 45 :lol:

Mr Saab

Referee
i am more than happy with this team.
At this stage i will take Costigan over Barnes every day. Costigan is a great player coming off the bench.
Barnes will get his turn, he is only 18 and wayne said himself not to expect much from barnes this yr.
Brisbane cant have mcguire and barnes coming off the bench....brisbane will get hamered in the forwards.
Darren Smith is a very smart footballer and is playing fine for the broncos. So he is 36...so what? Langer was 36 when he won a man of the match in Origin 2002 (game 3)
If you can do the job and do it well then age is irrelevant

noone should ever say that minto is better then anyone, he is the worst player in the history of the NRL. hes only getting a game because bennett is obviously his biological father.

Mr Saab

Referee
minto has been playing fine this yr. I have been impressed with him. (i was his harshest critic 2004)

sure he is no Sailor or Lote, but he is doing ok

Ghoulies

Bench
Exactly, Minto was never going to set the world on fire, but he's been solid at the back and has even bagged a few tries.

DIEHARD

----
You need an older head back there when you have young players like Hunt and Bott back there.

broncoman

Juniors
i like that side for this week, as has already been mentioned Barnes was probably never gonna make the side with Barry Berrigan coming back and McGuire going back to the bench...
im happy with Smith to be in the side still, if hes the best lock we have currently fit ill take it. and besides, who am i to question wayne bennett!

ByRd

First Grade
should be a good game, even though we are down on numbers we should be able to make a good game of it & i think we can get away with the win.

dogs to win 27-20 hopefully :D

Latest posts