What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 9 vs. Eels Discussion + Voting

Newtowneel

Juniors
You are probably right. Just didn't look like that at the game. Hodges did bust his gut tonight. He had every right to be filthy ...can't believe eels fell for his dummy and run. He is so good at that

unbreaK

Juniors
Aint even mad, I just want the likes of Norman, Prince, Wallace, McCullough to either step up or be dropped, quite simple, everyone else is playing sold to good week in week out.

On a bright note there's no way Maranta would've scored either of those tries down the right side, yay for Kahu.

3 - Reed
2 - Hunt
1 - Kahu

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
I'm pretty sure that was directed at Norman and rightfully so, that may have been one of the dumbest plays I've seen all year.

Yeah the refs were bad, but man we did some really dumb things. We can't even do some of the basic stuff right. Even still we managed to get into a winning position (4 tries to 3) but our poor goal kicking on average is going to cost us a game or two, and one of those was tonight.

Even really basic things like:

- Getting some decent metres off penalty kicks. Gees we're hopeless at this. Parra showed how useful a big kick is and how much momentum it gives you.
- Putting up the bombs. Ok, so if you get to about the 30m line on the 5th tackle then it's a pretty standard play to put up the bomb. But our chasers that go through rarely ever go for the ball, and if they do, they don't even look like catching it most of the time.
- Macca getting the ball slapped out of his hands, again?!?!

These days when I look at the team list I don't get very excited anymore. Even our so called big names like Hannant, Thaiday don't really get me going. I mean they are ok but they don't exactly bend the defensive line backwards. Hala is leaps and bounds our best forward in this respect. George Burgess is showing up our so called star studded forward pack and he is barely out of 20s :crazy:. Gillett has that X-factor but can only find it once every three games. Hodges is great (usually) but I hold my breathe every time he gets the ball worrying if he is going to get injured.

This post is getting a bit long now... sorry.

natheel

Coach
The best part of that game was McGuire coming in throwing them lol I know it was a stupid play but I got to say I loved it.

yeh Allgood had no chance to get one back but Darcy Lussick gave McGuire a few.

Bad luck. I think who ever would have won the losing sides fans had some things to scream about in regards to refereeing. Both sides had dodgy calls

Good Luck next week

natheel

Coach
Carbon copy of what he did at the end of the Tigers game, I wonder if he'll catch any other teams napping with that move.

more experienced sides probably not but with rookie players in there its a good move to exploit. we have shown lapses with soft tries being let in.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Eels are due a win but one hopes they've left it all on the park against the Cows.

Same can't be said of the Broncos after that second half so fingers crossed we can get the win here.

Thaiday will bounce back in this one.

Thaiday was best player on the field.

AceAv

Juniors
Sorry to say pou, but Thaiday is definatley out of form and not performing at his best. He was just walking into the defense when were were on attack and getting up slow to play as well as just rolling into them softly. If you look at how Hala smashed into them you'll see the difference. I think Thaiday is best when he is a little lighter and playing second row. But this year that option just doesn't seem possible.

I can't believe we didn't try our signature backline attack more and use norman/reed/hoffman which looked to be going so well. Just really weak options in attack and so many opportunities gone begging. Eels made the most of their limited attack and actually played the scoreboard. We deserved to lose by more.

One of those games; where if we miss the 8 by 2 points. You just want to scream...

user_nat

Coach
Looking at the stats, McCullough only played 70 minutes, who spent 10 minutes at hooker? I didn't even notice. He also ran 100m which seems odd..

Bretto

Bench
Final thoughts...

Hunt was great. I was bummed for Prince to see him come off injured, but excited Hunt got a real chance to show his wares. I thought he did a great job in defense and was good in attack. Now imagine what he would be like with a decent 5/8 beside him and a full pre-season under his belt to build combinations and learn plays. If that game wasn't enough to show Anthony Griffin that Ben Hunt should be our starting Halfback, then Griffin needs to be sacked. Straight up.

I mentioned that I feared we could get ambushed, and in a way, we did. Eels came out hard and their forwards just ran over us. Hannant and Thaiday were dreadful. Thaiday played about 15 minutes of good football at the end of the game.

Macca and Norman... Wtf. Norman was clueless last night. Hospital passes, wrong plays, terrible passes (that pass to Kahu when Kahu was 30 meters away... Hodges rightfully blasted Norman for that) Hodges too was very poor in defense and let that kid run over him all night. I think Hodges or Hoffman should be our Fullback.

I want to see some changes next week. For me, this would be nice...

1. Hoffman
2. Kemp
3. Reed
4. Hodges
5. Kahu
6. Norman
7. Hunt
8. Hannant
9. Wallace
10. Thaiday
11. Glenn
12. Gillett
13. Parker

14. Baptiste
15. Stagg
16. Hala
17. Anderson

As far as last nights game went.

3. Hunt
2. Hala
1. Kahu

-3. Norman
-2. Macca

ggmu

Juniors
Looking at the stats, McCullough only played 70 minutes, who spent 10 minutes at hooker? I didn't even notice. He also ran 100m which seems odd..

Hunt went to hooker, Norman to 5/8th, Hoffman to FB, Stagg to Wing or centre couldn't tell.

ggmu

Juniors
Is it me or has Hala started to show his potential. Playing more minutes and hitting the line hard. Not sure he will be a starting prop but can see him being a very effective impact player for years to come.

jakepearce94

Juniors
terrible game but my voting is:
3- Corey Parker, provided excellent go forward, offloaded a few times, but also ruined our momentum a few times but that's just what he does.
2- Sam Thaiday, i thought he actually played pretty well, had some good runs and made plenty of tackles.
1- Josh Hoffman, geez he actually has got a motor in him, had some great fast paced runs during the game. why doesn't he run that hard and fast when he plays fullback?

Big Pete

Referee
AceAv said:
Sorry to say pou, but Thaiday is definatley out of form and not performing at his best.

I thought Sam's first stint was pretty ordinary, hence he was replaced within the first twenty minutes but he really stepped up in the second half.

I just think fans have different expectations of Sam. They don't want a battering ram, they want a barnstorming back who pokes his nose through the defence. These days, he's a work-a-holic like Parker minus the offload.

Are these expectations unfair? Not really. He's our captain and probably our highest paid player. Sometimes the criticisms have seen harsh (seen somebody accuse him of doing nothing when he ran 15 times, made over 100m and made excess of 40 tackles) but that's just the nature of the beast I guess.

I'll review the game again tomorrow and draw up my votes. GTB, we should probably put together a 2013 BotY thread.

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Sorry to say pou, but Thaiday is definatley out of form and not performing at his best.

That's because he's stuck in the middle of the field rather than on that right edge where he has some room and can play longer minutes.

The Broncos' problem is they have enough quality edge forwards and not enough props. That forces their best forward into the middle where he's easier to contain.

Still the best player on the field last night though.

Latest posts