What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 9 vs. North Queensland Cowboys Discussion

Big Pete

Referee
North Queensland Cowboys vs. Brisbane Broncos
Queensland Country Bank Stadium, Saturday 8 May 2021
Kick Off: 7:30pm

NORTHQLD-2021.png

1. Valentine Holmes 2. Kyle Feldt 3. Javid Bowen 4. Connelly Lemuelu 5. Murray Taulagi 6. Scott Drinkwater 7. Jake Clifford 8. Coen Hess 9. Reece Robson 10. Jordan McLean 11. Shane Wright 12. Ben Condon 13. Jason Taumalolo

Interchange: 14. Jake Granville 15. Lachlan Burr 16. Francis Molo 17. Corey Jensen

Reserves: 18. Peter Hola 19. Mitchell Dunn 20. Tom Gilbert 21. Kane Bradley

BRISBANE-2021.png

1. Jamayne Isaako 2. Xavier Coates 3. Herbie Farnworth 4. Jesse Arthars 5. Corey Oates 6. Anthony Milford 7. Tyson Gamble 8. Matthew Lodge 9. Jake Turpin 10. Payne Haas 11. Jordan Riki 12. Tevita Pangai Junior 13. Patrick Carrigan

Interchange:
14. Danny Levi 15. Thomas Flegler 16. Ethan Bullemor 17. Rhys Kennedy

Reserves: 18. Dale Copley 19. Brendan Piakura 20. Tesi Niu 21. John Asiata​

Big Pete

Referee
It's going to be interesting to see how the Broncos respond after their historic win against the Gold Coast Titans. Either the comeback victory masked all their serious injuries or it was a watershed moment for the club that finally gives them a foundation to be built off of. I think this should be as good a litmus test as any as they go in as underdogs against the Cowboys.

It's a winnable game for the Broncos but if they take a backwards step I can see it turning ugly. The Cowboys themselves have turned a corner and while the start of last week's game was ugly for them I don't think it will matter in the lead up to the derby. They'll be up for this game so the Broncos will have to make sure they get off to a hot start.

It seems all the build up to the game has been elsewhere. We had that crazy Tuesday where Coates apparently agreed to terms with Melbourne, everyone has since come out and denied that while Brisbane were quick to reveal that Staggs had signed for a further four seasons. At the moment I'm resigned to Coates leaving the club but I'm starting to get reminded of Brendan Piakura where he was all but going to the Bulldogs only for the Broncos to make one final offer which kept him.

On top of that you have the Adam Reynolds story where he's apparently going to tour the facilities and it sounds like he's a real chance of coming here.

So not a ton on the game itself but I get the sense that this is either going to be a big win or a big reality check.

Nerd

Bench
Bugger thought we had them. Isaako is dead set rocks or diamonds. He just needs to calm down and stop going for the all or nothing plays when we make a half break and catching all the kicks in at least one game would help. To be fair at least we played much better than last year and really only let the Cows back in when after half time we turned back into the bumbling Broncos for about 10 minutes.

I think Bullemor needs to start and Riki should come off the bench. Riki seems to get fatigued after 20 odd minutes and starts coming up with errors.

With a little more experience we stop making those silly errors and will start winning games like that one.

Big Pete

Referee
A frustrating loss for the Broncos. There was a period in the first half where they had plenty of opportunities but just couldn't convert them. If they capitilised there I think they were on their way to a big victory but to the Cowboys credit they just hung tough and their halves outplayed the Broncos.

I didn't think the Broncos played too badly otherwise. I thought they worked the ball well out of trouble which has often been their Achilles heel and their forwards were making good in-roads into the Cowboys. They just didn't get through enough sets and the defence in the final five minutes was shocking.

Unfortunately it appears that Carrigan may have done his ACL which is shocking news. It's a real shame too because he was one of the best players on the field and was unlucky not to have try.

Nerd

Bench
A frustrating loss for the Broncos. There was a period in the first half where they had plenty of opportunities but just couldn't convert them. If they capitilised there I think they were on their way to a big victory but to the Cowboys credit they just hung tough and their halves outplayed the Broncos.

I didn't think the Broncos played too badly otherwise. I thought they worked the ball well out of trouble which has often been their Achilles heel and their forwards were making good in-roads into the Cowboys. They just didn't get through enough sets and the defence in the final five minutes was shocking.

Unfortunately it appears that Carrigan may have done his ACL which is shocking news. It's a real shame too because he was one of the best players on the field and was unlucky not to have try.
Yes I couldn't believe they called back the Carrigan try when there were at 5-6 other passes that were a lot more forward than that one. I suppose it's just one of those thing when your team's not performing well they don't get the 50/50 calls. A real shame that Carrigan has also done his ACL. I was not happy with his game earlier in the year but he was just starting to dig into the line a bit more when he takes the ball up and then this happens.

Close games like this also show that Milford just isn't a game winning half anymore.

Bronco18

Juniors
Yes I couldn't believe they called back the Carrigan try when there were at 5-6 other passes that were a lot more forward than that

It was definitely a square up after having let the Gamble to Milford one through the middle go earlier. Shows how overcoached the refs are “look out for these kind of passes” rather than “look for forward passes.”

Tough job for Kevvy after this one - he’ll want to encourage the effort, spirit and positivity of their play but also criticise how they sometimes get a bit too excited with the ball movement as well.

Nerd

Bench
I agree. When a half break is made we often go for the miracle play that isn't on instead of just taking the tackle and looking for a quick play the ball. Lodge can be guilty of this and when he gets the ball from broken play he just needs to stick it under his wing and charge the line.

Nerd

Bench
I agree. When a half break is made we often go for the miracle play that isn't on instead of just taking the tackle and looking for a quick play the ball. Lodge can be guilty of this and when he gets the ball from broken play he just needs to stick it under his wing and charge the line.

Latest posts