What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

'Rowdy' Roddy Piper dead at 61

Dragon Jim

Juniors
'Rowdy' Roddy Piper dies at the age of 61 http://fansided.com/2015/07/31/rowdy-roddy-piper-dies-61-cancer/

The professional wrestling world has lost yet another legend, this time “Rowdy” Roddy Piper at the age of 61

A few weeks ago the professional wrestling world lost one of the biggest legends of the business in Dusty Rhodes. Well on Friday, the news got a little worse with the news of the death of “Rowdy” Roddy Piper. TMZ was the first to report the news. Piper was 61

One of the more well-known talkers in the business, Roddy Piper was one of the most respected men to ever step into a wrestling ring. He had various stints in the territory system of the NWA before he finally moved on to the WWE in the 1980s. That was where he made his mark as one of the best heels the business has ever seen. He was so good, in fact, that he was pivotal in bringing in the Rock and Wrestling Era, feuding with Hulk Hogan. Their feud was prominent on MTV and Piper instantly became one of the most viable assets the WWE ever had.

Piper would take some time off to do movies and other projects, but he always made his way back to the wrestling business in some form or fashion. Whenever he was asked to come back, he made his way back.

Back in 2005, WWE did the right thing and they inducted Piper into the WWE Hall of Fame. While he went in with other huge names, his speech was one that will be remembered forever.

While the cause of death right now is being reported as natural causes, Piper did deal with cancer in the past. However, he recently reported last year that he was cancer free, so it’s hard to tell whether or not it played a role in the death. We’ll find out more in the coming days and weeks.

Roddy Piper will be missed by everyone in the wrestling and entertainment community.

Last Week

Bench
My child hood is leaving me, one wrestler at a time. Damn it!

Rest is peace Hot Rod. I am devastated that I'll never get to see you walk out to those epic bagpipes again.

Last edited:

Bulldog Force

Referee
Poor guy, suffered a heart attack :(

I must admit I didn't see much of him growing up as he was in WWF while I was following WCW, then he was in WCW when I was following WWF. Still sad and someone who will forever live in Hall of Fame.

RIP.

Iafeta

Referee
I started watching the Starrcade DVD last night, that dog collar match against Greg Valentine was amazing. Then I wake up to this... Unreal. RIP Roddy, "I came here to chew bubble gum and kick ### and I'm all out of bubble gum".

Misanthrope

Staff member
He's a guy from before my time as a wrestling fan who I never really 'got' seeing him as a modern personality, but his legacy to the business was huge. First the Dream and now the Hot Rod :(

nöyd

Staff member
Pipers Pit, probably my first wrestling memories as far as promos/interviews go.

A truly sad day. :(

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
He's a guy from before my time as a wrestling fan who I never really 'got' seeing him as a modern personality, but his legacy to the business was huge. First the Dream and now the Hot Rod :(

Can understand that. He was definitely an 80's style wrestler. Still remembered his feud with Rick Rude in the late 80's/early 90's, those 2 were great together.

One of those guys who simply didn't need a title or be involved in the title scene to be interesting.

Will be missed.

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
Bloody Hell!!
This one actually brings a lump to the throat :(
I must admit, I didn't see him in his prime, more as his fued with Hogan in the wCw
I saw his PPV work from the 90s on home video

Really sad with this one.
I just hope this isn't a continuing trend
RIP Piper

Gina Minehart

Juniors
Really sad. Used to love him battling the nwo. I remember him vs hogan at havoc with fondness

Also listened a lot to his podcast lately. Great guy. The drugs and lifestyle clearly had some impact on him but God he had an interesting life

Vale

That moment when the entire Royal Rumble stopped in 2008 just so Snuka and Piper could slug it out (despite being horrifically bad in their movement) was just a great modern moment. Particularly once Piper's music hit while Snuka was in the ring, the crowd just went bezerk.

nöyd

Staff member
Also had the best entrance music imo, along with Randy Savage

Gina Minehart

Juniors
The last podcast he did in mid July is worth listening to. Lanny Poffo was a really interesting guest

Got the sense that there were a lot of gremlins in his closet (e.g. Pat Patterson). Hope he is at rest now