What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roy and HG: Bludging on the Blindside

GongPanther

Referee
Watching Roy & HG last night on Australian Story on ABC. They have returned to ABC radio every Saturday afternoon at midday called "Bludging on the Blindside".

A repeat of the Australian Story will be on again on this Friday 22nd May at 1:30 pm.

Past episodes: https://www.abc.net.au/radio/programs/bludging-on-the-blindside/episodes/

Apple Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/au/podcast/roy-and-hg-bludging-on-the-blindside/id1506120132

Hope this move paves the way for Roy & HG to call the SOO and GF again.

Last edited:

horrie hastings

First Grade
Watching Roy & HG last night on Australian Story on ABC. They have returned to ABC radio every Saturday afternoon at midday called "Bludging on the Blindside".

A repeat of the Australian Story will be on again on this Friday 22nd May at 1:30 pm.

Past episodes: https://www.abc.net.au/radio/programs/bludging-on-the-blindside/episodes/

Apple Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/au/podcast/roy-and-hg-bludging-on-the-blindside/id1506120132

Hope this move paves the way for Roy & HG to call the SOO and GF again.

Have recorded it so will watch it sometime this week.

soc123_au

Staff member
I used to love listening to "This Sporting Life" on JJJ. I remember a Saturday arvo around 1994 they were making a case as to why the Olympics should be moved to Lithgow instead of the recently won Sydney bid. My sides hurt for about a week after. 3 hours of absolute hilarity. I dont think I'd ever laughed as hard before or since. Although "The Dream" in 2000 would have been close. They are geniuses.
I would love to be able to listen to that episode about the Lithgow Olympics again. I wonder if its archived somewhere.

GongPanther

Referee
I used to love listening to "This Sporting Life" on JJJ. I remember a Saturday arvo around 1994 they were making a case as to why the Olympics should be moved to Lithgow instead of the recently won Sydney bid. My sides hurt for about a week after. 3 hours of absolute hilarity. I dont think I'd ever laughed as hard before or since. Although "The Dream" in 2000 would have been close. They are geniuses.
I would love to be able to listen to that episode about the Lithgow Olympics again. I wonder if its archived somewhere.
I hope that one day both of them release their back catalogues. I contacted their agent in seeking permission to release the many episodes of This Sporting Life (they themselves own all the rights to all their works, and not the ABC), but no replies so far.

I respect them too much to release anything on any "distribution service" without their permission, so it looks like I have a big job in converting a lot of tapes to digital media for my own use.

soc123_au

Staff member
156614.jpg

If you havent already, this is funny as f**k. I still want to luge in Kiama.

Subscribed to the pod. Looking forward to it tomorrow. :hugging:

Same. Have done with their previous shows too. Perfect listening for hacking about in the garden.

Absolutely love it. I can’t sing any more praise than others have about these guys, only to say they’ve been an institution on my radio, tv, and now podcast life..

Also on this note, there’s a podcast episode on the Betoota advocate - interview with Greg (aka HG)... only a month or two ago. Well worth a listen, in similar lines to the Australian story doco but a different flavour.

The simple rules they've laid out for themselves work amazingly well.

1) HG asks the questions

2) they always agree with each other

“Yessssssssssssssss :musical_score:” - Roy Slaven

And it really is the little things that crack me up. Even Roy’s whistley “S’s” at the end of a long “Yessss” in agreement to HG is enough to get me chuckling.

“Ooooh geeze he’s angry tonight. He’s so angry he would punch a fish!” - I can’t even remember which one of them said it but I remember just laughing my arse off.

Good to know they are still around.

soc123_au

Staff member
Is this the book with the landmarks named after sporting “icons”?

eg the Stan Jurd Bus Stop..
It's been a while since I read it. It's basically a compilation of short stories. I bought it at the airport in the mid nineties to read on a plane trip. I got a few strange looks as I couldnt keep the laughs silent a lot of the time. I do recall the landmarks named after sportspeople, not sure if its from this book though.

soc123_au

Staff member
I hope that one day both of them release their back catalogues. I contacted their agent in seeking permission to release the many episodes of This Sporting Life (they themselves own all the rights to all their works, and not the ABC), but no replies so far.

I respect them too much to release anything on any "distribution service" without their permission, so it looks like I have a big job in converting a lot of tapes to digital media for my own use.

I dont suppose you have the Lithgow Olympics one recorded?

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
“Yessssssssssssssss :musical_score:” - Roy Slaven

And it really is the little things that crack me up. Even Roy’s whistley “S’s” at the end of a long “Yessss” in agreement to HG is enough to get me chuckling.

“Ooooh geeze he’s angry tonight. He’s so angry he would punch a fish!” - I can’t even remember which one of them said it but I remember just laughing my arse off.

Good to know they are still around.
A favourite of mine revolves around when you know you've had enough painkillers. I think it goes as follows:

"You know you've had enough when you can drive a bus up your own date and don't even know until the passengers get off"

I had to pull over and took a good 10 minutes before I could drive again. Best laugh I've had in an age.

Heheh. I’m listening to them from most recent backwards and they haven’t changed a bit. I’m walking around snickering to myself like Mutley as the missus shakes her head.

They seem to be having a few shots at AFL which is always funny.

Gillon - The Murderer. :joy:

Latest posts