What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roy Asotasi

bunnies

Juniors
Rabbitohs Sign NZ International Roy Asotasi for Five Years

150_1591_0.jpg
The Real Insurance Rabbitohs have announced the signing of New Zealand international Roy Asotasi today, agreeing to a five-year contract with the famous South Sydney Club.
The Rabbitohs secured the signature of the game’s premier front-row forward ahead of strong offers from other NRL Clubs including the Sydney Roosters and Wests Tigers, and Clubs in the UK Super League. Asotasi, 24, has led the fearsome Bulldogs’ pack from the front on 77 occasions, plus he has represented the Kiwis in ten Tests. Asotasi is also a premiership winner, taking out the title with the Bulldogs in 2004.
Rabbitohs CEO Shane Richardson says Asotasi’s signing is an historic one for the Club, signalling the best recruitment drive the Club has seen since reinstatement.
“This is an historic day for the Rabbitohs as we have signed one of the world’s best front-row forwards for an extended period, which is a real coup for this Club going forward,” Mr Richardson said.
“We can now add Roy’s signing to the recruitment of Nigel Vagana, David Kidwell and Dean Widders for next year, coupled with the exciting young players we have secured at the Club.
“This is a fantastic new start for the Rabbitohs and we look forward to seeing Roy and his fellow recruits in red and green next season.”
Asotasi, 24, says he was attracted to the Rabbitohs because of the plans the Club has both on and off the field and the stability that presents.
“The management at Souths have shown me a plan for the future which I had to be a part of,” Asotasi said.
“The Club has made some great signings for next season and I can’t wait to play on a regular basis with guys like David Kidwell, Nigel Vagana, David Fa’alogo and Joe Galuvao. I’ve had a taste of it at Test level and to play with them week-in and week-out is something I’m looking forward to.
“I have made a decision about which Club I see my career flourishing with and I feel that the Rabbitohs will give me the opportunity to play with some very talented players every week and I’m looking forward to helping them move up the premiership ladder and to greater success.”
Rabbitohs Executive Chairman Peter Holmes à Court says the Rabbitohs will be seen differently now in the eyes of Rugby League supporters.
“The combination of our four big signings in Vagana, Kidwell, Widders and now Asotasi means that in 2007 the Rabbitohs offer a totally different proposition for our Sponsors and our Members,” Mr Holmes à Court said.
“It moves us away from the current perception of the Club, to a credible claim to be a top eight contender. This holds great historical significance for this famous Club in our 100th season.
“We’re putting together, with the high profile outside recruits and the development of our young players, a team that can fulfil the hopes and dreams of our many supporters.
“We know we still have a lot of work to do to build the off field systems, procedures and facilities that are necessary to maximise the potential of players such as Roy, but I’m confident we’ll have them in place for the 2007 season.”

Wobbygong

First Grade
Roy apparently wasn't on big money at the Doggies anyway (part of the whole problem) so even with him leaving he doesn't free up much salary cap, Myles may still be lost.

PARANoIR

Bench
Good luck to Roy. He has served him well.

Like Pricey, I will continue to support him.