What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roy Master’s article

Dea

Juniors
Read Masters article and also one with Frizell and although both suggest that next year will be better, I can’t see it happening. The problem comes back to coaching and no matter the assistance he gets, while he is the head our brains trusts for game plan, player management and strategy, the team is shot. The worse thing I can see happen is the team plays well for 4-6 weeks, the club gives him another extension before the inevitable fade and fail in performance.

SaintPauli

Juniors
The coaches and the players are there because of the fans.

IMO the players who looked at boycotting should have been told to leave the club.

The club admin. Stuffed up big time handling this issue.

The performances this year were under par and the intensity and players efforts were mostly lesser than opposition teams.

- our support play was literally non existent. McInnes would often make a line break and no support would be near by.

- our forwards were soft

- our forwards barely offloaded this year compared to last. Luciano was overall our best with runs and offloads.

- our backs played disinterested and only played portions of games.

- coach motivation, ideas and admin failed immensely.

- The club has lost its pride.

Fresh faces needed in both players and coaching.

St Hope

Juniors
Well the patter continues this time by a former coach telling of the DNA of the Dragons, talking of players being a Dragon for life once they have played there, of the club being bigger than the sum of it's representatives and a credit to our locality as the punctuation to the song .
Sadly he is talking of another time whether we like it or not these things are no longer the purview of any of the NRL clubs including ST ILL and we will never see the like again.
The only DNA is in the supporters who will follow their chosen side for life ,spend money on paraphernalia changed by the clubs at every opportunity to get you to spend more ,avidly read in the papers or on the net about their sides and ride their sides fortunes like ships on the high seas.
Yet again another journo glossing over the previous years of mediocrity ,of the downward spiral in the 2nd half of seasons and everything else they have failed to achieve in the years under Mary.
Masters would not have got his 6 seasons at the club if his sides had finished where Mary's have ,
And Please stop taking 1 season in isolation our memories are not ephemeral we can remember back past this years effort as said before the side is truly in the supporters DNA.
SACK McGREGOR

getsmarty

Immortal
The coaches and the players are there because of the fans.

IMO the players who looked at boycotting should have been told to leave the club.

The club admin. Stuffed up big time handling this issue.

The performances this year were under par and the intensity and players efforts were mostly lesser than opposition teams.

- our support play was literally non existent. McInnes would often make a line break and no support would be near by.

- our forwards were soft

- our forwards barely offloaded this year compared to last. Luciano was overall our best with runs and offloads.

- our backs played disinterested and only played portions of games.

- coach motivation, ideas and admin failed immensely.

- The club has lost its pride.

Fresh faces needed in both players and coaching.

Agree st Pauli..although as others have stated...would you ever see this type of scenario under a Bennett/Bellamy/Robinson ?....I Say No...and there lies your answer.

Last edited:

possm

Coach
Read Masters article and also one with Frizell and although both suggest that next year will be better, I can’t see it happening. The problem comes back to coaching and no matter the assistance he gets, while he is the head our brains trusts for game plan, player management and strategy, the team is shot. The worse thing I can see happen is the team plays well for 4-6 weeks, the club gives him another extension before the inevitable fade and fail in performance.
You're right! So let's just sack McGregor and sign Brown. All done on the coaching side.

dragonreddy

Juniors
The thing with Masters' article he talks about all these good men like they are doing their jobs on a volunteer basis, these blokes are getting paid very very well for their SELFLESS efforts.

This also includes our players ,any CEO with balls should have told our bunch of under achievers , fine you want to boycott the game then your salary stops getting paid immediately . If this were to happen it would be interesting to see how committed all these blokes were to De Belin then.

As most have agreed above I am so over hearing endless excuses and just utter bullshit from all involved at Saints , I've always liked Roy Maters but this article is just rubbish and helping his mates polish the turd that is coming next year.

If DeBelin is such an issue sack the moron and get rid of anyone else that wants to carry on about it,TBH there isn't many worth keeping , give them a bit of Frank Facer treatment.

TruSaint

Referee
Im sure the players got together to devise a "boycott" plan... NOT

What a crock of shit.

Are there some players whom as a result of being sold "good news coming" BS by the club that felt JDB was hard done by ? Sure.. I would guess most just wanted the whole f**king drama to go away and play footy.

I posted well before the Roy article, that Mary and the Club PRIOR to a game where watching the news unfold live as to Jacks appeal.. Unbelievable. Mary admitted doing so, saying " we all expected him to play today".

The players were never going to boycott, and if they did ( encouraged by those above as an out ), we would have been even a greater laughing stock than we are. From CEO down to coach, the JDB matter was handled like amateurs..... Now, the spin has turned our players into shields, given scripted notes on what to say. .

Wittenberg

Juniors
Was at a function last Friday at ClubCentral where the night celebrated the Saints team and their partners from our 1979 grand final winning side. Young, Reddy, Edge, Trudgett, Schulman, Brennan and others were there. I spoke to Reddy who talked so passionately about Harry Bath and Steve Edge, he basically described our Club at the moment as a basket case.

TruSaint

Referee
Was at a function last Friday at ClubCentral where the night celebrated the Saints team and their partners from our 1979 grand final winning side. Young, Reddy, Edge, Trudgett, Schulman, Brennan and others were there. I spoke to Reddy who talked so passionately about Harry Bath and Steve Edge, he basically described our Club at the moment as a basket case.

He would be right. Im sooo tired of the "victim" syndrome we have embraced.
Harden the f**k up. You want to send a message to the NRL re the new stand down rule? Get out and play your hearts out... Stop the whining and move on.

Last edited:

gorilla

First Grade
Just shows that when our pants got pulled down, someone forgot to to wear underpants.
Someone should have distributed anti depressants and amphetamines.
Next year will be better and the year afterwards might be but McGregor will continue to be a handicap.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
How can the club allow the players to get into the mindset where a adverse court decision got them into such a tissy is beyond belief. Where is the leadership?

Exactly- If McGregor had any brains and what Roy Masters says is true, he could have used the De Belin suspension as a motivating tool for the players. "Let's do it for Jack' could have been the rallying cry as it often is when teams lose players to long term injury or even due to send off on the day of a match. I fear that Roy may be just another "old boy" protecting mates from his era (like Craig Young) at the club and ignoring the reality of Mary's incredibly poor coaching record as well.

Latest posts