What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Roy Master's Quotes

Bigfella

Coach
I read a piece by Roy in this morning's SMH.

I think it's been a while since I read an anything I agreed with less:

In Melbourne, despite losing by eight points, the Blues were more dangerous on the advantage line with their passing than the Maroons.
Halfback Mitchell Pearce and five-eighth Todd Carney offered more attacking options and back-rower Glenn Stewart was particularly lethal running to Queensland's left and centre Greg Inglis.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ered-20120524-1z7ty.html#ixzz1vpzwbGJ0[/QUOTE]

I thought if anything that we competed on the edges and in the middle, and even out of dummy half.

I would have thought the three players mentioned were actually by far our most disappointing in terms of the difference between what they have been doing at club level and what they did on Wednesday.

I would have thought that the halves had more than enough opportunities to win the match and it was their lack of effectiveness that cost us more than anything.

I'd be sticking with them for the series but surely if we lose Pearce won't be halfback for years.

Am I missing something or is Roy completely past it?

pazzaeel

Juniors
Agree. Prob our worst 3 along with Brett Stewart and Buhrer. Glenn Stewart was woeful. Would love to see his average metres per hit up. And that penalty was idiotic.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Roy has lost the plot, Pearce went ok but Carney and Stewart were average at best. Gallen, Hayne and Farah were our best.

Someone

Bench
Origin will return to being a specticle when its not a training run for the Australian side. NSW were by far the better team on wednesday IMO and still lost by 8 points.

Thats a massive indication of how strong that QLD side is. IMO QLD played their worst game in years and we still didnt look like winning.

Eels Dude

Coach
We offered nothing in attacking the line other night. The halves were the ones that let us down. Our forwards go on the front foot and Hayne, Jennings etc were great but they did all their work out of dummy half and themselves, and were offered nothing by the halves. Lack of creativity by the halves in our opposition 20 was why we lost the game. No smart reactive thinking and the same last tackle play every time. Don't know what game Roy was watching.

eel01s

Bench
We offered nothing in attacking the line other night. The halves were the ones that let us down. Our forwards go on the front foot and Hayne, Jennings etc were great but they did all their work out of dummy half and themselves, and were offered nothing by the halves. Lack of creativity by the halves in our opposition 20 was why we lost the game. No smart reactive thinking and the same last tackle play every time. Don't know what game Roy was watching.

It was like watching Parra play (when the Blues had the ball).

Parra Pride

Coach
We had way to many players who you wouldn't know played if not for being shown the line up before the game, Lewis, G.Stewart, Creagh, the only Backrower of ours who did anything was Bird, but we all knew that would happen because Bird always steps up in Origin. The only reason I noticed Merrin was because of his stupid giving QLD six again, and Buhrer because Stuart had the genius idea to replace Farah with him.

#WatmoughShouldHaveBeenThere

Last edited:

lingard

Coach
Why is it a farce?

Origin is a farce because it is so over-hyped. This artificial enmity between Qld and NSW doesn`t exist. Nobody really has any pasion for their whole state. Their town or suburb, maybe. But not their state. As a series of exhibition games, it`s a wonderful event; but it`s ruined by the notion that you have to win it.
IMO, selection for those teams should be a reward for a player`s exceptional form. Something a player can look back on at the end of their careers and say, "I was selected in an origin team". Instead, we select the same old players over and over again, regardless of form, because they`ve performed at that level before. Why? Because for some reason 'we have to win'. Win an exhibition game? State of Origin has lost it`s soul.

Suitman

Post Whore
Origin is a farce because it is so over-hyped. This artificial enmity between Qld and NSW doesn`t exist. Nobody really has any pasion for their whole state. Their town or suburb, maybe. But not their state. As a series of exhibition games, it`s a wonderful event; but it`s ruined by the notion that you have to win it.
IMO, selection for those teams should be a reward for a player`s exceptional form. Something a player can look back on at the end of their careers and say, "I was selected in an origin team". Instead, we select the same old players over and over again, regardless of form, because they`ve performed at that level before. Why? Because for some reason 'we have to win'. Win an exhibition game? State of Origin has lost it`s soul.

But when does an exhibition game become a rep game?
This is a rep game. It has passion.
Why has it lost it's soul?
Because team mate doesn't bash team mate any more?
I think you'll find that's a change in culture in the game, nothing else.
S.O.O has been sanitised by the rules.

Suity

Eels Dude

Coach

That's rubbish. The passion is there because it's been built up over the years to become what it is. The same way a lot of rivalries between clubs have been built up over the years. Let's take our rivalry between us and the Bulldogs for example. I doubt many Eels fan hate Canterbury as a town, or specifically hate the people that reside there... but the rivarly is built on the passion.

I don't really care about test matches between Australia and NZ because the rivalry isn't really there, but the rivalry between NSW and QLD in SOO is there and it created the passion. Picking a rep team and rewarding players for exceptional form is a different thing. The objective is to win the game. The AFL name an All Australian side every year just for acknowledging good form but how many people care about that.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
That's rubbish. The passion is there because it's been built up over the years to become what it is. The same way a lot of rivalries between clubs have been built up over the years. Let's take our rivalry between us and the Bulldogs for example. I doubt many Eels fan hate Canterbury as a town, or specifically hate the people that reside there... but the rivarly is built on the passion.

I don't really care about test matches between Australia and NZ because the rivalry isn't really there, but the rivalry between NSW and QLD in SOO is there and it created the passion. Picking a rep team and rewarding players for exceptional form is a different thing. The objective is to win the game. The AFL name an All Australian side every year just for acknowledging good form but how many people care about that.

I hate people from Bankstown.

pk76

Juniors
I get what Roy is saying.

Yeah, Carney didn't have the best game but his potential is there. Having the current halves and Farrah makes our kicking game on par with Queensland for the first time in ages.

Glenn Stewart was okay, not outstanding, but useful on the right edge. If he could link up better with others rather than his brother, there will be tries.

Bring in Watmough, T-Rex makes a miraculous recovery and we may just win the series.

Latest posts