What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Royal Rumble 2017

Or have Jericho not get involved (or look like it and have second thoughts), and you set up Jericho vs Owens with the idea that Jericho finally came good and didn't help his best friend.

Meth

Staff member
Just watched the match.

Orton winning was great. I felt for sure that either Goldberg or, at the end, Reigns would win (when he threw out Wyatt, it started to feel a bit Hogan-esque)

All that star power only to have them on air for like 5 min.

Yeah, ridiculously light on stars for the first half of the match.

Undertaker looks ridiculously old and laboured. It was the first time that I actually believed he was a dead man. Well past retirement time.

I didn't like Lesnar being made short work of by Goldberg at Survivor Series...at least, I think I didn't. But if you are going to do it once, it is pretty awesome to do it twice. Now a guy who has seemed impervious over the last few years seems fragile. I don't know where its going, but it's a pretty bold story line.

Also, very short on surprises. Was Mark Henry it?

Eelementary

Post Whore
Just watched the match.

Orton winning was great. I felt for sure that either Goldberg or, at the end, Reigns would win (when he threw out Wyatt, it started to feel a bit Hogan-esque)

Undertaker looks ridiculously old and laboured. It was the first time that I actually believed he was a dead man. Well past retirement time.

I didn't like Lesnar being made short work of by Goldberg at Survivor Series...at least, I think I didn't. But if you are going to do it once, it is pretty awesome to do it twice. Now a guy who has seemed impervious over the last few years seems fragile. I don't know where its going, but it's a pretty bold story line.

Yep.

He's one of my favourites of all time, but he looked pretty old and slow.

Still- I've enormous respect for the man.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Just watched the match.

Yeah, I wasn't a fan of what happened at Survivor Series, and I'm not a fan of what happened at the Rumble.

Nothing against Goldberg, but it doesn't make sense.

I mean, sure - it gives Bill a rub.

But it damages Lesnar's mystique, imo.

Meth

Staff member
Yeah, I wasn't a fan of what happened at Survivor Series, and I'm not a fan of what happened at the Rumble.

Nothing against Goldberg, but it doesn't make sense.

I mean, sure - it gives Bill a rub.

But it damages Lesnar's mystique, imo.

Yeah, I agree. I am intrigued as to what the end game is

Undertaker may be slow and laboured, but the moment of Goldberg standing in a ring bodies everywhere then the gong hitting and Taker emerging behind him was amazing.

I get the Reigns entrance, they needed a babyface for the Wyatts to beat at the end, putting Reigns in that place guarantees the fans don't boo the event out of the building. Roman vs Taker should be good anyway (say what you want about Roman, bell-to-bell he's great, Taker can pick up his slack on the promos, he needs something heavy to make a heel turn work).

When number 10 was coming in I was sure the WWE were going to pull a 2015 troll job with Gold dust again, the Tye Dillinger stuff was on everyone's wish list so I was expecting them to troll us again.

Meth

Staff member
Undertaker may be slow and laboured, but the moment of Goldberg standing in a ring bodies everywhere then the gong hitting and Taker emerging behind him was amazing.

The gong is always cool. His entrance music will always be meaningful for wrestling fans. But him appearing in the ring is old hat now. Him eliminating Goldberg was odd too...you do all that work to get Goldberg over and then have a guy who can hardly move dump him over the ropes. (Interestingly, Goldberg and Undertaker are about the same age).

I have no idea why Undertaker would enter the Royal Rumble in 2017.

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
He's Taker, he doesn't need a reason!

I never thought Braun, Goldberg or Lesnar would win. I figured Goldberg would eliminate Lesnar, but then Lesnar to come back in and dump Goldberg out - Much happier with what we got. And Braun typically did what I thought, dominate, and then be out before we reached the latter stages.

It got me thinking, with the face off between Lesnar, Taker and Goldberg, and then Goldberg eliminating Lesnar, then Goldberg being dumped by Taker that perhaps a triple threat between the three and mania could be a possibility. What better way for Lesnar to regain his credibility than beating Taker again at Mania, and beating Goldberg who has dominated him. Then Reigns happened.

I was hoping 30, like everyone else, would have been Joe or Finn. I predicted pre-match that HBK would make an entrance. Angle, Seth other options (Why wasn't Seth involved?). Then Roman came out....It was like a being a kid pulling something out of a lucky dip, only for it to be a piece of coal.

There was always something in to keep me interested. Few downfalls, already mentioned by many people

- Lack of surprises. Tye is the biggest one. I know people were wanting Finn, Joe, Nakamura, Angle, even Triple H. Shelton Benjamin, RVD or Carlito would have been nice. How surprising would a Broken Matt Hardy have been?!?
- Very back heavy (e.g Taker, Goldberg, Lesnar, Roman like 4 of the last 5 or 6)
- Grouping of things, someone nailed it on the head there that all the feud participants seem to be close together. Wyatt family, newday/cesaro/sheamus. Heck even Jericho and Cass
- Michael Coles commentary. A stat here or there is nice, but it was like he was narrating the history of the Rumble.
- Roman being 30. So many other directions they could have taken. If Roman was in, it made no sense for AJ not to have been included. To be honest, I'd have been happier if it was Kane. One last staredown between the pair, or one last time working together. Where was Kane anyway? Has he retired, injured or just not entered in?

Good things
- Corbin eliminating Braun was good. I was happy with that
- Goldbergs booking (I'm a Golberg mark, so to see him dominate Lesnar is personally very appealling)
- Roman NOT winning it
- Some good moments, Harper for example

I love seeing a retro star or two come in at the Rumble, eg I mark out when Diesel/Nash appear, DDP etc

Not the worst rumble, but no means the best rumble. Just, well, pretty average. Although I will remember it fondly due to Goldberg (WCW mark)

Meth

Staff member
That Rumble could have done with Seth Rollins. If he was fit, he needed to be in there.

azzah72

Bench
I don't get the AJ should have been in there if Roman was in there argument.

Sure it would of been nice but AJ gets a rematch because he was champion, Reigns didn't.

It doesn't mean I wanted reigns but that's the logic I'd assume.

I agree with the sentiments that I would of liked a couple more surprises, even just for pops sake in replacement of nuffies like Kalisto, crews or elsworth, 27 being enzo was stupid.

I for some reason thought 30 was going to be Kane, not thinking Reigns would be in it.

Even Big show being in it was a bit stupid given he has basically already challenged shaq.

Despite all of that, it was a decent rumble, better than the last 2.

I was really hoping for Jericho

Latest posts