What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Royal Rumble 2018 chat *** SPOILERS ***

Whilst I can appreciate the fan's sentiments, Rousey is a far bigger deal globally than Asuka, and the WWE were always going to get huge bump in the media from her appearance. Hell, even WWOS has reported on it!

azzah72

Bench
Twitter has lit up with cries of Asuka's win being buried by Rousey's appearance.

Ronda is full time too, no Lesnar contract.

Whilst I agree with the sentiment, I liked that Asuka got her little bad ass moment refusing to shake her hand. Could lead to something fun.

nöyd

Staff member
I think it was DDP who said the other day that any appearance by Ronda would (in his opinion) be on the same level as Tyson/Austin/HBK back in 1998.

Wato

Juniors
Amazing rumble best I have ever watched. WWE got their booking perfect tonight furthered storylines and cemented Asuka and Nakamura as stars plus Rouseys debut was great really well handled. I think Rousey being full time she might get the belt before Mania and face Asuka their.

Iafeta

Referee
Twitter has lit up with cries of Asuka's win being buried by Rousey's appearance.

Great marketing ploy. 100% they want people talking on twitter about it. I mean heck I have lost interest in WWE but even I'm talking about it.

shiznit

Coach
It must be pretty f**ked for the Male roster to have a chick who could legit break their arms in less than 30 seconds if she wanted to...:joy::joy:

It’s also pretty f**ked for the female roster that her husband will probably have no qualms beating the shit out of them himself.... :joy::joy:

A few other talking points from the male rumble:

Corbin is getting fed to the dogs isn’t he. Straight up elimination. Wish he would f**k off, so boring

The Rey spot was great. Looked in amazing shape, would love to see him wrestle Finn or put over Dillinger at wrestlemania

Speaking of which, the dillenger beat down was stupid. If SZ can do that why wouldn’t that happens 10x every rumble? So dumb

No DB sucked....is that the end of the speculation or does he maybe bust out an angle tomorrow night?

How stuck in the mid card is Rollins. Fear for his future...going nowhere fast

Sheamus elimination was a good surprise

Good to see them give rusev a good run. Are they finally going to do something with him?

Would’ve loved to have seen honky Tonk come out to confront Elias with the battling guitars. Or JJ...but that was never going to happen

nöyd

Staff member
One thing that could have gone arse up was Lita's moonsault - if she shorted that by another millimetre she would have landed on her forehead.

Molly Holly was looking tidy too.

I disagree with the "burial" sooks. Rousey has major mainstream appeal......and Asuka got the big win. Immediately gets Asuka over with the casual audience. The more I think about it, the more I like it.

Last edited:

nöyd

Staff member
I disagree with the "burial" sooks. Rousey has major mainstream appeal......and Asuka got the big win. Immediately gets Asuka over with the casual audience. The more I think about it, the more I like it.
Oh I agree bud, fact is she is money, and no doubt those that have switched off will switch back on for a look.

nöyd

Staff member
That would have to be the ultimate or end goal I would guess, but I believe they need the male product to get bums on seats first, just my opinion. I can't see a womens only show filling an entire arena.

I think the crowd was well into the womens rumble today for the most part, from what I recall the lulls and dead air came when the members of the Riott Squad and Absolution entered, basically 5 wrestlers with the same entrance, music, gimmick etc.

Only would have been worse had Paige been fit and able.

nöyd

Staff member
Paige's music is awesome, but it is hers, always has been, it shouldn't be for the other 2 girls or for their stable.

Are we seeing the impact of not having Jim Johnston around already?

Yeh would agree. I feel like they’ve lost a lot of the people that made wwe what it was over recent years

Silly question, but if dillenger was legitimately number 10 and never got eliminated....shouldn’t he still be in the match? Hasn’t bullshit like that happened in other rumbles where the guy makes it to the ring 30mins later? The whole thing with SZ running in didn’t make any sense

Wato

Juniors
What happened to Dillinger’s has happened a number of times before and that entrant just loses their place like when Rowan did it to Axell or Foley did it to test and I think Angel did it to someone one year too. It’s just one of those odd WWE rules.

Jim Johnston’s departure is interesting because he has not really done many themes in recent years most of them are done by CFOS including Paige’s. I actually think Paige’s theme makes sense for Rose and Deville because when they debuted them pledged their loyalty to Paige as the originator of the women’s evolution.

Thought both matches were very good. The event has HHH's fingerprints all over it (I find it hard to believe Vince rubber stamped those results without heavy lobbying from HHH), glad to see them pull the trigger on both the Japanese stars.

Highlights from both matches
-Rey, Trish, Michelle, Lita, Beth & others returning
-Naomi getting the Kofi moment
-The final 4 sequence in the men's match
-Rusev getting booked well
-NXT stars getting a chance in both matches
-Both winners
-The Heath Slater gag
-Kofi's annual big spot, after a few years of lacking creativity, was very good
-Steph's commentary, not bigging herself up, name-dropping Chyna, doing everything she could to put over the ladies in the ring

Lowlights
-Ziggler's return becoming inconsequential (back to mid card obscurity)
-Mens match dragged a little in the early to mid stages
-Nia being a bit of a non-entity after some early dominance
-Too many women rolling out of the ring when they weren't eliminated, made it hard to follow

Overall, one of the better events in years.

Parra Pride

Coach
All the surprises got great pops, especially ADAM COLE BAY BAY.

I loved the fact that every heel entry kicked Slater on the way to the ring.