What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RPod2 - Player movements 2006

melon....

Coach
Listen to the PodCast here: RPod - Roosters Podcast

Hello again and welcome to the second instalment of The Rugby League Site's - Roosters Pod cast. We're coming to you tonight Perched on the cross bar of Aussie Stadiums' Northern Goalposts, and it’s a whole different perspective from up here let me tell you.

I am grateful Timana Tahu is not a Rooster, because believe you me; I am in no position to be dodging one of his crossbar slam dunks.

I am familiar with Novocastrian fists, but it’s not something I need to deal with from up here in my current position.

In the first RPodcast, we touched on a couple of lingering thoughts. In this episode, we will expand on those thoughts as well as review The Roosters Player Movements and what those changes will mean to the club and its supporters.

Like every other true blue Roosters fan, I can summarise the past decade as a new era at The Roosters. I think most fans old enough to understand what the arrival of Brad Fittler in the mid 90s meant to us, will attest that the past decade has been a wild roller coaster ride of highs and lows, but mostly sprinkled with success we hadn’t seen for 25 years.

The last 3 seasons though have been an eye-opener for many Roosters Fans. 2002 was definitely the pinnacle with our first Premiership in 27 years.

2003 and 2004 redefined and some say divided the sometimes fickle Roosters fan base, but with good reason.

We were clearly favoured to make 2002-2005 a "three-peat". Many fans with a good knowledge of the Roosters teams of the past, can say the teams of 2002-2004 were probably the best balanced teams across the park to wear the Tricolours. Artie's 74/75 Roosters redefined excellence and until now were probably the greatest team in the modern era of rugby league.

The teams of 2002-2004 were just as good in my opinion. And the chance to prove it was never better. The motivation was there, as was momentum and big match experience. But alas it wasn’t to be with 2 very ordinary performances leading to back to back Grand Final losses. The echoes of those losses are enormous and the ringing is still loud and clear. Analysis of these losses continue today and until The Roosters bombed out of the semis for the first time in a decade, the reasoning and analysis was slightly diverted from the truth.

Brad Fittler could be brilliant on his day. And the weight of expectation in 03 and 04 was too big even for his shoulders. Unfortunately, what 2005 highlighted was the Roosters had lived by Fittler's sword for too long, and were ill prepared for his eventual departure from the field. His leadership was missed. His ability to save the big plays and produce them when needed was gone.

2005 highlighted that the roosters were in no way shape or form ready for an assault on the Premiership. Some will say that Fittler's departure was a huge mental stumbling block. Some justify the mediocrity of 2005, by hiding behind the "success" of the past decade, and others just trot out the line "You can’t win them all".

I say you should win the ones you are capable of.

The results suggested that Fittler's departure was only 1 ingredient in the humble pie of failure we had to swallow.

Actually Fittler's departure re-affirms the evidence. The error the Roosters made that struck in the form of 2005 failure was the lack of planning for the post-Fittler era. This lack of planning was in the halves. The current halves that were charged with the task of organising and implementing the game plans that worked so well in the past dropped the ball...literally. The Roosters went from a potent attacking side to a team that took 12 rounds to perfect catch and pass football basics. The Ferrari backline was all of a sudden running like a P76 with only 3 cylinders. The lack of quality ball was staggering. Uncharacteristic errors crept in to their game, and even so, they managed to win some of the 50/50 games.

The close games they lost were due to the lack of a cool head and a football brain. These are two more characteristics Fittler took with him when he hung up the boots.

We have to face the facts. For all the effort and passion displayed, our 2005 halves combinations, all 6 of them, couldn’t cut the mustard. I’m not saying they needed to be Brad Fittler. but First grade halves coached, trained and managed by the best in the business, have no place in any Roosters side making the errors in judgement they made. The kicking game execution was poor, and there was a distinct panic near the oppositions red zone. 2 years ago the same side, would put 50 on teams. This side would end games at half time.

The biggest target of my criticism is Brett Finch. I’ve been outspoken about his performances and lack of vision and execution. So much so that I have alienated myself from the majority of feel good Roosters Fans, that don’t want to accept that Brett Finch's performances on the field in 2005 not only dragged our attacking record from one of the best to one of the worst in the league, but also included the plays and errors that made us lose the very close games, which ultimately cost us a spot in the top 8. Thinking back to the Cronulla Game where we trailed by a couple of points with 2 minutes left on the clock. We were peppering their goal line and looked to be the next to score and win the game. Finch received the ball on a late tackle in the count and kicked for touch. Why?

It was a panic judgement in error from our playmaker. It was one of many in 2005. Is it any wonder we missed out? But the fans maintain.....WE MUST SUPPORT HIM HE'S A ROOSTERS AFTER ALL!!! What these Fans should understand is even a Broken Clock is right 2 times a day...but in the end it’s still a broken clock.

Boooo I can hear the Chookpen boo me down and I can see the so called fanatics throwing tomatoes at me.

So be it. Ask the man himself, and he will admit, he failed, and he let us down. He did as much in recent interviews throughout the 2005 season. He admitted to not taking control in the 2004 Grand Final. And he promised something that he couldn’t fulfil. To make amends in 2005.

Brett Finch is our current halfback. And even with my views, I can recognise he will start the 2006 season as our halfback. I’m willing to accept that decision solely because Ricky Stuart will be making that call. And I trust Stuart's judgement, even if I doubt Finch's ability. Well I have until now. This is by every means a last chance. And the inevitable awaits.

But The Roosters had planned very poorly for this day, and I guess testament to their errors was missing the semis for the first time in a decade.

On the horizon there is hope. Brett Finch may well start the 2006 season, but he will be pressured to perform by the up and coming Jamie Soward and new Flegg recruit Josh Lewis. These 2 have a world of potential and should ensure their presence at training and at the games will keep Finch on his toes.

For the sake of the club we love so much I would love nothing more than to see Finch pushed to another level by these whiz kids. Then again, if he continues failing, he will pay the price and be replaced by one of these 2. It’s a win/win situation, although one is more likely to occur than the other. Ultimately Easts can’t lose.

So let’s look forward to the day our halves problem is fixed. I expect Messrs Stuart and Flannigan will correct that problem in 2006 one way or another.

One factor that will possibly contribute to the solution is the signing of Braith Anasta. Physically in the mould of Fittler, with similar experience at all levels also having started his career as a teenager, he should provide the leadership and link to the lethal backline that was starved of quality possession last season.

I say should because I’m not totally convinced by Anasta...yet. I believe he has a mountain of untapped potential. He has been hot and cold throughout his career. But what I do like is his reason for signing with us instead of the Bulldogs or his junior club Souths. He wants to work with Stuart. And he believes that the former great halfback IS the one capable of dragging the best out of Anasta. As Fittler was our Messiah, Anasta seems to have a similar opinion of Stuart. The man charged with re-inventing Anasta's game, and igniting the potential into a masterful reality.

Yes I’m optimistic about Anasta. Another factor that contributes to that optimism is the other high profile acquisition for the Roosters, Ashley Harrison. He could very well supply the cool head attitude that we lacked last season. Was handed the responsibilities of Captaincy at Souths at a young age, and handled them with the aplomb of a seasoned veteran. He isn’t a captaincy candidate at Bondi for nothing. I believe he should definitely be considered.

So Ashley Harrison and Braith Anasta are the high profile signings at The Roosters. Other signings include:

Charlie Tonga - a bulky prop that provided good powerful impact from the bench at Canterbury. He is a wrecking ball but his weakness is his ball handling. If we fixed Richard Fa'aosso's, we can Fix Mr. T's. Strip a couple of Kegs off him and I can see him and Toops labelled - Team Havoc.

Mark Edmondson - too small for the NRL as a Prop or so they say. The Englishman does have one good thing going for him. He's unassuming attitude. He is passionate and humbled by the opportunity to represent a great club in the greatest league in the world. And sometimes the lack of size is more than made up for with the abundance of Heart! Horrie Hastings case in point. If he can settle into our way of life and the conditions of the NRL, I’m sure he'll be a favourite for the fans in a couple of seasons.

I’m looking towards Adrian Morley in providing the advice and guidance to both Mark and Charlie. Morley will be the key forward leader next season. He leads by example and is respected by all, team mates and opposition. He is the key to getting the best out of our new pigs.

Midway through the 2005 Season we acquired Daniel Dumas. The Former Sharks back rower come Prop, willingly slotted into the Premier League Side and performed as one of our best towards the end of the season. Players like Nigel Plum and Daniel will have the opportunity to secure a bench spot in First Grade with continued improvement.

Our junior ranks have lost a few up and comers to other clubs and leagues, but over all the Premier League and Jersey Flegg squads are looking good with some exciting acquisitions balancing the ledger.

The impact of our First Grade departing players is yet to be realised and only time will tell if these up and coming players can fill the seats of their higher profiled counterparts.

2 Big losses for The Roosters are Jason Cayless and Mick Crocker. They were both a part of all 3 Grand Finals from 02-04. Mick Crocker's aggression and intensity will be missed, although the former got a little out of hand in 2005 leading him to frustrating errors. He is a better player than that and will be a huge asset to Craig Bellamy and the Storm.

Jason Cayless or "The Bludger” as my colleague Brain refers him to played himself out of the market thanks to the restraint of trade we had to have, also known as the Salary cap. He was magnificent and made Brain eat his words adding more weight to his established considerable girth. Captain Caveman was one of our best in 2005, until injuries robbed him of momentum towards the end. He didn’t see himself playing against The Roosters, and along with the bigger dollars of The English Super League, will front for St.Helens in 2006.

Add to that Chris Walker to Melbourne with Ned Catic released and the opportunity for the younger blokes to step up is there.

One of the few shining lights from 2005 was the eventual debut of Dave Shillington. After a couple of years with niggling injuries, he was presented the opportunity to replace the injured Cayless, and showed glimpses of his true potential against more favoured forward packs, often winning the exchanges. I hope he stays fit and shows us more of the preview we got last year. He could be a missing link for our forward pack.

And a big thanks to the departed following:

Gavin Lester (Wing/Centre) – Retired
Brett Firman (Halfback/Five-Eighth) – Cowboys. Unfortunately didn’t gel nor was he given the time to adjust.
Ben Hannant (Prop) - Brisbane Broncos
George Rose (Prop) - Manly Sea Eagles

Last but not least, one of our greatest clubmen, Luke Ricketson Retired. Even though you killed our 4th tackle option in the backline Luke, you will always be a Roosters Legend.

Of the younger players in the lower Grades, Notable losses include:
Grant Rovelli to the Warriors
McKonkie Tauasa - Central Comets in the QRL
James Aubbaussen - Melbourne Storm
Peewee Moke - Cronulla Sharks

And exciting prospects and acquisitions include:

Josh Lewis - from St.George Illawarra. This is the kid that could well secure the first grade halfback spot sooner than later.

Mitchell Pearce (Halfback/Five-Eighth) - North Sydney Bears
Lewis Brown (five eighth) - Canterbury, NZ
Charlie Herekotukutuku (centre) - Canterbury, NZ
Setaimata Sa - a centre/back rower in the SBW mould who played for the Junior Kiwis with Soliola a year or so back. The Warriors and Canterbury Super 12 Rugby team were chasing him as well.
David Pangai - a centre from the Tigers Flegg side last season who some say has a step like Freddy.
Codie Medway - who was playing centre for St Josephs College last year and made the Australian Schoolboys Rugby side. And Anton Levin another Union Representative with a glowing report card and pace to burn.

Add to these kids the growing experience of Danny Williams, Schubert and Le'Strange and The Roosters lower Grade talent and feed into the top grade is looking good.

Our weakness next year? We must shake geniusing nature of our halves and the lack of genuine size in the pack may be a concern. Positives include the rise and rise of Anthony Minichiello who has reached the pinnacle for any Rugby League player, Ryan Cross who will play representative football in 06 as will Soliola. Craig Wing. If Wing regains the fitness that has eluded him for the past couple of seasons, he will add that X factor and a completely different dimension to the Roosters attack. And that’s hard to do when you rush across the globe to play a couple of Tri Nations games when you should be recovering. Although we have lost some experienced campaigners we are lucky that we have junior stocks that are promising and doing well in their own right, and the remainder of our first grade squad still has mix of experience, youth and ability.

One make or break factor could be the Captain. It’s most likely to be Craig Fitzgibbon, he commands respect and loyalty from the players and it may be a psychological disadvantage if he isn’t picked. Personally Id like to see him not have the added responsibility and concentrate on regaining his running game. To select Anasta or Harrison, who are both qualified for the role, may fracture some team loyalties and harmony. If it was up to me, it would be Harrison and Id employ a good shrink to sort out any problems. Something I think may have been required last season also.

I also believe Fitzy will be bulked up and used as a front rower in 2006.
We need commitment in defence and a decent passing and kicking game in attack, especially from our halves. In attack I expect Anasta to take the chief playmaker role, with Finch doing what he can manage, and that’s play a small supporting role. We achieve these things we win the comp. That’s how good I believe this team still is.

So there you have it. That’s Melon's wrap-up of how things are today. For a complete listing of player movements, visit the Roosters Forum in forums.therugbyleaguesite.com. And as always if you have any news or views you wish discussed in one of our pod casts, then send us an email... admin@therugbyleaguesite.com or post a new topic in the Roosters Fan Forums.

OK I can see the groundsman coming around, now might be a good time to ask if I can borrow a ladder...that’s it for this pod cast from me, until next time, this is Melon signing off...and remember...when in doubt...Go Easts.

D

Deleted member 10972

Just for all those who havn't seen the squad thread, the 2006 Squad is currently:

Adam Schubert (Second Row) 2006, 2007, 20
Adrian Morley (Front Row) 2006, 28
Aidan Kirk (Fullback) 2006, 19
Amos Roberts (Wing) 2006, 2007, 2008, 24
Anthony Cherrington (Second Row) 2006, 17
Anthony Minichiello (Fullback) 2006, 25
Anthony Tupou (Front Row) 2006, 2007, 22
Anthony Watts (Halfback) 2006, 19
Anton LaVin (Centre) 2006, 20
Ashley Harrison (Lock) 2006, 2007, 2008, 24
Baden Hall (Second Row) 2006, 17
Blake Ayshford (Lock) 2006, 17
Brad Baldry (Second Row) 2006, 2007, 18
Braith Anasta (Five-Eighth) 2006, 2007, 2008, 24
Brett Finch (Halfback) 2006, 2007, 24
Brett Lane (Fullback) 2006, 17
Charlie Herekotukutuku (Centre) 2006, 2007, 21
Charlie Tonga (Front Row) 2006, 2007, 28
Chris Flannery (Second Row) 2006, 2007, 2008, 25
Codie Medway (Centre) 2006, 2007, 18
Craig Fitzgibbon (Second Row) 2006, 28
Craig Wing (Hooker) 2006, 2007, 26
Daniel Dumas (Lock) 2006, 22
Daniel Ezekiel (Halfback) 2006, 17
Danny Williams (Front Row) 2006, 2007, 19
David Pangai (Centre) 2006, 2007, 19
David Shillington (Front Row) 2006, 22
Dion Briggs (Front Row) 2006, 19
Ed Leuluai (Second Row) TBA, ??
Frank Winterstein (Second Row) 2006, 19
Glenn Hall (Front Row) 2006, 24
Grant Millington (Lock) 2006, 19
Heath L'Estrange (Hooker) 2006, 2007, 20
Hemani Moala (Winger) 2006, 2007, 17
James Shillington (Second Row) 2006, 2007, 19
James Tamou (Second Row) 2006, 17
Jamie Soward (Five-Eighth) 2006, 21
Jarryd Hogan (Five-Eighth) 2006, 17
Jarvarn White 2006, 2007
Jason Allwood (Front Row) 2006, 19
Jeremy Gordon (Centre) 2006, 19
Jeremy Halls (Second Row) 2006, 17
Jimmy Tuigamala (Halfback) 2006, 2007, 16
Joel Monaghan (Winger) 2006, 2007, 23
John Clayton (Front Row) 2006, 2007, 17
John Doyle (Hooker), 2006, 27
Joseph Cahill (Lock) 2006, 19
Josh Lewis (Five-Eighth) 2006, 2007, 21
Junior Palau (Second Row) 2006, 18
Juston Horo (Centre) 2006, 19
Lafi Manua (Prop) TBA, ??
Lelea Paea (Centre) 2006, 23
Lewis Brown (Five-Eighth) 2006, 2007, 18
Lopini Paea (Second Row) 2006, 21
Louis Vaiotu (Winger) 2006, 17
Luke Gordon (Hooker) TBA, 20
Luke Letele (Hooker) 2006, 17
Mark Edmondson (Front Row) 2006, 2007, 26
Mark Talanoa (Centre) 2006, 2007, 16
Matthew Hall (Front Row) 2006, 2007, 17
Matthew Saunders (Five-Eighth) 2006, 17
Michael Burns (Second Row) 2006, 21
Michael Lett (Winger) 2006, 19
Mickey Paea (Second Row) 2006, 19
Mitchell Aubusson (Second Row) 2006, 18
Mitchell Pearce (Halfback) 2006, 2007, 16
Nigel Plum (Second Row) 2006, 22
Nim Ngata (Front Row) 2006, 2007, 18
Nopolean Vonowale (Winger) 2006, 2007, 19
Pierce Sapsford (Winger) 2006, 18
Rhys Pritchard (Winger) 2006, 18
Richie Brewster (Winger) 2006, 18
Rimini Reweti (Second Row) TBA, 21
Robert Williams (Front Row) 2006, 2007, 16
Rohan Ahern 2006, 2007
Rory Kostjasyn (Second Row) 2006, 18
Ryan Cross (Centre) 2006, 25
Sam McCartney (Halfback) 2006, 2007, 18
Sam Perrett (Winger) 2006, 21
Saxon Holland (Second Row) 2006, 18
Setaimata Sa (Centre) 2006, 2007, 18
Shane Shackleton (Second Row) 2006, 23
Shaun Foley (Fullback) 2006, 19
Shaun Kenny-Dowall (Centre) 2006, 17
Sia Soliola (Centre) 2006, 2007, 19
Stanley Waqa (Front Row) 2006, 17
Steve Meredith (Front Row) 2006, 2007, 20
Tom Symonds (Five-Eighth) 2006, 2007, 16
Troy Malcolm (Fullback) 2006, 20
Troy Savage (Centre) 2006, 19
Vince Mellars (Centre) TBA, 21
Zeb Tawha (Second Row) 2006, 2007, 17

...with more Newtown players yet to sign, due to the merger. Players who have left the club are:

Brett Firman (Halfback), 23 [Cowboys - left mid-season]
Jason Cayless (Prop), 25 [St Helens – ESL]
Michael Crocker (Backrow), 25 [Melbourne Storm]
Luke Ricketson (Lock), 32 [Retirement]
Ned Catic (Prop), 27 [Wakefield Trinity Wildcats - ESL]
Ben Hannant (Prop), 21 [Brisbane Broncos]
George Rose (Prop), 22 [Manly Sea Eagles]
Chris Walker (Centre), 25 [Melbourne Storm]
Richard Fa'aoso (Second Row) 21 [Castleford Tigers – ESL]
Grant Rovelli (Halfback), 22 [New Zealand Warriors]
James Aubusson (Five-Eighth), 19 [Melbourne Storm]
Pee Wee Moke (Centre), 19 [Cronulla Sharks]
Gavin Lester (Wing), 28 [Retirement]
Stuart Webb (Hooker), 25 [South Sydney Rabbitohs]
Trent Curruthers (???), ?? [Released]
Richard Russell (Backrow), ?? [Redcliffe Dolphins – QLD Cup]
Luke Fahy (???), 19 [Balmain Tigers]
Wayne Bond (???), 21 [Penrith Panthers]
McKonkie Tauasa (Winger), 20 [Central Comets – QLD Cup]
Robbie Simpson (Prop), ?? [Released]
Tony Pamatangi (Centre), ?? [Released]
Scott Porter (Five-Eighth), ?? [Released]
Jack Rampling (Front Row), 19 [South Sydney Rabbitohs]
Jack Reis (???), ?? [Redcliffe – Colts Competition (in Brisbane)]
Sam Maniet (???), ?? [Redcliffe – Colts Competition (in Brisbane)]
Reece Bailey (???), ?? [Released (moved home to Mackay)]

...and players who's contracts are under speculation at the moment are:

Casey Conway (Winger)?
Daniel Jarvis (Hooker)?
Dean Smith (Hooker)?
Kererua Savage (???)?
Tom Hillard (???)?
Chanel Arama (???)?
Scott McKenzie (Wing)
Braydon Cain (???)?
William Heta (Five-Eighth)

Welcome to all our new players. We wish you the best of luck at our club. And to all those who have moved on, we wish you well at your new clubs.

testeagles

Juniors
is it just me or does that seem like a excessive amount of players, as newtown also would have many players for p/l and jbc?

Latest posts