What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RTS/Strategy Games

Storm13

Juniors
Just purchased a new gaming PC and have gone straight to the classic of Age of Empires 2 HD. Does anyone else play this game or anything else like it to recommend?

Eelectrica

Referee
Haven't been play much RTS's lately, but one I did play which was really good was Homeworld: Deserts of Karack. Kind of short, was really hoping for an expansion pack, but should be able to pick it up cheap if interested. The Homeworld remasters are highly recommended as well.

Strategy games I've playing lately are X-Com 2 and Battletech, they're both turn based.

Heaps of Stellaris which is real time with pause. It's more of a merging of GSG/4X.
Can usually pick the base game up fairly cheaply.

I haven't checked out the Total War games, mostly due to lack of time, but I hear they're also highly recommended, I've wish listed them, but haven't picked them up yet due to trying to clear back log.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Its weird what’s happened with the RTS genre in the last decade. There really haven’t been any new franchises launched, everything is just a reboot of the classic ones. Use to love my RTS’s too. My favourites in no particular order:

Total Annihilation
Dawn of War
Company of Heroes
Myth I & II

Mr Spock!

Referee
Total War is a fantastic series.

Also loved xcom especially the early games had huge and different environments which went forever.

Company of heroes was great but my favourite was the old Close Combat series.

Men of war is a good ww2 series too.

axl rose

Bench
Age of Mythology was underrated. Love Company of Heroes single player (i get murdered online) and Red Alert 3 (the EA ones were not always as bad as everyone makes out)

___

Juniors
my bf downloaded that last week, I gave it a go but I could not change the camera from arrow keys to W A S D. Really bad design tbh.
BF as in boyfriend? Are you a gamer-girl or something? You're name doesn't really give that impression LOL (no offense).

Anyway I'm not really into RTS. I played a bit of Star Craft/Brood Wars when I was younger - which was good - but not really into them now. I'm really just into action/sandbox/car games. I play some strategy and puzzle games on the phone while going to work in the morning.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
my bf downloaded that last week, I gave it a go but I could not change the camera from arrow keys to W A S D. Really bad design tbh.

It’s mostly mouse driven from memory, hardly necessary to to change it to WASD, it’s strategy not a twitchy action game

Smack

Coach
It’s mostly mouse driven from memory, hardly necessary to to change it to WASD, it’s strategy not a twitchy action game

But you have to move the camera around as everything is spread out everywhere and your left hand is naturally on W A S D, but they make you use the arrow keys

Mr Spock!

Referee
I have to say that the scenarios in the early xcoms (even on PS1) were far more varied than the new versions and are some of the best strategy games ever.

Heck I remember manually putting dead and unconscious aliens in the backpack and the environments eg a luxury liner were huge and you had to clear out each room and deck. Heck even had the aliens invade inside the actual baseship.

Even the map was more complex.

Don't know why the new franchise went with smaller less varied environments.

Mr Spock!

Referee
Btw if you can get the ancient Close Combat titles do so.

Gameplay and strategy is great.

You spend half an hour meticulously setting up an ambush on a tiger company to then have half your green squads run away at the first shell.

And you have like one ATG to take them out especially in the Arnhem cd where the allies are mostly outnumbered and outgunned. And a draw is as good as a decisive victory.

axl rose

Bench
Btw if you can get the ancient Close Combat titles do so.
Wow now theres a thowback. Played the hell out of the demo till i finally got the full version one year. Must have played Close Combat and Cossacks for 100's of hours. Good times.

Last edited:

Mr Spock!

Referee
Wow now theres a thowback. Played the hell out of the demo till i finally got the full version one year. Must have played Close Combat and Cossacks for 100's of hours. Good times.
Cossacks was great too. Really enjoyed learning about the different formations and how to use them.

Close Combat Arnhem was darn hard. Plenty of times I screamed when the Germans took out the ATG early (a 57mm v tigers - you could hear the shells ping off the armour) and your infantry were basically deadmeat.

Lol remember defeating a whole German advance with one crappy russian tank in Red Army Close Combat. I like how you could fit out your squad and they gained experience and medals and upgrades over the campaign. And every replayed battle was different

See there's a game which would be awesome with modern graphics.

axl rose

Bench
Cossacks was great too. Really enjoyed learning about the different formations and how to use them.

Close Combat Arnhem was darn hard. Plenty of times I screamed when the Germans took out the ATG early (a 57mm v tigers - you could hear the shells ping off the armour) and your infantry were basically deadmeat.
Very hard, especially compared to C&C/Red Alert (great games though).

The formations system in Cossacks was actually quite innovative at the time. Back when 'tank rushing' plagued RTS games.

Rise of Nations was other great RTS game.

Last edited:

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Age of kings was a classic. Spent a lot of time in high school playing that.

Looking it up the game has changed a lot since the HD remake which is cool. Goths are still a beastly infantry based race i see and the Huns still very popular although they have been hurt a little by balances. Back in my day the Huns were by far the best all rounder and were killer in open maps

Also can anyone remember back before the first patch (so like 20 years ago) when tueton town centres were the ultimate cheesy trick. They shot arrows a longer distance than the other races tc so a tueton player who was a dickhead would gather wood until they had the cost of a town centre, delete the starting one and send the villagers into the opponents base and build a tc where his arrows would hit the opponents base but the opponents arrows couldn’t reach his

That’s why town centres were patched to require stone.

So tueton players were all seen as cheats and lobbies would be like no tuetons stay out cheat which was a shame because I always liked their unique unit

Last edited:

Eelectrica

Referee
I picked up Europa Universalis 4 on a recent sale plus a few of the recommended expansion packs. So much to learn... Finding it fun though even if I'm doing heaps of things wrong at the moment.

Latest posts