What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RU Where World Class Professional Wingers Play

rugbynotsoccer

Juniors
Sosene Anesi
"The Chiefs and Waikato winger recorded 4.53s over 40m from a standing start during last week's trials, making him the fastest player Tietjens has seen during his 10-year tenure." Standing start aswell.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/index.cfm?c_id=310&ObjectID=8500628

Rocoko 4.66 40m Physical: 1.89m, 98kg standing start

Caucaubina #1 winger on Form in the world, too bad we don't see him play more intl's. Play's out of his size.

Nonu 100kg , 40m 5 seconds

Tonderai Chavanga (stormers) sprint 100m in 10.53 secs Source: He was his country record holder..

Lomu: 10.9 in 100m 120 Kg, what a amazing player with such size, would like to know his 40m runs.

Howlett ( nz schools sprinting champion?) Physical: 1.85m, 89kg

#1Rathbone Fastest, strongest in wallabies #2 Tiqiri
180cm 97kg / 191cm 103kg
"He can bench 150 kg and he runs 40 metres in 4.7 seconds. Lote Tuqiri does it in 4.8 and I do it in 4.9. This bloke is quick. Quite simply, he is the strongest in the side pound for pound. He's a back with the grunt and determination of a forward." http://www.keo.co.za/archives/001665.html

bobo, fa'tau, most the 7's run 40m under 5 seconds.

Kinikinilau: if he switched to RL(could of went to broncos+storm), he would make the small wingers look 2nd rate. Why? League is lacking big men with speed, who are fast and aren't scared to put there body on the line.

List your results.. i mainly only follow SH also lack knowledge in the islander speed stars :lol:

Bomber

Bench
You have this fascination with wingers and their beep test times and how much they can bench press, rugbynotsoccer

There are 13 other players in a rugby team

(and yes, I know I'm trolling. I'll :arrow: now)

bayrep

Juniors
Wingers are only the razzle dazzle the end of the movement. If the center cant make the break or the link then you could have the best wing in the world but it would do you no good. Then of course you have the 2nd-5 who thinks he is the most valued player on the field and it continues...................... :).

Tighthead

"The most important player in the team is the tighthead prop. The second most important player is the reserve tighthead prop" - Alec Evans.

Ari Gold

Bench
just because wingers are fast doesnt make them good.......hell why dont you get Maurice Green to oull on a USA RU jersey....he'll get killed within a minute....

taipan

Referee
There was an Olympic runner by the name of Darren Clarke.he tried out for the Balmain Tigers as a winger,big,strong and fast,couldnt hack it in 1st grade.
A winger in union handles the ball a lot less than one in league,so in union its more a case of being big and fast,than resilience and speed
League wingers get hammered and run a lot more throughout the 80 minutes,eg a small winger like Howland for the Panthers can match it with most union S12 wingers for speed,but is a damn side more involved with heavy contact, so just being big and fast is not always a guarantee of being a good winger in league as it seems to be in union.
The pacific islanders including the maoris have always been big and fast,and union in the main has been their game,so its no surprise,although Lomu(whose hero was Mal Meninga),Umaga all played league in their youth.

taipan said:
There was an Olympic runner by the name of Darren Clarke.he tried out for the Balmain Tigers as a winger,big,strong and fast,couldnt hack it in 1st grade.
A winger in union handles the ball a lot less than one in league,so in union its more a case of being big and fast,than resilience and speed
League wingers get hammered and run a lot more throughout the 80 minutes,eg a small winger like Howland for the Panthers can match it with most union S12 wingers for speed,but is a damn side more involved with heavy contact, so just being big and fast is not always a guarantee of being a good winger in league as it seems to be in union.
The pacific islanders including the maoris have always been big and fast,and union in the main has been their game,so its no surprise,although Lomu(whose hero was Mal Meninga),Umaga all played league in their youth.

Thank for that history lesson Taipan but Umaga and Lomu also played union in their youth .
I watch one of the Warriors game where Francis Meli ran the ball 4 times and made about six tackles .
It is up to a winger in league and union if they want to get involve in the game or face beign sub off .

taipan

Referee
Polynesian Warrior said:
taipan said:

Thank for that history lesson Taipan but Umaga and Lomu also played union in their youth .
I watch one of the Warriors game where Francis Meli ran the ball 4 times and made about six tackles .
It is up to a winger in league and union if they want to get involve in the game or face beign sub off .

They all play union in the juniors in NZ,thanks for telling me PW I would never have known.It also depends on how the coach structures the team in attack which also has an influence on the wingers involvement.and I have seen Meli involved in many attacking raids and defence(at times involving penalties) in some games.
Getting back to the subject big and fast is no guarantee of being a first class winger IMO,it of course helps .

Latest posts