What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby for Dummies (Trying to understand this sport!)

T. Rubble

Juniors
depends what NRL club you support

He (my character) is not from a town that is directly affiliated with a team. For State of Origin, it's Queensland. But for everything else...?

On this topic my point of reference is whatever you guys tell me it is.

So who do I support? And why? (Caveat: you can't just say "because they're the best." Has to be a real reason.)

Willow

Assistant Moderator
But holy (insert expletive here). Positively cringeworthy: blood everywhere, audible body smacks, knees and elbows into faces...! Ugh!
Well that's a big reason why we like it. For those of who are way past our playing days, just one of those hits would probably put us in hospital for a month. That's just makes me appreciate the game more.

As an aside to illustrate this, Rex Mossop was once asked if he missed playing the game. He replied to interviewer with, "I even miss the injuries..."

Rex was an old veteran of the game, he passed away this week, aged 83. He has been called a lot of names over the years, he had some old world attitudes and he played for one the most hated club sides in the competition. But he played the game when there was no interchange and it was unlimited tackles. There was no doubting his passion and toughness. The modern players are fitter and can handle the knocks better, but there is a good argument to say that the old game was actually tougher than it is today.

T. Rubble said:
Um... does that mean who will I r---... er, cheer for?
It's an old cliche, but the team you ultimately support will choose you.

T. Rubble

Juniors
Well that's a big reason why we like it. For those of who are way past our playing days, just one of those hits would probably put us in hospital for a month. That's just makes me appreciate the game more.
Out of curiosity, how old are you? (BTW, I won't be upset if you ignore this question. Just had to ask, since you sort of put it out there.;-))

It's an old cliche, but the team you ultimately support will choose you.
Tres zen. I'm crushing on you right now, Willow. Feeling the vibe, dude! :cool:

T. Rubble

Juniors
Eels, because I do

Okay, that's the... Parra-metric Eels, Twiz? Shoot! I know there's a "m" in there, but Parra-metric sounds wrong. Maybe it's the Parra Electric Eels? Because Electric Eels makes sense. (They have one of those at our local aquarium.) Where's Parra, anyway? You cheer for the blue guys, right? Is Parra near Sydney?