What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby League Live 4 confirmation

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
I need intricate details about the state of the gameplay before I even think about opening my wallet. Are my AI teammates going to do something this time or is it nothing but red arrows like RLL3

Parra Pride

Coach
I'm going to buy it because I'm a f**king idiot. I don't anticipate having anything but bad things to say about it though.

Paullyboy

Coach
Any more come of this? It really shows how disenchanted people have been with these games to see how significantly the hype dies down with each new release. One or two versions ago this would be on about page 60 by now.

Parra Pride

Coach
Any more come of this? It really shows how disenchanted people have been with these games to see how significantly the hype dies down with each new release. One or two versions ago this would be on about page 60 by now.

Doesn't help that even the last one looked and played like an early 360 or PS3 game, meanwhile you have NBA and FIFA looking and playing so much better and that divide only continues to grow. Most defenders of the game will jump out with the whole "FIFA and NBA have much bigger budgets" and what not, but that doesn't change the fact that they're the same price as the try to sell a League game for, and are of a much higher quality.

Paullyboy

Coach
I don't have an issue with the graphics, I think they're on par with Madden for the most part and that's the only other game I play. The crowd animations are a long way behind Madden, but I really don't care that much about that, it's one of those cool to see things that you forget about almost instantly once you're used to it.

I completely agree there are major gameplay flaws though.

Front-Rower

First Grade
One of the major problems with this series isn't the game itself (well they aren't top shelf by any means) but that bloke who is CEO of the company is a bit of snowflake when it comes to feedback. If he toned the attitude down a bit to people who have paid good money for sub-standard releases, then the series may get a bit more traction.

One of the major problems with this series isn't the game itself (well they aren't top shelf by any means) but that bloke who is CEO of the company is a bit of snowflake when it comes to feedback. If he toned the attitude down a bit to people who have paid good money for sub-standard releases, then the series may get a bit more traction.
lol@ross

Parra Pride

Coach
Good ol' Ross the consummate professional, banned me off their forums with an extremely valid reason of "f**k Off".

nnd3WXS.png

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Good ol' Ross the consummate professional, banned me off their forums with an extremely valid reason of "f**k Off".

nnd3WXS.png

Yep, never buying another game off them again. Big Ant are an insular, lazy and openly arrogant studio who have no desire to improve their games and when their consumers give them valid criticism they do shit like this.

f**k them.

RoosTah

Juniors
Doesn't help that even the last one looked and played like an early 360 or PS3 game, meanwhile you have NBA and FIFA looking and playing so much better and that divide only continues to grow. Most defenders of the game will jump out with the whole "FIFA and NBA have much bigger budgets" and what not, but that doesn't change the fact that they're the same price as the try to sell a League game for, and are of a much higher quality.
Mate, no offense but this is just a simple issue of economies of scale...

Madden has a market of around half a billion people that are nuts about the sport and FIFA has over a billion. Rugby League has half of Australia and a pocket in the north of England and NZ for a total potential market of around 20 million max.

You can talk about the game costing the same as madden, but then a movie ticket to a small local film will still cost the same as a big budget Marvel movie as well, so it's hardly unique.

The simple fact is that the economic of making a current gen Rugby League title barely stack up as it is, so all you're going to achieve by demanding a lower price is just bring the quality down further or completely eliminate any business case for making a rugby league game at all. In fact, the irony of your argument is that if you apply the economic theory the price should be higher precisely because it's a small market and therefore doesn't have the scale to bring down costs.

It might sound like a tired excuse to some people, but that's because it's a simple and fairly brutal economic fact. Our sport isn't even close to 1% of the size of soccer internationally and isn't much more than 1% of the size of the NFL market, so why would you ever expect a rugby league video game to be in the same league as games representing those behomeths?

The way I look at it is like buying local. Sure I pay a premium for a lot of stuff I could get cheaper at a major Supermarket, but I want to support my neighborhood and its businesses. A local sports game is very much in that category

Last edited: