What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby League Magazines

stumpy00

Juniors
Hi all,
Just wanted to get some opinions on which is the best magazine for league ie. rugby league week, big league

miccle

Bench
Depends what you want.

I buy both, but prefer Big League. More informative, more stats and some really decent feature stories.

RLW is more story-based and can be interesting at times, but IMO also involves a fair bit of crap.

I'm pretty close to just not bothering with RLW to tell you the truth, I find Big League serves me well enough not to justify shelling out $10-odd per week for both.

Paullyboy

Coach
I prefer Big League, having said that I generally dont buy either as all the information I need is on this forum or the NRL website.

innsaneink

Referee
I dont buy any more either....can get most info online and if a story involves a WTs player its usually repeated on our forum for us tightwads

Sanchez

Coach
miccle said:
Depends what you want.

I buy both, but prefer Big League. More informative, more stats and some really decent feature stories.

RLW is more story-based and can be interesting at times, but IMO also involves a fair bit of crap.

I'm pretty close to just not bothering with RLW to tell you the truth, I find Big League serves me well enough not to justify shelling out $10-odd per week for both.

i second this

jamesgould

Juniors
miccle said:
Depends what you want.

I agree with all this, even down to the being close to not bothering with RLW. RLW's stories all seem to be the same, week after week - "Canberra have revealed the inner belief that they hope will see them propelled into the finals and further this season." and stuff like that.

Big League has great profiles where you really learn something about the player and often their playing style, plus other interesting articles like one about kicking earlier this year, their ranking of the sides positional strength articles have been good, and another one earlier this year about sides if players were forced to play at their junior club.

RLW has really gone downhill from when I started getting it back in the early 90s ...

roosterbooster1 said:
Rugby League Review's the best

Correct.
The weeklies have their merit but are overpriced and won't give you much you can't find on here or other sites or by watching the footy shows on Fox and Nine. RLR is $3.50/month and is full of info you won't find in the weekles or anywhere else for that matter. Plus RLW are lying pricks. I did them a favour and in return they said they'd send my the mag every week but they never have.

GAMEFIRST

Juniors
Big League has been my bible for over 25 years!

And the magazine has always improved & has great all grades team line-ups lists & good stats covering all facets.

For $5, it now also has the better stories & articles.

On the other hand, League Week was pretty good 10-15 years ago, but has gone downhill and as its article's were once it's strength, they now are poor as well.

Big League has more weekend relevance as well that you can refer too & keep for future reference- like a collectors item.

Sir Biffo

Bench
I get both, but RLW is leagues equivalent of a New Weekly or Womans Day, whereas Big League is what it is supposed to be - a magazine about league, rather than what Sonny Bill Williams eats for dinner.

Hutty1986

Immortal
GAMEFIRST said:

And the magazine has always improved & has great all grades team line-ups lists & good stats covering all facets.

On the other hand, League Week was pretty good 10-15 years ago, but has gone downhill and as its article's were once it's strength, they now are poor as well.

Big League has more weekend relevance as well that you can refer too & keep for future reference- like a collectors item.

;-) Big League a sponsor of yours mate?

Sir Biffo

Bench
GAMEFIRST said:

Surely a gee up!

Leagueguy

Juniors
I liked it when Rugby League Week changed format a few yeras ago. I thought it became a bit more irreverant at the time too.

miccle

Bench
I totally forgot to mention Rugby League Review! Mostly because I think of it as a newspaper, not a "magazine" as such.

RLR is an AWESOME read. Rate it just as highly as Big League, if not more so.

The only problems are:
1. It's monthly!
2. It's not stocked in enough newsagencies.

I've just moved house and into a new job, so the old newsagent where I used to get it from is too far out of the way. I should really subscribe..

Gibbo

Juniors
Yeah I've had similar issues, i've seen ads etc for Rugby League Review on this website but can never find it anywhere-pity, as it seems to include some more international stuff. Anyone know of a newsagent on the Gold Coast that stocks it?

GAMEFIRST

Juniors
Sir Biffo said:
Surely a gee up!

I have kept copies of Big League since 1981.
The old ones have all the team lists in all grades-
Brett Kenny is listed as a winger for Under 23's
Peter Sterling is fullback........

The memories.....................

Go PARRA

Nikki

Coach
I buy both, but only for the pictures.. ;-) :lol: :lol: :lol:

But serioulsy it really depends on what info you want. I would consider Big League the more "serious" publication of the two.

Latest posts