What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby League manager game, when will we be able to buy one??

ManlySeaEagle

Juniors
Hi roomies, one thing that Id love to see is a RL management game along the lines of the Championship Manager series soccer games.

I recently purchased a new game from the UK on Ebay called
"Pro Rugby Manager". It is pretty good with good game play graphics, hire and fire, improve stadium etc.

http://www.prorugbymanager.com/

It would be great if we had an NRL version. I have emailed the NRL about this but got no reply. Anyone else interested in this sort of game?

simostorm

Bench
Those screenshots look excellent.
It has potential no doubt.
Who is producing and distributing it?
How can he use Nrl logos and player names when sidhe has the exclusive rights to them?

Mario

Juniors
tHe_MaC said:
He isn't selling the game....if he was, big bad Mario would have to take action.

Well, theoretically Home Entertainment Suppliers could take action now if they wanted to (its they who have the NRL license, not us), even though the game isn't being sold.

If the game probably was being sold, it would probably attract the attention of the NRL also (who are much bigger and badder than I :) ).

Iafeta

Referee
Mario said:
tHe_MaC said:
He isn't selling the game....if he was, big bad Mario would have to take action.

Well, theoretically Home Entertainment Suppliers could take action now if they wanted to (its they who have the NRL license, not us), even though the game isn't being sold.

If the game probably was being sold, it would probably attract the attention of the NRL also (who are much bigger and badder than I :) ).

A question then, since that is a non commercial product the license wouldn't apply?

For instance, anyone could do an unofficial rugby league site and put pictures of NRL players (their own, or after gaining approval from copyright owners of pictures) as a non profit website wouldn't they?

I think this is the case in the States, not sure if any here are aware of Extreme Warfare Wrestling, it was free and therefore able to use names and stats based on real wrestlers, but when it became a commercial product had to put in fake names as they were licensed by the wrestling organisations.

Mario

Juniors
Iafeta said:
A question then, since that is a non commercial product the license wouldn't apply?

Just because somebody was not making money from exploiting somebody else's intellectual property does not make that exploitation legal.

For instance, anyone could do an unofficial rugby league site and put pictures of NRL players (their own, or after gaining approval from copyright owners of pictures) as a non profit website wouldn't they?

Well, yes, but the key in your statement is that permission would be granted by the owner of the intellectual property in question. If permission is not granted, then the intellectual property holder has the legal right to ask somebody using their material to remove it from the web.

Generally, where there is no money being made in such cases, there usually isn't a problem as no one is "losing out". Realise though that in such cases no action is being taken at the discretion of the intellectual property owners or the relevant license holders.

In the case of videogames including NRL teams, logos or imagery, Home Entertainment Suppliers has the legal right (being the official license holder) to ask NRL material to be removed and to stop such games being distributed whether they are commercial or not.

Given that HES has invested a significant amount of money in securing the exclusive rights to develop videogames based on the NRL franchise, it would be reasonable for them to protect that investment if they felt it was being threatened commercially or if the quality or reputation of the franchise was being adversely affected.

KimmorleyKiller

Juniors
i wish a company would buy the game of him though, if ne1 has played AFL coach youd realise that Aussies done better than the whole of Acclaim even without a budget, that game has potential i tell ya!! looking at the screenshots it looks like hes improved it dramatically from the last versions as well

hope it works properly for XP this time :D

Latest posts