What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby League rebranded?

T-Boon

Coach
NFL has gone down that route also. Plenty of Aussies name that sport "NFL". It has helped the brand.

that is out of total ignorance - not a push from within. We have ads out here that pay during american sports on fox for "play gridiron". The US has three totally independent levels of gridiron.

T-Boon

Coach
Now is the perfect time to rebrand RL.
Women are now the strongest growing sector of the participation pie.
The traditional RL powers that be should sit down with the women powers that be and ask them what they want in terms of rules and the like (e.g., "can you come up with a better idea than a scrum because we are stumped", "has anyone ever seen a women or a kid kick a 40/20?", "how often do you walk around or work out in footy shorts as compared to tracksuit pants or sports pants?", "do you want a wrestling coach at your training sessions").
It would be a tremendous boost for the game across the board to be able to say we have looked at our game and made several key changes based on feedback from the women of the RL.

Last edited:

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
You still haven't answered how the game has managed to grow more in the last 30 years than all years previously - with the same name, lineout cup. :joy:

Going well. Good luck with the rah rah presents this year...

So you set the bar at RLs growth between 1895-1990 (a low bar). Then you praise the game for surpassing this low bar and claim this is proof that "Rugby League" is a good name.

You are aware that the name did not change between these 2 periods, right? So this does not prove anything about RLs branding.

Honetly, it sounds like you are arguing that SuperLeague was good for the game. THAT was the biggest shift between you 30 years of growth the century before....

T-Boon

Coach
What about Tackle Football?
Thats probably the name Rugby would have come up with back in the day if they had of had the foresight to know the game was going to grow out of the private schools of England and into an international sport.
Lets claim it.

It also fits well with our young brother touch football.

What about Tackle Football?
Thats probably the name Rugby would have come up with back in the day if they had of had the foresight to know the game was going to grow out of the private schools of England and into an international sport.
Lets claim it.

It also fits well with our young brother touch football.

Flip, that's good. Too sensible for RL people to go with.

Last edited:
So you set the bar at RLs growth between 1895-1990 (a low bar). Then you praise the game for surpassing this low bar and claim this is proof that "Rugby League" is a good name.

You are aware that the name did not change between these 2 periods, right? So this does not prove anything about RLs branding.

Honetly, it sounds like you are arguing that SuperLeague was good for the game. THAT was the biggest shift between you 30 years of growth the century before....
Love how it takes you two weeks to answer each time, you goose. :joy::joy: I've forgotten more about the game then you will ever know, twit.

kdalymc

Bench
So I’m in Canada, watching Canada tv. Big ad comes on-
“ come watch the worlds best rugby, Canada’s only professional rugby team, the Toronto Wolfpack, take on the championship. Rugby at its best. Rugby”
Wtfffff man.
Even their own country promoting their only team is confused by our stupid name...

kdalymc

Bench
In the Toronto documentary the game is RFL isn't it . . . don't the Poms call it RLF
Huh?
There’s an ad saying come watch rugby. That’s all my post is about.
Canada clearly have/know about the 2 rugby’s.
And they are advertising ours as the shit one

Perth Red

Post Whore
Huh?
There’s an ad saying come watch rugby. That’s all my post is about.
Canada clearly have/know about the 2 rugby’s.
And they are advertising ours as the shit one

North of England "Rugby" is Rugby league. Maybe it will be the same in Toronto!
Its only because we sat passively by whilst Rugby Union dropped the differentiator of Union and started calling itself just "Rugby" that the problem has become much greater.

Doesn't help when the only other significant place for the game in the world calls it football, which to every other part of the world is soccer. Then the organisation responsible for the game semi rebrands it NRL, despite the fact that is a competition not a sport. No wonder know one knows what our game is!

kdalymc

Bench
Yeah I was sitting there like wtf..
Cos the day before I was on the bus, telling some yanks and Canadians how shit Aussie rules is. And I play rugby league, they were like huh? So I said well, Rugby. And the go ahhhhh.
And now there is ads telling them it’s rugby. But the thing is union is MASSIVE here. Anyone who doesn’t make NFL plays union. So we are getting lumped in with the union pricks.

T-Boon

Coach
If you look at Ben Simmons wiki page (which I guess hundreds of thousands of Americans have) it says he played rugby league while he lived in Newcastle then it goes on to say "rugby league is a rugby competition played in Australia"

kdalymc

Bench
If you look at Ben Simmons wiki page (which I guess hundreds of thousands of Americans have) it says he played rugby league while he lived in Newcastle then it goes on to say "rugby league is a rugby competition played in Australia"
Can’t we just edit Wikipedia.
Although I guess they will just get more confused when we explain that league is the sport. Wtfff why didn’t we bring this up 50 years ago

Latest posts