What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rugby League Week

RK

First Grade
This is probably a long shot but I would like to know whether there is anyone that has a copy of Rugby League Week that they are willing to let me borrow. It is the copy that came out in the week of 17th April - Round 6.

I am looking for a particular article in there, if anyone can help me that would be sensational.

I have checked for back issues and I am unable to get it.

RK

First Grade
There is an article on John Russell, a north Sydney Bears player. To be precise it is on page 36.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Round 7 issue darl. Not Round 6.

Give me five.

RK

First Grade
Yeh I know we are doing disgraceful. We never come out fighting.

I just would like to see them win a couple of more games as our top 8 is long gone!!

Timmah

Staff member
Source: RLW April 19, 2006
HIT THE ROAD
by Adam Burnett

ON the field, Premier League is about the closest thing to the NRL you'll find. A no-holds barred, survival of the fittest competition designed to arm new-bloods with the necessary wares for doing battle with seasoned NRL gladiators.

And that's just the way these fellas like it.

The biggest difference lies away from the game. Where NRL stars sign autographs & sponsorship deals, PL players sign off on their carefully marked logbooks at the end of the financial year to ensure the taxman has duly rewarded their toil as plumbers, brickies or sparkies.

Take Norths fullback John Russell, who lives on one side of Sydney, plays on the other and works anywhere and everywhere in between...

"I get up at 4:30am, and I'm out the door by 4:50" he says. "I go to Parramatta, where I work as a plumber, and from there I go wherever the work takes me - down to Goulburn, up to The Entrance, wherever"

"Then after work I come straight to training at North Sydney and train from 5pm until about 7:30pm, I get home an hour later, have a shower and go to bed."

A return trip from NS to Campbelltown is just over 120km. From work in Parramatta, he may travel as far as Goulburn - a 354km round trip. On any given day, Russell could clock up 450km.

When the 21-yo finally gets to NS Oval, coach Josh White ensures Russell trains his guts out before finally heading home, well past dark.

"Yeah we work all day every day and then come and fit training in at night," he says. "Some days it takes it out of you, but you just get in there and get it done. You get used to it."

Not exactly glamorous, but the dream of making first grade is enough to sustain him.

"I'm loving my footy here at Norths," says John, relaxing for just a short moment under one of the Moreton Bay figs that casts its shadow over the historic ground. "Everyone gets along, we're all mates."

A prop in his younger days who has covered "pretty much every position," Russell has been joined at the club in 2006 by his older brother, 5/8th Daniel, aged 22.

"Daniel was at Parra last year and was thinking about going to the Magpies or playing in JBC, but I told him to have a run here because he'd get a good opportunity"

Previously with the Eels himself, the diminuitive fullback ended a five-year contract at Parramatta after a falling-out with now-first-grade-coach Jason Taylor.

"We didn't see eye to eye on a couple of things," he recalls, "Then Mark Horo (Eels official) gave me Josh White's number and suggested I give him a call".

Russell knows the quality of competition he faces for a #1 jersey in the NRL. The Melbourne squad, of which his Bears side is a feeder club, are a prime example.

"It'd be a bit hard because the Storm have about 4 fullbacks as it is," he grins. "I just want to have a great year and hopefully get picked up by someone. I'm happy to go anywhere."

And his logbook is testament to that.

Timmah

Staff member
"I get up at 4:30am, and I'm out the door by 4:50" he says. "I go to Parramatta, where I work as a plumber, and from there I go wherever the work takes me - down to Goulburn, up to The Entrance, wherever"

"Then after work I come straight to training at North Sydney and train from 5pm until about 7:30pm, I get home an hour later, have a shower and go to bed."

A return trip from NS to Campbelltown is just over 120km. From work in Parramatta, he may travel as far as Goulburn - a 354km round trip. On any given day, Russell could clock up 450km.

RK

First Grade
Really is that what it is???

Someone talked it up like it was a big article.

Timmah

Staff member
When the 21-yo finally gets to NS Oval, coach Josh White ensures Russell trains his guts out before finally heading home, well past dark.

"Yeah we work all day every day and then come and fit training in at night," he says. "Some days it takes it out of you, but you just get in there and get it done. You get used to it."

Not exactly glamorous, but the dream of making first grade is enough to sustain him.

"I'm loving my footy here at Norths," says John, relaxing for just a short moment under one of the Moreton Bay figs that casts its shadow over the historic ground. "Everyone gets along, we're all mates."

A prop in his younger days who has covered "pretty much every position," Russell has been joined at the club in 2006 by his older brother, 5/8th Daniel, aged 22.

"Daniel was at Parra last year and was thinking about going to the Magpies or playing in JBC, but I told him to have a run here because he'd get a good opportunity"

newtownbluebags

Post Whore
Timmah said:
Source: RLW April 19, 2006
HIT THE ROAD
by Adam Burnett

ON the field, Premier League is about the closest thing to the NRL you'll find. A no-holds barred, survival of the fittest competition designed to arm new-bloods with the necessary wares for doing battle with seasoned NRL gladiators.

And that's just the way these fellas like it.

The biggest difference lies away from the game. Where NRL stars sign autographs & sponsorship deals, PL players sign off on their carefully marked logbooks at the end of the financial year to ensure the taxman has duly rewarded their toil as plumbers, brickies or sparkies.

Take Norths fullback John Russell, who lives on one side of Sydney, plays on the other and works anywhere and everywhere in between...
This is the way it was for the vast majority of first grade players up until the late 80's...very few were full time players....now of course their all powder puffs in the :lol: NRL!

Timmah

Staff member
Still going ya silly duffer. :p I'll merge it in a minute, I'm just getting it out there for you to read

Timmah

Staff member
Previously with the Eels himself, the diminuitive fullback ended a five-year contract at Parramatta after a falling-out with now-first-grade-coach Jason Taylor.

"We didn't see eye to eye on a couple of things," he recalls, "Then Mark Horo (Eels official) gave me Josh White's number and suggested I give him a call".

Russell knows the quality of competition he faces for a #1 jersey in the NRL. The Melbourne squad, of which his Bears side is a feeder club, are a prime example.

"It'd be a bit hard because the Storm have about 4 fullbacks as it is," he grins. "I just want to have a great year and hopefully get picked up by someone. I'm happy to go anywhere."

And his logbook is testament to that.

Timmah

Staff member
Yeah just one of him returning the ball. Can't be arsed scanning it tonight.

Latest posts