What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rule clarification

This is Re: the Tuiaki no try just before half time in the Knights game.

My view is he knocked the ball forward, but before it hit the ground he kicked it, regathered and scored.

Is this a try or is it a knock on?

nadera78

Juniors
The_MaFeeLi_Tiger said:

My view is he knocked the ball forward, but before it hit the ground he kicked it, regathered and scored.

If a player drops the ball it's a knock on if it hits the floor or hits another player in front of him. As long as his foot made contact with the ball before it did either of those then it's not a knock on.

m0j0

Bench
The_MaFeeLi_Tiger said:

I was of the understanding (although I don't necessarily agree with it) that unless a player purposefully drops the ball to his feet to kick it, it's a knock on. So, if he drops the ball and manages to kick it (be it accidental or intentional) it's still a knock on.

Can't remember where I heard that, and it could be completely wrong.

Tap Twist Snap

Juniors
I actually think it is about intention. If he knocks it on and it accidently hits his foot then it's a knock on. If he tries to kick at it then it and does and it hasn't hit the ground then it isn't a knock on. Hampstead got it wrong but is always so arrogant about his decisions. Should be spending time in reserves but he won't.

Charlie124

First Grade
Matt Bowen did exactly the same thing last year (cant remember the game) where he dropped it in front of him, kicked it forward before it touched the ground and scored the try.

innsaneink

Referee
Some that claim to have done refs training reckon if its not an intentional kick then its a knock on.....sounds like half a kilo of tripe to me.

Liam Fulton also knocked the ball forward with his juggling act, even though he didntkick it, he didnt have control of it for some time...similar to tuiaki.

Matt Bowen try rd 2 V easts this year.

The Tank

Bench
Matthew Cross (I think) did the same thing last year for Penrith...but his try was awarded.

Stranger

Coach
m0j0 said:
I was of the understanding (although I don't necessarily agree with it) that unless a player purposefully drops the ball to his feet to kick it, it's a knock on. So, if he drops the ball and manages to kick it (be it accidental or intentional) it's still a knock on.

That was my understanding.

strewth_mate

Bench
I figured it was about whether the player had some element of control over the ball before he puts it on the toe.

But what about in a situation where a player has a grab at the ball, accidentally propels it forward a good 5 metres, chases it, and boots it before it touches the ground? I believe that's technically similar to Tuiaki's effort, in that there's no hope of regaining control, except in such a case there's more theatre and more clearly spelled intent. So despite both situations involving no control over the ball, I tend to think the hypothetical would result in play on. Dunno if Tuiaki meant to kick it, but there's the possibility that he threw out his foot as a reflex.

I probably wouldn't have complained if it was looked at and awarded.

badav

Bench
m0j0 said:

Not sure where you got that idea. Think back to Billy Slaters knee kick in origin. It was awarded.

I dont recall what exactly happened with Tuiaki, but if it hit his foot before the ground it should be play on.

Tap Twist Snap said:
I actually think it is about intention.

Its not. See above example.

Yosh

Coach
Charlie124 said:
Matt Bowen did exactly the same thing last year (cant remember the game) where he dropped it in front of him, kicked it forward before it touched the ground and scored the try.

I think if you make a full intentional kick at it that is obvious then its okay, but if it kinda just hits your foot on the way down and you have a knee-jerk reaction (pardon the pun) then its a knock on I think. Might be wrong...

innsaneink

Referee
Yosh said:
I think if you make a full intentional kick at it that is obvious then its okay, but if it kinda just hits your foot on the way down and you have a knee-jerk reaction (pardon the pun) then its a knock on I think. Might be wrong...

Refs would need to be able to read minds to determine this...

m0j0

Bench
According to Section 10 of the International Rules:
http://www.rlef.eu.com/rugby_laws_book2004.pdf

2. If, after knocking-on accidentally, the player
knocking-on regains or kicks the ball before it
touches the ground, a goal post, cross bar or an
opponent, then play shall be allowed to proceed.
Otherwise play shall stop and a scrum shall be
formed except after the fifth play-the-ball

So, basically, even if its accidentally dropped but kicked before reaching the ground, then it's play on.

m0j0

Bench
I didn't see the incident on account of the fact I had no power for most of the weekend. However, if it played out as everyone is describing it, sounds like it was a try by the strict definition of the rule.

dragonfire

Bench
Tap Twist Snap said:
I actually think it is about intention. If he knocks it on and it accidently hits his foot then it's a knock on. If he tries to kick at it then it and does and it hasn't hit the ground then it isn't a knock on. Hampstead got it wrong but is always so arrogant about his decisions. Should be spending time in reserves but he won't.

well at the very least it deserved to be given to the video ref to have a look. For mind it was a deadset try, sure he dropped it but he was good enough to get his foot to it to make it into a kick