What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rule Clarification

Eelsnutcase

Juniors
Hey guys i want to get your opinion on this " benefit of the doubt" rule which is a farce on our game.Now we were totally outplayed tonight hell cooper cronk would not have got us home but with 2 referees,2 touch judges and a video ref how can we continue to come up with benefit of the doubt decisions.To ground the ball with you torso or stomach come on what would happen if a grand final was decided on one of these calls.If the 5 so called trained officials cant make there mind up hey lets use our get out of jail button.These continued decisions are turning me off our sport.What are your thoughts?

Noise

Coach
im happy with the benefit of the doubt rule. The purpose of the rule is to reward the attacking team and I'd rather them look to give tries rather than take them away which would happen even more if the benefit of the doubt rule was taken away

strider

Post Whore
while there's dumb rules in the NRL, the dumb officials will enforce them

personally i'd like clarification on what's a forward pass .... cos I'll swear blind I saw a whole heap of em tonight in that 2nd half .... maybe not - maybe i'm getting old and blind

Tin Man 4.24

Juniors
I was more annoyed by the Titans 3rd try - seriously how much time are you allowed to try and ground the ball?

hybrideel

Bench
I was pretty pissed off about 4 of the tries. May be my bias but the Gordon try was off a dodgy extra 6 given, they gave Thompson about 4 hours to ground the ball, the first mincello try was off a pass about a metre forward and the 2nd, well what can you say. Add that to the luck of the bounce they got and we had no chance tonight.

parra pete

Referee
They got flogged..END OF STORY...Accept it..move on...nothing more to see here...
Ob la di ob la dah....

TheParraboy

Staff member
while there's dumb rules in the NRL, the dumb officials will enforce them

personally i'd like clarification on what's a forward pass .... cos I'll swear blind I saw a whole heap of em tonight in that 2nd half .... maybe not - maybe i'm getting old and blind

sorry mate, couldnt see a thing, what did you just say?

mrpwnd

Bench
They got flogged..END OF STORY...Accept it..move on...nothing more to see here...
Ob la di ob la dah....
And people just wanna know if it was because the team played badly or if it was because the refs were bad. It was combination of both, team didn't play like they should and a few dodgy calls didn't help the cause. Worst attitude from Parra this year and just about killed off our season.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I dont see the rules being the problem, moreso the people who enforce them

Fui!!!

Juniors
The Luke Burt 6 again was a killer. It got the titans level and swung the momentum. Luke Burt was nowhere near the ball, the titans player lost it.

The rest were fine IMO. But if the ref doesn't screw that up, momentum doesn't swing.

84 Baby

Referee
The one that p!ssed me off the most was their first try. First they give the worst 6 again call ever. Correct me if I'm wrong, if the attempting tackler touches the ball with his arm in making a tackle WHEN the player in possession attempts a pass then the ball is ruled played at by the tackler, however if the player in possession stone cold just drops the ball, unless the tackler strips the ball (which I don't think Burt did) then it's play on, no reset of tackle count. They were at 6s & 7s in attack leading up to that call, 2 tackles later they score, then our attitude really went down the toilet.

Then the try itself. I know they don't like calling obstruction anymore but deadset the Tit player runs across Rogers at his marker (Robson) and proceeds to stop all of 2 centimetres behind the defensive line, right next to Robson, Rogers runs through gap, Robbo turns and surprise surprise is obstructed by the decoy runner from making a straight attempt to tackle Rogers. Robbo was deceived by the decoy and made no attempt to tackle him when he ran, he followed Rogers the whole way and was entitled to at least a chance to tackle him. I'd be fine with it if Robbo was fooled and went to tackle the decoy, or if the decoy runner continued past the defensive line but seriously the dude stopped an inch from Robbo. Call the f*cking obstruction.

Not saying this try or the lead up to it cost us the game, that was the atrocious attitude that came after they scored that try, but if it was Robbo not being able to tackle Rogers one on one that led to the try then we'd be blowing up at Robbo for making a basic error, question is why don't the refs get the same treatment?

oldmancraigy

Coach
The Luke Burt 6 again was a killer. It got the titans level and swung the momentum. Luke Burt was nowhere near the ball, the titans player lost it.

The rest were fine IMO. But if the ref doesn't screw that up, momentum doesn't swing.

Agreed.

Hot on the back of the Moi Moi "swinging arm" that didn't swing....

In the second half we had the ball for 9 sets of six in total (compared to GCs 26). Ouch.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Then the try itself. I know they don't like calling obstruction anymore but deadset the Tit player runs across Rogers at his marker (Robson) and proceeds to stop all of 2 centimetres behind the defensive line, right next to Robson, Rogers runs through gap, Robbo turns and surprise surprise is obstructed by the decoy runner from making a straight attempt to tackle Rogers. Robbo was deceived by the decoy and made no attempt to tackle him when he ran, he followed Rogers the whole way and was entitled to at least a chance to tackle him. I'd be fine with it if Robbo was fooled and went to tackle the decoy, or if the decoy runner continued past the defensive line but seriously the dude stopped an inch from Robbo. Call the f*cking obstruction.

Not saying this try or the lead up to it cost us the game, that was the atrocious attitude that came after they scored that try, but if it was Robbo not being able to tackle Rogers one on one that led to the try then we'd be blowing up at Robbo for making a basic error, question is why don't the refs get the same treatment?

Can't believe they didn't go to the video ref on that one. DEFINITE obstruction - but there was actually a Titans player who ran into the defensive line and stopped too - and allowed Campbell and Rogers to run behind him (that's a stone cold obstruction there as well).

For the record, you should NOT have to factor in a 'decision' to tackle a decoy if he's in the way of the ball carrier. As soon as that happens it's an obstruction - ball players have to play behind the line.

We dropped our bundle after that anyway...

strider

Post Whore
the thing that sh*ts me with the first try was that Badger actually stopped and was going to go to the video - then pulled out of it and gave the try ... clearly he was unsure and thought he saw something suss - so why the f**k just give it?

i actually thought the ball from campbell to rogers was forward too

oldmancraigy

Coach
the thing that sh*ts me with the first try was that Badger actually stopped and was going to go to the video - then pulled out of it and gave the try ... clearly he was unsure and thought he saw something suss - so why the f**k just give it?

i actually thought the ball from campbell to rogers was forward too

He actually did NOT stop to go to the replay, he called time off and blew up at Hayne for about a minute, THEN called time back on and blew the try.

Poor refereeing in that scenario not to go to the video replay I suppose - but what can ya do!

Latest posts