What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumor Mill

Rich102

Staff member
I might be a bit bias, but I'd like to see CHT at the club. If we can't develop him, it really says a lot about us as an organisation.
You are the one in favour of retaining the coaching staff as is.
He hasn't really shown any improvement under them this year.
Let him go to a club where he can learn then, in a couple of years, we can buy him back for much more money.
Really, since the U20's competition finished and John Ackland's time with the club finished we have very little evidence of developing young players.

Benek

Juniors
At that price, I like the move on Ash Taylor. Definitely an upgrade on SOS. We know SJ is injury prone and our backups halves will definitely be needed next year. I'd love to see CHT and Ash Taylor battling it out for a starting spot with the other playing a very capable backup.

Doesn't solve our lack of depth at #9 though, except that it means Niko is likely a hooker or won't play at all.

Meth

Staff member
You are the one in favour of retaining the coaching staff as is.
He hasn't really shown any improvement under them this year.
Let him go to a club where he can learn then, in a couple of years, we can buy him back for much more money.
Really, since the U20's competition finished and John Ackland's time with the club finished we have very little evidence of developing young players.

ummm Brown has only had a year and CHT has been injured for most of the season. I thought he played well at the back end of the season.

Rich102

Staff member
I remember him playing in the trial at Whangarei.
At that stage he was competing against Keighran for the No 6 spot.
Keighran won the battle and got the starting spot.
CHT shows patches of brilliance and tries hard.
I hope he makes it.
But nobody on the current coaching staff has shown they can develop him further.
Time will tell.

For my money we will be in the same place at this time next year. 9-12 on the ladder.

Meth

Staff member
Again, my support for Brown is not as much confidence that he's the best guy for the job. It has to be held together with the bigger narrative of the last several years. In fact, I was making this same argument with Kearney. We can't keep on this cycle of appointing coaches and then sacking them prematurely (before their contract ends) and expect to eventually end up with a world class coach. It isn't working and we keep on doing it.

Rich102

Staff member
Again, my support for Brown is not as much confidence that he's the best guy for the job. It has to be held together with the bigger narrative of the last several years. In fact, I was making this same argument with Kearney. We can't keep on this cycle of appointing coaches and then sacking them prematurely (before their contract ends) and expect to eventually end up with a world class coach. It isn't working and we keep on doing it.
I totally agree.
Which is why I suggested changing the assistants.
If the club changes nothing where is the improvement going to come from.
I am sure the Dogs, Broncos and Cowboys are going to improve next year and if we fall any further down the ladder we are going to have to pay even more inflated prices to attract players. And if we pay overs for the likes of Evans we won't recover any time soon.
The club needs an astute and experienced Director of Football. As well as perhaps bringing in an Australian coach to work with the local U20's, to spot and recruit.

JJ

Immortal
Happy to change his assistants, providing he's on board with the change.
he wants his family and friends on the coaching team...

Whoever thought Evans was a useful signing should be first to go - maybe BMM too - it was nearly as big a porkie as the unveiling of Matt Elliott supercoach

Meth

Staff member
he wants his family and friends on the coaching team...

Obviously, there should be safeguards against nepotism or 'jobs for the boys'...but again, there's no point giving him the ability to pick the team, on and off the field

SmashEmBro

Juniors
MG was on the radio saying we’re going after Metcalf from Cronulla, but they’re digging their heals in and won’t let him go. Says we’d be likely to let Chanel go nek year if we picked him up.