What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumor Mill

Sanchez

Coach
If we are paying a 'sizable chunk' would it not be better just to keep him as depth?

Lets say hes on 600k and we pay 400k (id say thats sizeable) can we get someone on 200k thats any better?

If we are paying a 'sizable chunk' would it not be better just to keep him as depth?

Lets say hes on 600k and we pay 400k (id say thats sizeable) can we get someone on 200k thats any better?
I see your POV but he's just playing up here. His heart was always pea sized for someone his size and athleticism. He should be up there playing like a 550k to 600k player. It's best to cut him and then hopefully Nikorima

Reactions: JJ

SmashEmBro

Juniors
He’s on $520k allegedly. I don’t know how much freight we’ll be paying, but assuming it’s similar to others like Lodge, DWZ etc it will be upwards of 40% of his salary. That will be around 200k, so if we’re getting around $250-300k for the next two years, that means instead of signing a $500k player we could get an $800k player instead - the difference between that would be huge - think Kodi/Fogerty/Flanagan to Hughes/Wighton/C Walker

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
I see your POV but he's just playing up here. His heart was always pea sized for someone his size and athleticism. He should be up there playing like a 550k to 600k player. It's best to cut him and then hopefully Nikorima

Agree 100% on Fus.
Seems bizarre he'd return home for being homesick, then go pretty much as far as possible away to continue to play. Something doesn't add up.

Kodi will probably be here next season, then head to the Dolphins. He's made no secret of wanting to stay in QLD. I think I even remembering reading his name in an article about the Dolphins too. Shame really, he might not be the best player around, but we could certainly do a lot worse

jaseg

Juniors
Luke Metcalf seems like it's going to happen (and they want him early for '22, but that doesn't seem too likely right now).

I wouldn't mind taking a look at Steven Marsters for a potential centre depth/development signing.

Rich102

Staff member
Next week could be pivotal to the future shape of the New Zealand Warriors' roster, with the club set to commence negotiations with three key targets.

From November 1 all NRL clubs can submit offers for off contract players at rival teams.

The Herald understands that Roosters' centre Joseph Manu, Eels' forward Marata Niukore and Sharks' half Luke Metcalf are among the highest priorities on the Warriors' list.

The trio are all contracted until the end of next season, though past precedents have shown that early releases are possible.

Manu would be the biggest coup – rated as one of the best backs in the NRL – but also the hardest to get.

The 25-year-old is a world class centre, which the Warriors desperately need, though the five-test Kiwi is also seen as an option at fullback or in the halves, which ties in with his personal development ambitions.

Manu won't be short of potential suitors, though the Roosters remain favourites for his signature. The Tokoroa product has been with the Bondi club since 2014, with 40 tries in 114 NRL games and two grand final rings (2018 and 2019).

But if he decides on a change, the Warriors should be near the front of the queue.

There is the lure of coming home and financially their offer is likely to trump most others, but they will need to convince Manu they can provide a winning environment.

The Warriors are more confident about Metcalf. Though the Sharks want to keep the 22-year-old, he is believed to be leaning towards a move to the Warriors, given the greater NRL opportunities.

There is a log jam in his position at Cronulla, whereas Metcalf is seen as the explosive, running five-eighth that will eventually take over from Shaun Johnson.

His speed is a key weapon under the new rules and he also offers positional versatility. It's expected he will sign a deal for 2023 and 2024, with an early release a possibility.

Niukore was the one that got away. An Aorere College product, Niukore played for the Junior Warriors in 2015, signing a two-year contract later that season. He was on the fringes of the first-grade squad, before the Eels swooped in 2017.

The 25-year-old has since evolved into a dynamic edge forward, capable of filling in at centre. He's athletic, big and fast, and an aggressive, strong defender. Parramatta want to retain him, but have a number of other players off contract, which will boost the Warriors' chances.

Aside from that key trio, the Warriors' immediate recruitment focus is an experienced outside back. It's an area where they are light, given the departures of David Fusitu'a and Peta Hiku.
other back rower for 2022, which would allow Euan Aitken, increasingly seen as a second-row option, to return to the centres.

The club did pursue Paul Momirovski with a strong offer, but the former Penrith player chose to return to the Roosters.

The Warriors currently have four roster spots available for next season.

One of those could be taken by prop Jackson Frei, who has been given a train and trial contract until March. Fellow youngster Tom Ale is expected to be out until late next year, as he recovers from an ACL injury, but he will be retained.

The Warriors still seem vulnerable at hooker – if injuries strike – but are not actively pursuing another dummy half option, with youngster Taniela Otukolo and utilities Jazz Tevaga and Kodi Nikorima seen as cover for Wayde Egan.

Kiwi Brandon Smith would be a dream signing for many fans, but the Roosters, Gold Coast or Redcliffe Dolphins are favoured to land the 25-year-old, if he decides to leave the Melbourne Storm at the end of next season.

jaseg

Juniors
We had shown no interest in Smith before the Manu news came out. The Smith rumour started in the same piece, as a flow on of 'well now who are the Warriors going to spend that ~$1m on'... I'm thinking it's just a journo going 1+1=2.

Either that, or it was POS who wasn't as interested in Smith at his likely price tag for whatever reason/s.

Anyway, I can't see it happening. Smith won't come to us - I think the Titans are most likely, if he leaves the Storm at all.

Very disappointed in the POS departure, particularly to Redcliffe.

The wider concern I have is the future of the team... what the f**k is going to happen RE our juniors. 2 lost years (at least) due to covid, sharing next year's colts and reggies with a team about to join the NRL, had a bunch of our best youth players leave (Fakatoumafi and Amituanai to Panthers, Glamuzina to Knights this year, Moala and a few others went last year). Lost Gould thanks to covid, who was supposed to be helping our development pathways. Now lost our top notch recruitment manager to the Dolphins, and it wouldn't be a stretch to see us start losing decent players to the Dolphins either - Walsh when he declines his PO for '24 seems likely... as do Lodge & Curran, at least. What happens to the potential Metcalf signing? Can we retain what few highly rated young guys we have, like that young half (forget his name right now)? We can't even promise him high grade junior football as part of his pathways...