What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumour Signings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bench
Franko said:
Yeah and how old is Lyon 26 or 27?

Time will tell and in my oppinion he will be the best centre. And if Manly happen to get him and Ben Creagh like suggested they will be a huge threat.
How will Manly fit another 2 $400 to $500k players under their cap with Orford already on similar dollars.The rest would have to be on peanuts.

wittyfan

Referee
851 said:
How will Manly fit another 2 $400 to $500k players under their cap with Orford already on similar dollars.The rest would have to be on peanuts.

Very creative accounting?

Ian Schubert has got some work ahead of him!

Franko

Juniors
851 said:

Kennedy will free up a heap and i would imagine Beaver would of probably took some sort of pay cut with this latest re-signing.
They haven't got that many highly played players i don't suppose. Not like a St George with Gasnier, Cooper, Head, Hornby, Ryles and co.

Vicious

Bench
Franko said:
Firstly key board hero i'm entitled to my opinion. I happen to be a Souths supporter so i am looking from the outside. I probably chose my words wrong. I think Mark Gasnier is a great player and probably the best centre in Australia at present. I just happen to think Lyon is better and will proove it next year. I think i have followed football long enough to know the difference between NRL and S/L. If you like we can make note on this conversation and revisit next year??!!
When Jamie Lyon left the NRL he was by far the best centre in the world let alone in Australia. But you could be right, obvoulsy a few coaches and CEO's see it my way though as $400 or $500,000 a year will be spent on him.

I agree with Franko 100%.
As for Manly being able to fit both Lyon and Ben Creagh into their salary cap, well in my estimates all but the top 17 players would have to be playing for match payments only ???

the_eel

Juniors
Yeh but they also paid overs for Brent Kite when he was originally signed, would have paid decent money for Bell and Orford also and whilst Menzies may have taken a pay cut he would still be on decent coin. Throw in Lyon and Creagh and i couldn't see much money left for the rest of the squad.

Franko

Juniors
the_eel said:
Yeh but they also paid overs for Brent Kite when he was originally signed, would have paid decent money for Bell and Orford also and whilst Menzies may have taken a pay cut he would still be on decent coin. Throw in Lyon and Creagh and i couldn't see much money left for the rest of the squad.

Yeah not saying it wouldn't be pushing it but other then them only probably Stewart would be on good dollars. The Hicks, Matai, Stephenson players would n't be on much. Then again Watmough and King would be on fair bikkies. Yeah point taken if Souths only just fit under the salary cap with there squad it amazes me how some of the other clubs manage it.:x

Bench
Franko said:
Kennedy will free up a heap and i would imagine Beaver would of probably took some sort of pay cut with this latest re-signing.
They haven't got that many highly played players i don't suppose. Not like a St George with Gasnier, Cooper, Head, Hornby, Ryles and co.
I don't think Kite,Bell,Watmough,Stewart,Monahagn and Beaver would come cheap.

Edwahu

Bench
I cant remember the details but didn't the two BK's have pre-loaded contracts. They were actually paid in the season before they signed because Manly had a heap of cap space, then paid less in later seasons. The NRL changed the rules to stop it afterwards.

So Kennedy wouldnt free up as much as people think and Kite wouldnt take as much up.

Cletus

First Grade
wittyfan said:
Stewart would I think.

I think he's on $250,000 till 2009.

Kennedy and Kite were 'frontloaded', but Orford is going to get more in the latter years of his contract.
I think Monas is on $275,000, King is on around $200,000 or so.

I don't know how we can afford Lyon, and I don't care. Just as long as he signs up tommorrow morning at 12.01am.:pray:

RainMan

Juniors
wittyfan said:
Very creative accounting?

Ian Schubert has got some work ahead of him!

Why? Heard of the salary cap increase for 2007? Manly have already released this year the following players. Heckenburg, Alberts, Cleal, $300k at least for those 3. Kennedy retiring will free up a bit more, combine the salary cap increase and there could be over $1 million for Manly to spend on who ever.

Vicious

Bench
Onan the barbarian said:
I think he's on $250,000 till 2009.

Kennedy and Kite were 'frontloaded', but Orford is going to get more in the latter years of his contract.
I think Monas is on $275,000, King is on around $200,000 or so.

I don't know how we can afford Lyon, and I don't care. Just as long as he signs up tommorrow morning at 12.01am.:pray:

Ive heard that Monaghan is on $240,000, but i`m almost positive that you`ll find that both Orford and Kite`s payments are backloaded ?
Stewart $250K
Robertson $100K
Matai $120K
Bell $280K
Hicks $120K
LYON $425K
Orford $400K
Menzies $200K (discounted to $100K)
CREAGH $280K
Watnough $220K
Kite $350K
Monaghan $240K
King $200K

In my estimates that would equate to a little over 3.1 million for the starting 13 alone. Could be done, but the depth would be ordinary.

Vicious

Bench
No one wants to go to the Roosters, the Eels or the Knights. Just to think that only a few seasons back, players were willing to take pay cuts to play with these clubs.

Pigskin

Juniors
Kingytek said:
It seems as though alot of people care where he goes.
Tell me one club that would deny his services if they had a gap to fill in the backline and the cash to match....None

Tate and Hodges, wouldn't swap them for any other 2 centres you can name

Most Overrated Player Soon to be in the NRL - Jamie Lyon !

Oink !

RiotAct

Juniors
Pigskin said:
Tate and Hodges, wouldn't swap them for any other 2 centres you can name

Most Overrated Player Soon to be in the NRL - Jamie Lyon !

Oink !

it'll take him a few years atleast to catch up with anastas consistant form of overratedness

Frenzy.

Immortal
Jake Webster -> Titans (no scoop there) - Sharks have BIG offer in though
Brett Delaney -> Sharks (yeah we've heard it before)
Darryl Millard -> Bulldogs
Craig Stapleton -> Sharks
Leon Bott -> Sharks

Status
Not open for further replies.