What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumour Signings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Hewson

Juniors
Balmain_Boy said:
With Asotasi presumably signed up (bugger), I hope to God we don't end up with the likes of Ashley Harrison.

I wouldn'tbe dissapointed with Ashley Harrison. He is still a very good player. He is very unhappy at the Roosters. He is being used as a ball player. He is not a ball player as Souths found out early on.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade
Paul Hewson said:
I wouldn'tbe dissapointed with Ashley Harrison. He is still a very good player. He is very unhappy at the Roosters. He is being used as a ball player. He is not a ball player as Souths found out early on.

No he isn't.. He is being used as a ball runner in the middle of the ruck and is getting smashed..

Big Mick

Referee
Steve Southern --> Manly.

No real source...just putting a few little things i've heard together and think it could be Southern.

Pantherjim.

Referee
Mick, given recent movements what do you think our chances are of signing Lyon now?

I might be asking one of those "How long is a piece of string" questions, but quite frankly... the suspense is f*ckingwell doing me in!

yy_cheng

Coach
Hunt on for Lyon
JASON AVEDISSIAN
01jul06

MANLY will this weekend put the finishing touches on a massive offer to lure the NRL's most sought after player, Jamie Lyon.

Lyon became a free agent at midnight last night when the anti-tampering deadline expired.

It is believed the Sea Eagles would need up to $1.8 million over four years to secure the former NSW and Australian back.

Lyon's manager George Mimis told The Manly Daily last night his client is close to making a decision on his future, with an announcement imminent within days.

The two other serious contenders for the St Helens back are Penrith and Newcastle.

``They (Manly) are in a strong position,'' Mimis said yesterday.

``I think the kid is looking to resurrect his representative career and the quality of the roster is really critical.''

Lyon's close relationship with Manly recruitment manager Noel Cleal will also work in the Sea Eagles favour.

The 24-year-old will play for St Helens tomorrow night with a decision likely 48 hours after that match against Wakefield Trinity.

``I'm anticipating that come (today) there will be a number of written offers from the various protagonists,'' Mimis said.

``At which point I'll discuss with Jamie the options. I'd expect a decision will be made within a week, maybe sooner.''

Interim Manly CEO Paul Cummings and the club's recruitment team will sit down over the weekend to work out their plan to get Lyon.

The former Parramatta centre has always been Manly's number one target since he walked out on the Eels.

Cummings also confirmed the Sea Eagles would be in the market from today for another high-profile forward after missing out on Dragons young gun Ben Creagh who re-signed with St George-Illawarra yesterday.

``We've got to sit down and think through our strategy,'' Cummings said.

``We'll be aggressive for a couple of players.

``Two (high-profile) players per year is what we usually try to sign.

``But until players make up their minds, there's not much we can do.

``It's like a chess game at the moment.

``There's stuff going on everywhere.''

In other player movement news big prop Mark Bryant has received a two-year offer from Manly which his manager Jim Banaghan has knocked back.

``It's unsatisfactory and we'll be going on the open market,'' Banaghan said.

Bryant has received interest from two other clubs.

Negotiations are also still on-going and positive with five-eighth Travis Burns. The club is hopeful of securing the young pivot, while utility back Paul Stephenson is also on the open market.

* The NRL and the Rugby League Professionals Association yesterday agreed on a rise in the salary cap to $4 million from 2007 following a four-year Collective Bargaining Agreement.

``It (the agreement) is one that ensures players share in the game's success,'' NRL boss David Gallop said.

http://www.manlydaily.com.au/common/story_page/0,7168,19640218%5E15901,00.html

Big Mick

Referee
f**ked if I know mate.

He's changed his colours more than....well Tyron Smith.

With Burns re-signing with Manly, BK re-signing probably, and their possible acquisition of another backrower...you'd have to say they are probably out of the race.

Then there is Newcastle...if they are going to top up Simpson's contract, Sign Adam MacDougall and Chris Walker, you'd have to say they are out of the race....

I dunno...I don't care any more. I just want the idiot to make up his mind so all parties involved can move on.

Roy

Juniors
well if the player roster is critical for lyon he couldnt do any better then buderus an johns could he. My bet is he will go to newcastle... I f**kING HOPE.

But like pantherjim i just want it to be anounced.

RiotAct

Juniors
he quit the club he apparently loved to get the f**k away from smith, no chance newcastle. Penrith for sure

Stranger

Coach
Steve Southern --> Manly.

No real source...just putting a few little things i've heard together and think it could be Southern.

Is he off contract?

Newi should be after that bastard!

JBW1983

Juniors
Steve Simpson -> Roosters

He and Stuart would know eachother pretty well, Roosters need to get some grunt into their backrow (well ok their whole pack!), and they have plenty of $ freed up after their losses this year.

Especially now that Asotasi has gone with Souths, he would probably be their main target.

Also: Mark Bryant -> Roosters
Roosters will be willing to shell out some decent $ to pick up a forward with some genuine size

Choppies

Coach
Simpson ain't bad. I think we went after him in 03 or 04 one of those years.
For me I would be going after Myles, Simpson and Villasanti if Villa comes cheap enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.