What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed Signings and Avenger's Secrets XXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Why thou?
Like hoppa or sandow. IF the other best offer is 350 i doubt a club has too offer 550 they would slap on maybe an extra 50k imo and that should be enough to get them.I doubt we paid hoppa 800k.More like 450k tops.

Let's just say the offer I heard was in between 430 and 500... Silly money!

Not just that, when Gus found out who else could of been available he was kicking himself, I'm told that the merry go round is still in full throttle and other players could become available soon

murraymob

Coach
430k a year for hiku...we offered hoppa 670 this year and apparently was on the overs.
Hiku is not worth that imo to our club.But i said same about whare overated.Egg on my face.

Penrith team i think is weak in forward depth and horrid halves.I much prefer our squad

not sure how Penrith are weak in the forwards every second signing was a back rower on top of cowboys u20 prop kikau.i think this is close to one f the best Penrith forward squads for a while. By round 10 a lot of young kids could make there way in they are that good

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Why thou?
Like hoppa or sandow. IF the other best offer is 350 i doubt a club has too offer 550 they would slap on maybe an extra 50k imo and that should be enough to get them.I doubt we paid hoppa 800k.More like 450k tops.

Exactly. It's like some people think coaches aren't aware of the salary cap. As if they choose a recruitment target, decide they'll just-get-it-done-FFS and think of the biggest number they can and write it on a contract.

Everyone in the game (except many fans) are aware that the secret to being competitive under the cap is to get as many players as you can for as little as possible. They don't make huge offers unless they need to.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
But will Hiku play fullback for them next year?? 400k is reasonable maybe even 430k if he was playing fullback. They also have Moylan and DWZ in their squad. And Hiku is a better winger then centre anyway.

Blues Riff

Bench
Respectfully, the way I heard it is that our offer to Hiku was similar to the Eels, although that was never discussed. A whirlwind tour of the respective organizations and the decision was made, a bit like comparing a watermelon to a blackcurrant. It's not always about the money.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Respectfully, the way I heard it is that our offer to Hiku was similar to the Eels, although that was never discussed. A whirlwind tour of the respective organizations and the decision was made, a bit like comparing a watermelon to a blackcurrant. It's not always about the money.

For two similar organisations it would only be about the money. Respectfully.

lingard

Coach
Once again?

It is the same post you responded to yesterday! Remember? You said this last time:

You seem incapable of addressing anything other than Cayless' form so I'll ask two questions:

1. Do you think it is possible that minor rule changes and refereeing differences year to year have an influence on the ruck? I seem to remember the dour, defence oriented games of 2002-2004 being different to 2005 and 2009, where teams like the Tigers and Eels shined.

2. If we accept 1 as true, then do you think smaller skilful forwards benefit more from open spaces and faster rucks or slow games with lots of wrestle and less room to move? Based on my observations I would suggest they prefer the opportunities presented by the former rather than the latter.

But of course, it is Pou so it must be wrong, and besides Cayless captained the 2008 World Cup FFS :crazy:

Yeah, buddy, once again - referring to his assertion that Cayless was super ceded by the 'big boppers' late in his career. So I pointed out that he captained New Zealand and played a huge role in our march to the grand final in the last few years of his career. Sorry that offends you. My point was that every era can accommodate Cayless types alongside Mannah types.
Now, Mr Escobar - as is his usual wont - has gone off on a little tangent and implied that I don't think the game has changed in 15 years. A typically clumsy attempt to steer the conversation off course a little (looks like you fell for it). Naturally the game has changed (not completely, not unrecognisably, but it has changed). That's my answer to your question one - which you would have already known if you'd read my post properly.
Regarding your second question, I'd say there is no black and white answer. I think the change in the game has advantaged both types of forwards in different ways. Next time read my posts properly before you start your whiny shit. And watch the spelling mistakes. ;-)

lingard

Coach
Yep. As the senior member he was captain, and the team was good enough to win. Was he their best player? Was he even close to it? I'd suggest that since that was his final appearance for the Kiwis he was at the end of his usefulness as an international player.

His offload certainly did help us in 2009, but it needed to - his go forward and quick play-the-ball had left him a few years before. And in 2010 his offload barely helped at all.

Yep. You're right. Which shows that a more mobile and skillful prop forward, even in the twilight of his career, could match it with all the 'big boppers' on the big stage.

Avenger

Immortal
I'll support anyone who joins the Eels but I don't want Jennings. If he signs him I reckon Arthur is making a similar mistake that he made re: Watmough.

Status
Not open for further replies.