What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings and Crap IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Fringe first graders don't rock up 240 odd first grade games. Granted he's spent a bit of time in reserves over the years, but he's been in the side most of the time whether it be wing, centre, or fullback. They've always found a spot for him.

If we take off our blue and gold glasses for just a second and are fair with ourselves: he's probably one of the worst players to have played 200+ FG games!

Putting the goggles back on: he's a great servant of the club, always makes himself available, and has been sniffing around the first grade team since he was 17. Had a real good go early in his career - but his aversion to defence meant center wasn't his spot.
Spent some time at the back, but we looked for a 'top quality' fullback instead
Spent some time on the wing - where he does a 'good enough' job to keep people happy(ish) - sensational finisher, but not great at helping the team in many other ways. Oh, and always been a solid, good (not great) goalkicker.

Having a good clubman who kicks goals and makes less than $100k a year and is liked by the fans? Heck, let's pencil him in for a spot in the team somewhere UNLESS we get a really talented kid coming through. He's always been a fringe first grader - never really the guy you think "right, we're good at wing because Burt's there" - always kind of "well I guess we've got Burt"

Burt "gets the job done" - but if Sandow is first choice kicker next year (and frankly, he's a better kicker than Burt, so he should be) - then all we've got is an aging clubman who doesn't do a whole lot from the wing spot in the defensive/ meterage departments!!!

MrT

Juniors
If we take off our blue and gold glasses for just a second and are fair with ourselves: he's probably one of the worst players to have played 200+ FG games!

Putting the goggles back on: he's a great servant of the club, always makes himself available, and has been sniffing around the first grade team since he was 17. Had a real good go early in his career - but his aversion to defence meant center wasn't his spot.
Spent some time on the wing - where he does a 'good enough' job to keep people happy(ish) - sensational finisher, but not great at helping the team in many other ways. Oh, and always been a solid, good (not great) goalkicker.

Having a good clubman who kicks goals and makes less than $100k a year and is liked by the fans? Heck, let's pencil him in for a spot in the team somewhere UNLESS we get a really talented kid coming through. He's always been a fringe first grader - never really the guy you think "right, we're good at wing because Burt's there" - always kind of "well I guess we've got Burt"

Burt "gets the job done" - but if Sandow is first choice kicker next year (and frankly, he's a better kicker than Burt, so he should be) - then all we've got is an aging clubman who doesn't do a whole lot from the wing spot in the defensive/ meterage departments!!!

If he actually had more body size, I think he would have made it in the halves. He's such a smart player and his vision is excellent

Eels Dude

Coach

I disagree. Burt is one of the smartest footballers going around. There's not that many players who have the football instinct that he does. He just has this ability to perform and execute plays even from the wing which no other player player would even think of let alone execute them and I could bring up many specific examples. That's why he's been an auto selection most of his career.

boxhead

First Grade
Agreed Eels Dude, Burt offers a lot more on the wing than just goalkicking and finishing.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I don't get the fuss about Johnny Mannah. Tim is a star no doubt, John is pretty average.

That's right.

If we're going to have some second string front-rowers in the squad we're better off with a younger bloke who's more likely to improve. Like Peni Terepo.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I think Sio might make it pretty hard for Burty next year, especially if he keeps racking up a couple of tries per game

1. Hayne
2. Sio
3. Tonga
4. Tonga
5. Loko

Compare that to this years backline, alot more points there when you add Robets and Sandow to the halves.

I'd say Burt may start the year but I reckon Sio will put a lot of pressure on him.

natheel

Coach
Agree twiz I think Burt will start and make was for sio as a type of mentor for him. Will be good with loko on the wing as a grothe type

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
hits up like Marcus Bai and better than that AFL player..........whats his name?..........Izzy Falou under the high ball

he's a tall rangy bloke, plays fullback as well as wing and he can kick too

I watched him alot in TYC and their game plan was to get the ball to Sio, much like it was to get the ball to Loko earlier this year

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
he would probably be playing now if he didn't have year on the sideline with his leg injury, sometimes an extended break like that can take a bit of physio to get the strength back up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts