What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed Signings and Even More Crap XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigfella

Coach
To be a good centre you definitely need to punch or create holes in the opposition defensive line.

That's why I reckon j Lo is much better than morgan.

But I agree about the deficiencies in his game and see no reason why he wouldn't serve us well in the back row or at wing.

We are much tighter on that side already for having tonga instead of him.

Craig Johnston

First Grade
I agree with Poupou on this one. What he's brought to the team this year are strong runs, solid metres, a stack of tackle breaks, but not much in the way of finishing skills, creativity for his outside man, and strong one on one defence and decision making out wide. He can do the former from the back row, while the latter skills he lacks are the necessity of a good centre.

a heap of myths and furphies imo. go have a look at his one on one defence stats and rethink that statement.

you boys try and target loko's defence to make it sound like morgan's is matt cooper like.....it isn't, it's equally deplorable.....and with no attacking impotus other than running a good line. something a plugger like kane linnett can do running off the right 6 and 7.

To be a good centre you definitely need to punch or create holes in the opposition defensive line.

Why don't we shift Mitch Allgood to the centres then?

Loko to halfback, Sandow to prop. I know it sounds dumb, but people always said that Gallen was undersized for a prop. I know his defence is awful, but that's because he uses his status as half-back as 'a crutch'. I say, 'take away the crutch' and see what happens.

PS: what happens is that people fall over.

Bigfella

Coach
He draws defenders in more than any other player we have and can fold the line around him and produce a quick play the ball. I reckon he's challenged the opposition line more than any of our players so far this year.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
a heap of myths and furphies imo. go have a look at his one on one defence stats and rethink that statement.

By "one on one defence stats" do you mean the number of one on one tackles he makes? Because that stat is not a sign of a good defender; it's an indicator of a player that doesn't make good decisions.

Sure it's nice to make those tackles, but generally a player that makes a lot of solo tackles also misses plenty, as is the case with Jacob Loko.

Here's how Loko and Morgan fared last time they both played (round 13 against the Chooks):

Morgan: 21 tackles, 1 one-on-one, 1 ineffective, 4 missed (vs Jennings)
Loko: 7 tackles, 2 one-on-one, 1 ineffective, 2 missed (vs Kenny-Dowall)

you boys try and target loko's defence to make it sound like morgan's is matt cooper like

No, I try to show how it is Tony Williams-like.

.....it isn't, it's equally deplorable.....

No, it's heaps better. Morgan offers very little in attack besides his speed, but he makes up for it with solid defence. Remember he is also babysitting Chris Sandow.

and with no attacking impotus other than running a good line. something a plugger like kane linnett can do running off the right 6 and 7.

Linnett is another solid edge defender who is fairly ordinary in attack. That's why he plays centre.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
He draws defenders in more than any other player we have and can fold the line around him and produce a quick play the ball. I reckon he's challenged the opposition line more than any of our players so far this year.

He is great at disrupting a defensive line. But out at centre it is kind of pointless to bend the line and get a quick play the ball, since the next play will have to come back to the middle third.

At edge forward he could throw defenders around, land on his guts and play the ball quickly, and we would have options on either side of the ruck. Our halves would actually get some time to create plays. Imagine that.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I'd be stoked if we nabbed Peats. Our recruitment for 2014 would look excellent on paper IMO - strengthened all our weak spots and added some depth.

Eelementary

Post Whore
That's a generous appraisal of our present squad.

I didn't know how to phrase it - our pack is soft and lazy (Hock will fix the former, along with Lussick and Terepo, and Mossop will help fix the latter); our hooker makes loads of tackles but offers little else (Peats is an upgrade in a big way); we have no class at 5/8 (Norman is a good player at 5/8, but is lost at fullback).

I didn't know how to phrase it - our pack is soft and lazy (Hock will fix the former, along with Lussick and Terepo, and Mossop will help fix the latter); our hooker makes loads of tackles but offers little else (Peats is an upgrade in a big way); we have no class at 5/8 (Norman is a good player at 5/8, but is lost at fullback).

All fair points. I'd put half back down as one of our clear weaknesses presently. But LK has shown some potential, and maybe Sandow will be in the right mood next year.

Eelementary

Post Whore
All fair points. I'd put half back down as one of our clear weaknesses presently. But LK has shown some potential, and maybe Sandow will be in the right mood next year.

I agree - halfback is a big problem. But at least we have options - Kelly seems to be showing some potential, and Sandow can really show if he wants to be a part of this club or not.

I don't necessarily think we will go far in 2014, but acquiring a quality hooker, some quality forwards, a quality back and a quality 5/8 certainly will help us climb the ladder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts