What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed Signings and General Drivel XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
No, I just think it's an interesting social phenomenon, this internet. It's funny how, under the veil of anonymity, some people reduce their level of social interaction to that of naughty schoolboys. And some even take on different personas/personalities - saying things they wouldn't say in a face to face context. It's funny because in days gone by, when we didn't have the internet, we still had means of communication such as letter-writing, telegrams and telephones where people were somewhat removed from the immediacy and intimacy of face to face contact - and yet I don't recall any such thing as a 'letter troll' or a telephone troll'. Telegram troll? (Sounds like a T-Rex song.
Do you think it is the advent of the internet, with its combination of anonymity and immediacy, that has provided the opportunity for such behaviour? Or do you think it's just a case of any excuse will do?

To be honest mate, I certainly could say to your face anything I've said here. That doesn't mean I would.

What I (and every other merkin) say here is in the context of a piss-taking group of anonymous footy fans. None of it should be taken personally, though that doesn't mean we don't mean what we say.

In real life interactions we follow the laws of civil discourse (or most of us do) and a big part of that is not always saying what we mean or how we feel, and generally being mindful of the feelings of others. Everyday human interaction leaves a lot of things unsaid, and some of these things probably should be said. But there are potential serious social consequences. An example is when I make a fool of you on here you can just chase me around the forum making smug comments and whingeing about how rude I am. But in real life you might react to your humiliation with more immediacy and throw a punch or whatever you tough merkins do when you disagree with someone. Then I would have a punched mouth and you would find yourself in financial trouble when I pretend I have chronic pain in my neck.

The internet has freed us of these concerns because people can simply avoid the things they don't want to discuss or hear. So the only people with hurt feelings on the internet are the ones who want their feelings hurt.

Letters, telegrams, telephone... these are (generally) private conversations between people that know each other. Why would you troll the people you know, when there's no merkin around to share the laugh?

Noise

Coach
I'm pretty sure 'telephone trolls' were referred to as prank callers and have been around for years

Who the f**k? Wasn't he a WWII general or something? You silly old duck get it together.

Oh wait, maybe that was his brother Douglas, but any hows, same difference, just snap out of it you old mumbling fart and get with the 21st century already. It's 2014 people, learn to deal with it!

Husband of Elizabeth Macarthur, who Elizabeth Farm (in Parramatta Park) is named after. He was an early sheep grazing bloke....brought merinos out etc.

lingard

Coach
To be honest mate, I certainly could say to your face anything I've said here. That doesn't mean I would.

What I (and every other merkin) say here is in the context of a piss-taking group of anonymous footy fans. None of it should be taken personally, though that doesn't mean we don't mean what we say.

In real life interactions we follow the laws of civil discourse (or most of us do) and a big part of that is not always saying what we mean or how we feel, and generally being mindful of the feelings of others. Everyday human interaction leaves a lot of things unsaid, and some of these things probably should be said. But there are potential serious social consequences. An example is when I make a fool of you on here you can just chase me around the forum making smug comments and whingeing about how rude I am. But in real life you might react to your humiliation with more immediacy and throw a punch or whatever you tough merkins do when you disagree with someone. Then I would have a punched mouth and you would find yourself in financial trouble when I pretend I have chronic pain in my neck.

The internet has freed us of these concerns because people can simply avoid the things they don't want to discuss or hear. So the only people with hurt feelings on the internet are the ones who want their feelings hurt.

Letters, telegrams, telephone... these are (generally) private conversations between people that know each other. Why would you troll the people you know, when there's no merkin around to share the laugh?

So you feel that the internet has been a boon to honest communication - being able to say things to people that you might not be able to say in person? That sounds good. And people taking on different personas? The purpose of that is ..... ?

lingard

Coach
You're the one making the point, Ivor. What answer are you looking for?

Just your honest views on why someone would adopt a different persona on an internet forum, that's all. No specific answer required. I'm genuinely interested, that's all. Beats talking about numbers of try assists or what television series is the best.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Well I don't think they would. Why bother? The internet is where you're free to not have to adopt a persona.

lingard

Coach
Well I don't think they would. Why bother? The internet is where you're free to not have to adopt a persona.

Good. So we're here talking - adult to adult - without the artificial constraints of mainstream etiquette. No fronts, no ambiguities. Just raw honesty. Sounds great.

lingard

Coach
Ever see that old 1970's movie with Ryan O'Neil and Ali McGraw? You know the one - where they kept banging on about "love means never having to say you're sorry'. I guess the internet is a bit like that, eh? Serious question.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Ever see that old 1970's movie with Ryan O'Neil and Ali McGraw? You know the one - where they kept banging on about "love means never having to say you're sorry'. I guess the internet is a bit like that, eh? Serious question.

Why would someone apologise to the internet? I'm not sure I am following.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts