What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed Signings and Other Assorted Crap VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

natheel

Coach
would it be stupid to get a guy like Phil Gould in? Think about it...he would command alot of respect around the club, he would probably get some good signings in. He wouldn't give a shit on who to sack (look at Penrith) i think Gould would be one free agent who would turn the club around.

spartan2153

Juniors
would it be stupid to get a guy like Phil Gould in? Think about it...he would command alot of respect around the club, he would probably get some good signings in. He wouldn't give a shit on who to sack (look at Penrith) i think Gould would be one free agent who would turn the club around.

That would be a dream to have him coaching here

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
would it be stupid to get a guy like Phil Gould in? Think about it...he would command alot of respect around the club

Not necessarily. Eventually a bloke with a good reputation becomes an old joke in the eyes of the younger generation.

Back in the mid-90s everyone considered Phil Gould was one of the most esteemed people in rugby league - even the people who hated him.

Nowadays he's become a bit of a joke. It happens.

There's a reason he's not coaching Penrith.

boxhead

First Grade
Not necessarily. Eventually a bloke with a good reputation becomes an old joke in the eyes of the younger generation.

Back in the mid-90s everyone considered Phil Gould was one of the most esteemed people in rugby league - even the people who hated him.

Nowadays he's become a bit of a joke. It happens.

There's a reason he's not coaching Penrith.

Yeah, there is. He doesn't want to coach them.
Derp.

boxhead

First Grade
Becuase you implied he isn't coaching at Penrith because of his current abilities as a coach, or because of how he is seen by the rugby league community.

What does "There's a reason he's not coaching Penrith" mean then, if not what was implied? Given also that the prior sentence was "Nowadays he's become a bit of a joke. It happens."

:lol:

Eels Dude

Coach

From what I've seen of what Gould's done at Penrith so far it's a bit of a mess and I've a few mates who are Panthers fans who think the same. He got rid of Civo early, then didn't put up a fight to lose Michael Gordon. Then Luke Lewis wanted out and he just let him go (Must be more to that story than meets the eye) and he keeps telling Panthers fans it's going to take a good few years to clean up the place and they should expect short term pain.

Gould had success as a coach but his management skills seem sub par and some of the ideas he brings up in his newspaper articles and when he appears on TV just scream senile. He knows the game better than anyone when it comes to what's on the field, but off the field he doesn't seem to have much of a clue.

boxhead

First Grade
Well, they did run out of toilet paper.....

Actually, scratch that.
That isn't an issue Phil Gould would ever fix.

But, using the logic that the Penrith board had, they signed a retired coach that had been commentating for years/aging badly/had little true management experience to speak of in a managerial role.

Not much else to say.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Becuase you implied he isn't coaching at Penrith because of his current abilities as a coach, or because of how he is seen by the rugby league community.

What does "There's a reason he's not coaching Penrith" mean then, if not what was implied? Given also that the prior sentence was "Nowadays he's become a bit of a joke. It happens."

:lol:

If he doesn't want to coach it's because he knows he's no longer up to it. His reputation as a cantankerous old fossil is a big part of that.

To do a job like that there has to be desire. But there also has to be credibility. Just wanting to coach again won't get his foot back in the door.

boxhead

First Grade
If he doesn't want to coach it's because he knows he's no longer up to it. His reputation as a cantankerous old fossil is a big part of that.

To do a job like that there has to be desire. But there also has to be credibility. Just wanting to coach again won't get his foot back in the door.

Uh-huh. The only possibility is that his coaching ability is gone :roll:
I'm pretty damn sure Penrith wanted to hire him as a coach initially, but he rejected their offer and instead took up the managerial role. Given his ego, it is understandable.

If he really wanted to coach them, he would have gotten the job. If I were in his position, I would have turned it down as well.

Ratchy

Juniors
I'm pretty damn sure Penrith wanted to hire him as a coach initially, but he rejected their offer and instead took up the managerial role. Given his ego, it is understandable.

If he really wanted to coach them, he would have gotten the job. If I were in his position, I would have turned it down as well.

And he could keep his well paid cushy job at 9

oldmancraigy

Coach
Tell me this - why have we gone worse this year with a supposedly better roster? Kearney coached last year as well, so how much can the change in results be due to the coach?

Why has the team gone considerably worse in the second season under three successive coaches?

Different team each of the 3 seasons.

But 3 different scenarios that are united in their end result.

1. Hagan (history has shown that 1st season is his best, lack of discipline leads to regression)

2. Anderson - did a good job first year, was trying hard second year, but internal team stabilities (players not required carrying on like palavas) and lack of support (board apparently never wanted him), led to us winning a mere couple of games less

3. SK. 1st 10 rounds last year an abomination. From there had us playing structured and consistently. We lacked flair. Second year 1st 10 rounds were an abomination, after that SK showed a lack of ability to bring the team together.

Sure, there might be some culture issues, but name me the players who are common to all
6 years?
Hayne, Burt, Hindmarsh, Ben Smith, Moi Moi

Either it's all their fault, or the matching results came through differing (and fairly obvious) factors.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

Son, coaching 'ability' isn't some neatly numbered skill or ability category attributed to characters on whatever computer game you're currently playing.

The 'ability' to coach comprises a multitude of factors, and a big part of it is how you are perceived by the players.

Modern players share a lot of characteristics of modern fans, and modern fans have a largely negative view of Gould. There will be plenty of players that still respect Gould for what he's achieved in the game, and his level of knowledge, but more importantly there will be plenty who view him the same way most fans do.

Credibility is important for a coach, and it's something that can be lost as simply as being out of the game for a long time. In the same way, while getting the sack is an indication of a coach's ability, it also has a negative impact on his 'coaching ability' because getting sacked erodes a coach's credibility.

B-Tron 3000

Juniors
Not to mention that the longer you are at out of the game, the more chance that you fall behind the modern methods.

Gould has been away too long.

Ratchy

Juniors
Son, coaching 'ability' isn't some neatly numbered skill or ability category attributed to characters on whatever computer game you're currently playing.

The 'ability' to coach comprises a multitude of factors, and a big part of it is how you are perceived by the players.

Modern players share a lot of characteristics of modern fans, and modern fans have a largely negative view of Gould. There will be plenty of players that still respect Gould for what he's achieved in the game, and his level of knowledge, but more importantly there will be plenty who view him the same way most fans do.

Credibility is important for a coach, and it's something that can be lost as simply as being out of the game for a long time. In the same way, while getting the sack is an indication of a coach's ability, it also has a negative impact on his 'coaching ability' because getting sacked erodes a coach's credibility.

Champ the simple fact is if Gould put himself on the open market to coach there would be a line up of clubs wanting him. Just as the NSWRL originally wanted him before chasing Stuart.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Gould won't coach an NRL team the same reason he won't come back to origin. He doesn't want to ruin his legacy. He'd be mad too, he's remembered as one of the greats. He doesn't want to go out ala Chris Anderson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts