What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed Signings and TheRam's whinging XXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
His attack was fine if he was our fullback, but as a half back it all revolved around him, he had no f**ken idea on how to control a game. A massive issue for a halfback on big money!!

Plus he defence was shit!!

I actually was a Sandow fan but he was a disappointment!!

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Don't get hung up on the whole he's-the-halfback thing. Corey Norman got more touches than Sandow in just about every game these past two years.

There are two halves in a team (plus a hooker and fullback) and plenty of halves just stick to one edge and play what they see. This year the Dogs have two of them.

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
I will say he is better than Kelly at most things a halves player need like passing, kicking, setting up other players etc.

Not sure how important defence is either in your back up halves. If you worried about your halves being good defensive players, your side is in trouble

Is Basil's brush Faulty?

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
Yes and defence was not his job.

In the modern game of intense power, speed and great skill with hand and boot for 80 minutes there is nowhere to hide a weak defensive player anymore. And thanks to video and the evolution of smarts, all weak links get found out one way or another over a season which is what happened with Sandow consistently for 3+ seasons defending for the Eels. Six attacking formations in a set are often used these days to gradually expose a weak link in the chain of defence. Sandow got found out so much that he was leaking 12 to 18 points from at least 50% of games he played (would not be surprised to find it around 70%). He had to go, his attack was not capable of regularly producing more points than he was leaking.

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
I love the idea of 7 interchanges per game. This will compensate for the intense growth in defence that is mostly suffocating our game these days. After the 10 minute mark, holes can be opened up from anywhere on the field which will bring back the Steve Mortimer, Scott Sattler and Eric Grothe Senior style of long distance cover defence sweeping up broken play. Throw in 2 points for tries scored from kicks taken inside the attacking 30 or 40 metre zone to spice up our family entertainment game and bingo, we are again heading in the right direction.

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
Here comes the kick..................... again...

CarolNelson_t810.jpg

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Percentage wise, how many tries do you reckon are actually scored from kicks?

With the 7 tackle set if the ball goes out into the in-goal I reckon that tries from kicks has fallen. I also reckon that line drop-outs are down as teams aren't willing to take the chance.

T.S Quint

Coach
Yeah, I just don't think that there are so many tries from kicks that it's worth worrying about.

Besides, there are heaps of tries that are scored from kicks that are just sensational. I wouldn't want to try and get rid of them at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts