What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

franklin2323

Immortal
Tyrone Phillips was in the top 30, Crichton development player but given the injuries to both Mansour & DWZ during 2018 there was an opportunity for the club to apply for exemption for Sivo to debut in NRL but alas Griffin went with Crichton and ultimately that was the decision which led to Sivo seeking opportunity elsewhere. I remember thinking at the time we should have given Sivo a crack as he had more upside than Crichton but at the time he did have areas in his game which were a concern so I wasn’t surprised when Griffin went down the safer route. It hasn’t turned out well but it is what is and good luck to Sivo for making every post a winner.

Exemptions are hard to get though especially with a fit player in the squad somewhere. I have no doubt Hook didn't rate him and last year he was no where near ready but like with all the dumb decisions over the past few years no one person is to blame.

In the grand scheme of stuff ups signing Ivan. Firing hook after re-signing him and so on is worse decisions. Then a winger having what is so far just one great year

Flashstep

Juniors
Would having Sivo instantly make Naden pass it? Or the halves throw cutout passes? Or Edwards do sweeping moves?

I do admit he would setup a few tries himself but I doubt it would be enough to put us in the 8

I get what you’re saying but look at what To’o is doing in this side ever since he came into first grade and because our attack is so poor we could use all the weapons we can get.

You’re right though we have much bigger issues then wingers at the moment.

franklin2323

Immortal
I get what you’re saying but look at what To’o is doing in this side ever since he came into first grade and because our attack is so poor we could use all the weapons we can get.

You’re right though we have much bigger issues then wingers at the moment.

To'o has scored 3 or 4 out of nothing and for all his flaws Whare can pass unlike Naden.

Don't get me wrong I don't think 1 try for a winger (as Mansour has) is acceptable... But I can't remember him bombing any tries. He has had 4 or 5 disallowed from forward passes etc. Probably been a few half chances he missed that Sivo would take but the other issues are still there

Kilkenny

Coach
Exemptions are hard to get though especially with a fit player in the squad somewhere. I have no doubt Hook didn't rate him and last year he was no where near ready but like with all the dumb decisions over the past few years no one person is to blame.

In the grand scheme of stuff ups signing Ivan. Firing hook after re-signing him and so on is worse decisions. Then a winger having what is so far just one great year

There is a lot of people on here outraged at our failure to retain Sivo but the point I make is there were a lot of Issues which conspired against us and it is somewhat unfortunate rather than a huge stuff up as some would make out. In my opinion had Griffin gambled and selected Sivo in preference to Crichton things could have turned out differently, but at the same time he was leaking as many tries in NSW Cup as he was scoring. Perhaps as you suggest had we of applied for an exemption for Sivo it may not have been granted but Crichton was drafted into the top grade prior to June 30 so they had to get an exemption for him at the time. MWZ, Tyrone Phillips, resigning Josh Mansour had no bearing whatsoever in respect of losing Maika Sivo.

franklin2323

Immortal
There is a lot of people on here outraged at our failure to retain Sivo but the point I make is there were a lot of Issues which conspired against us and it is somewhat unfortunate rather than a huge stuff up as some would make out. In my opinion had Griffin gambled and selected Sivo in preference to Crichton things could have turned out differently, but at the same time he was leaking as many tries in NSW Cup as he was scoring. Perhaps as you suggest had we of applied for an exemption for Sivo it may not have been granted but Crichton was drafted into the top grade prior to June 30 so they had to get an exemption for him at the time. MWZ, Tyrone Phillips, resigning Josh Mansour had no bearing whatsoever in respect of losing Maika Sivo.

I know last year when mentioned I said he wasn't ready due to the little things like lack of dummy half scoots etc. So I get why the same was thought and in this one time we look like fools BUT for every one that work out another 10 or so don't

mxlegend99

Referee
To'o has scored 3 or 4 out of nothing and for all his flaws Whare can pass unlike Naden.

Don't get me wrong I don't think 1 try for a winger (as Mansour has) is acceptable... But I can't remember him bombing any tries. He has had 4 or 5 disallowed from forward passes etc. Probably been a few half chances he missed that Sivo would take but the other issues are still there
The match Mansour got dropped for... he bombed literally everything sent his way. Sivo on the wing in that match probably converts atleast one of those opportunities.

Since that match we havent tried to give him as many opportunities. Harder to bomb them when your team gives up on your ability to finish and stops asking you to.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
It's a recent player we let go deciding to sign others. Very relevant to the thread.

Is there a rumour we have signed him? talking to him? If not, I can’t see the relevance.....
Isn’t there an entire thread dedicated to former Panthers Playing in the NRL?

Flashstep

Juniors

I think Mansour has a lot more problems than scoring tries, defensively poor and not good in the air, plus he’s had a few bombed tries due to his lack of speed.

You’re right about him being outside hogs of centres but I think if we had Sivo in the team our halves would at least put crossfield chips towards him, the same started to happen when Naden came Into the team

OldPanther

Coach
Is there a rumour we have signed him? talking to him? If not, I can’t see the relevance.....
Isn’t there an entire thread dedicated to former Panthers Playing in the NRL?

That's where this started. It came here as a discussion on our roster management/hiring policy.

franklin2323

Immortal
The match Mansour got dropped for... he bombed literally everything sent his way. Sivo on the wing in that match probably converts atleast one of those opportunities.

Since that match we havent tried to give him as many opportunities. Harder to bomb them when your team gives up on your ability to finish and stops asking you to.

And since he hasn't played how much ball has Crichton got?

Kikau and Naden have zero try assists. That is part of the problem there. We are last for try assists.. That is despite having the most tackles inside the 20.

So I fail to see how a winger fixes that alone

franklin2323

Immortal
I think Mansour has a lot more problems than scoring tries, defensively poor and not good in the air, plus he’s had a few bombed tries due to his lack of speed.

You’re right about him being outside hogs of centres but I think if we had Sivo in the team our halves would at least put crossfield chips towards him, the same started to happen when Naden came Into the team

Defence for a winger is hard to measure because often the guy they mark goes untouched but on tackle % both our wingers are better.

I thought that too but then the giant Crichton came in and we haven't done it once yet

Kev07

Juniors
Then a winger having what is so far just one great year[/QUOTE]

2016 playing for Mounties Ron Massey scored 35 tries in 19 games

2017 playing for Saint Mary's Ron Massey scored 18 tries in 9 games

2017/18 playing for Panthers Canterbury Cup scored 22 tries in 25 games

2019 playing for Eels Nrl scored 20 tries in 23 games.

Yep one great year, he's on the decline

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
Then a winger having what is so far just one great year

Yep one great year, he's on the decline[/QUOTE]

Ahh yes cause lower grade tries matter when you hit FG...

Kev07

Juniors

Ahh yes cause lower grade tries matter when you hit FG...[/QUOTE]
Seems only in your case they don't

OldPanther

Coach

Ahh yes cause lower grade tries matter when you hit FG...[/QUOTE]

It does when you replicate your form. Shows it isn't a random occurrence.

franklin2323

Immortal

It does when you replicate your form. Shows it isn't a random occurrence.[/QUOTE]

For one year. You don't think Bellamy, Bennett and co will work him out? That is why players struggle in year 2. They either develop more or fade away

mxlegend99

Referee
His 20 NRL tries sure as f**k matter.

His lower grade tries provehis NRL strike rate is not a fluke.

Its f**king ridiculous tosuggest he wouldn't do better on the wing than Mansour has. He has height and speed over Mansour. And more power. Honestly Mansour only has him covered in workrate and its not really beneficial to the team with Mansour getting all that ball anymore.

franklin2323

Immortal
His 20 NRL tries sure as f**k matter.

His lower grade tries provehis NRL strike rate is not a fluke.

Its f**king ridiculous tosuggest he wouldn't do better on the wing than Mansour has. He has height and speed over Mansour. And more power. Honestly Mansour only has him covered in workrate and its not really beneficial to the team with Mansour getting all that ball anymore.

So if Mansour and Sivo swapped places does either teams spot on the ladder change?

That is all I am saying that it isn't like for like and need more than a sample size of 23 games to know if it is a flash in the pan year or if he is just that good

Kev07

Juniors
It does when you replicate your form. Shows it isn't a random occurrence.

For one year. You don't think Bellamy, Bennett and co will work him out? That is why players struggle in year 2. They either develop more or fade away[/QUOTE]
They haven't worked the rookie out this year as he's scored against both teams.
The only top 4 team he hasn't scored against is the Raiders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts