What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

franklin2323

Immortal
Perhaps the 1.2m figure is for 2 years (600k per)?

That would make more sense because even with salary cap rises. We'd need a $15m cap in 2023 for all these figures to be right.

I think that is still paid overs but he wasn't performing and the club leaks these figures to try to please those that believed the myth that RCG was a good player

franklin2323

Immortal
Blakes hasn’t really done any more in his short time with the Eels than he did with us.

He is certainly getting more quality ball but I have watched him closely and I haven’t seen anything to suggest he is performing anywhere near his potential. He is potentially very good but just rarely delivers which is disappointing for someone who is clearly gifted athletically.

Still is needing to be put in holes

franklin2323

Immortal
I haven't run the numbers reported but we'd surely be close to $15m based on media reports(which I believe they are wrong)

I believe we were right on the cap.
I don't believe anyone was backended
I believe Gus paid overs to a few guys on potential and that is how we got to this situation

Abacus

Juniors
Peter reckons we’re paying $400k per year of RCG’s deal, he also says by year four of the deal RCG is on $1.2m

(He works at the western weekender)

I know Peter from a while back. Nice guy but happy to run with gossip as fact - so the same as most journos out there. And then his colleague Doddsy there to back him up so the WW doesn't lose credibility.

Unfortunately given their ties to the board and their willingness to advocate on behalf of the board, its difficult to believe anything out of the WW at the moment.

mxlegend99

Referee
Gus f**ked our cap made it worse than before he got here . Just might have to put our faith in the big three . So no premiership for another 10 years unless we merge with big brother .
The media have no f**king idea. They had Sam Mckendry on $800k a year.

Gus came out critiscizing Fifita having $1m a season offers as he said only guys with match winning ability should get that money.

Theres simply no way he has RCG on that sort of money based on his views of the game and salary cap. When Hunt signed a $1m contract he came out blasting it saying no player was worth that and theonly player he would pah that was Thurston.

Its believable he would later pay our #7 that sort of money. But not RCG.

Kilkenny

Coach
1. Yep

2. Paragraph 1 is fine. The other two are not.
If you were found “Not Proven” the judge is saying that you are probably guilty, but the prosecution hasn’t proven it, which simply doesn’t happen.

There is absolutely no point referring to OJ Simpson or any other American case, especially one so old.

I understand that the court system isn’t perfect, but it’s quite rare that it gets the verdict wrong. It’s all the “back stage” bargaining etc that interferes.

My reference to the ‘Not Proven’ concept is not my idea by the way it is one that has been explored and canvassed by legal minds and authorities much more learned than me.

The reference to OJ is simply just the classic example of how a jury can get things so wrong.

As for a Court or Jury to be rarely wrong in there verdicts. Wow!!! There is a big statement. You have a lot of faith in our current crop of Magistrates, Judges and Juries. Well done there. And this is from a current serving Police Officer. Let’s never get into a debate about the Parole Board and there decisions or we could have a war on our hands.

In days gone by when Police Officers had to go to court on a much more frequent basis than they do now and give evidence in Local, District and Supreme Courts it exposed Police Officers to the flaws and disappointments of the justice system. That’s not your fault, just the system, where plea bargains and all the other bullshit that goes on means the current crop of Police Officers don’t experience the flaws because they rarely have to actually give evidence in Court and go thru the hearing or trial process.

Last edited:
I know Peter from a while back. Nice guy but happy to run with gossip as fact - so the same as most journos out there. And then his colleague Doddsy there to back him up so the WW doesn't lose credibility.

Unfortunately given their ties to the board and their willingness to advocate on behalf of the board, its difficult to believe anything out of the WW at the moment.

I don’t disagree with much of what you’re saying, but keep in mind that they didn’t just blurt out the info, I asked. And the $400k we’re allegedly paying doesn’t make the current board sound good.

Whatever the true figure we can be sure that RCG was way overpaid, and that’s on Gus.

Flashstep

Juniors
I don’t think it’s to far fetched to think Gould backended contracts big time thinking the salary cap would get bigger over time, plus he always seemed to get way to personal with players, he always said he wouldn’t have anyone on minimum wage which is just stupid in today’s game. Wouldn’t surprise me if he just overrated so many of young guys and gave em big money.

Makes sense to me considering the board went behind his back to get Ivan back, then they sacked Gould and let go of DWZ, Blake and RCG with no clear replacements in the juniors. They had to have been sick of the way Gould was running the place considering all he did to turn us around.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
My reference to the ‘Not Proven’ concept is not my idea by the way and one that has been explored and canvassed by legal minds and authorities much more learned than me.

The reference to OJ is simply just the classic example of how a jury can get things so wrong.

In days gone by when Police Officers had to go to court on a much more frequent basis than they do now and give evidence in Local, District and Supreme Courts it exposed Police Officers to the flaws and disappointments of the justice system. That’s not your fault, just the system, where plea bargains and all the other bullshit that goes on means the current crop of Police Officers don’t experience the flaws because they rarely have to actually give evidence in Court and go thru the hearing or trial process.

I know the ins and outs of every matter I have before the court. Giving evidence in court is such a small part or the court process. Trust me, we get exposed, by I stand by my opinion that they don’t often get the verdict wrong.

Let’s talk footy,

TheFrog

Coach
I think we all know they are effectively now doing the same job albeit it is a play on words and technically based on Industrial Law you can’t make someone redundant the one minute only to hire someone in the same position the next minute.
Why not? In the public sector it would raise plenty of eyebrows but in the private sector you can pretty much do what you like with your money, I'd have thought.

martielang

Bench
Happy with Walker. Capewell maybe as the forward? Not sure he played so probably doesn’t count.

Big Franky with the good oil.

Kilkenny

Coach
I know the ins and outs of every matter I have before the court. Giving evidence in court is such a small part or the court process. Trust me, we get exposed, by I stand by my opinion that they don’t often get the verdict wrong.

Let’s talk footy,

Footy it is then, you just got my back up when you inferred I knew nothing about the judicial system. I do, trust me.

More than you’ll ever know.

Status
Not open for further replies.