What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldPanther

Coach
No on Moylan.

Cleary and Burton are future.

Luai unsure

Korisau is great option now

Need a 1 or 2 back and a few old heads in pack. Dont have to be stars.
Mannah would be a nifty cheap bench option.

I see what you're doing. We aren't taking your players who are finished with their career.

hindy111

Post Whore
His cost would be 150k.
He may not make the top 17 but his an honest hard working forward. I'd have him in my side over Alvaro. A few injuries and he would be handy. You dont think he offers good value and cover? Great in defense and what lack.

OldPanther

Coach
His cost would be 150k.
He may not make the top 17 but his an honest hard working forward. I'd have him in my side over Alvaro. A few injuries and he would be handy. You dont think he offers good value and cover? Great in defense and what lack.

The club keeps saying they are a development club. Those depth spots will be held by juniors on min wage or match payments.

tripster

Juniors
Barely anything in that is true.

Which part isn’t true?

It is true that he was a touch football player and his skills developed from that form of football.

As to his attacking ability in the opposition 20m, if you go back through this forum you will find plenty of commentary about us being unable to score within the opposition 20m when Moylan was here. We had the same problem as we do now where we couldn’t score against better defences in that part of the field.

It is also true that Moylan’s attacking skills are limited to his passing.

He does not have a long kicking game.

He is terribly slow and does not have a running game.

He has started to develop a short kicking game at the Sharks but no one would say he is someone who can reliably earn a repeat set.

tripster

Juniors
I agree with all that except Mannah.

Tim Grant wants to go round again we would be better off giving him a 1 year deal.

I’d also be happy to have Grant for another year. I think he also earned it after retiring during the season to allow To’o (or maybe it was Kenny) to come into our top 30.

Panther FIRE

Juniors
So you dump a coach, and give him a huge pay out, because apparently he couldn't man manage well enough. Then you go and move on a whole bunch of players, that apparently he couldn't manage, anyway.

Bring back Richo!

chrisD

Coach
Which part isn’t true?
The whole narrative is just a load of dribble. In the 2015 and 16 seasons the only player averaging more try assists than Moylan was Thurston, barely, and as you say Moylan wasn't kicking, meaning he's not getting try assists from simply throwing up 50/50 kicks to the wing on the last like all the other play makers.

A fit Matt Moylan in the opposition 20 was simply lethal, and we were a strong attacking team when he was the centre of the attack and allowed to do his thing. Moylan out the back down the right hand side in 2015 was as consistent an attacking threat as we've ever had. If there was a problem it was that we lacked for finishing and much of his work went without reward, especially after Simmons retired.

tripster

Juniors
The whole narrative is just a load of dribble. In the 2015 and 16 seasons the only player averaging more try assists than Moylan was Thurston, barely, and as you say Moylan wasn't kicking, meaning he's not getting try assists from simply throwing up 50/50 kicks to the wing on the last like all the other play makers.

A fit Matt Moylan in the opposition 20 was simply lethal, and we were a strong attacking team when he was the centre of the attack and allowed to do his thing. Moylan out the back down the right hand side in 2015 was as consistent an attacking threat as we've ever had. If there was a problem it was that we lacked for finishing and much of his work went without reward, especially after Simmons retired.

I am not disputing that he can set up tries. I am disputing where those tries are set up and pointing out the one dimensional nature of his attacking skills.

I absolutely disagree that he was ever lethal in the opposition 20 m. That’s rewriting history. What he was great at doing was creating line break assists and try assists from further out when he got a quick play the ball and the defence was back pedalling.

If his performances in 2015 are what you are looking to for bringing him back that’s also problematic - if we sign him we are getting the 2019-2020 Moylan, not the 2015 one. The trend in his performances from the end of his time with us through to now has not been a positive one.

The yak

Juniors
So who is this other forward signing Franklin23 has been cryptically implying?

Franklin if you don't want to give the name up yet, are you happy with this player coming here? Is he a controversial player or like me getting on in time?

chrisD

Coach
I am not disputing that he can set up tries. I am disputing where those tries are set up and pointing out the one dimensional nature of his attacking skills.
So you're saying he had an unusual amount of try assists from outside the 20m? The reply to that would be no they weren't you're dribbling shit.

tripster

Juniors
So you're saying he had an unusual amount of try assists from outside the 20m? The reply to that would be no they weren't you're dribbling shit.

I don’t know if it was an “unusual” amount but the majority of his try assists were definitely outside the opposition 20m.

That’s also consistent with the fact his tries weren’t coming off kicks. Other players who are getting a lot of try assists inside the opposition 20m are generally earning a lot of those with kicks (which is often the only way of breaking better defences).

Luke Bowden

First Grade
The more I think about it the more I think JWH is the way to go.

Imagine how much he would fire up Fish, Spencer and Mose!! That combined with Martin, Kiks and Jimmy is a formidable pack.

betcats

Referee
I don’t know if it was an “unusual” amount but the majority of his try assists were definitely outside the opposition 20m.

That’s also consistent with the fact his tries weren’t coming off kicks. Other players who are getting a lot of try assists inside the opposition 20m are generally earning a lot of those with kicks (which is often the only way of breaking better defences).

The fact that Moylan could almost match JT for assists without a lot of kicks shows just how much ability he had with the ball in hand. He was a weapon when for during those years when fit, in that form he makes any teams attack better.

Rhyno

First Grade
Ivan getting rid of the players that ain’t in Nathan’s little clique Blake, Maloney, RCG etc

Abacus

Juniors
I don’t disagree with much of what you’re saying, but keep in mind that they didn’t just blurt out the info, I asked. And the $400k we’re allegedly paying doesn’t make the current board sound good.

Whatever the true figure we can be sure that RCG was way overpaid, and that’s on Gus.
Come on Herb. I know its Sunday but no excuses for posting idiocy. It doesn't matter whether you asked or they blurted.

The $400k comment is intended solely to discredit Gould and deflect any responsibility for the decision from the board.

The $400k, if true, raises questions about the board's governance and ability to maintain the required confidentiality typically forming part of these agreements.

I'm not sure how you're so "sure that RCG was way overpaid, and that's on Gus." At the time of signing, RCG had come off the 2017 season where he played 5 games for Australia then started for NSW in 2018. Since he re-signed about 3 weeks later, these achievements would be factored into his contract.

More concerning is that Hook was able to get more out of RCG than Ivan (like the rest of the squad), to the point where RCG reportedly told Spud Carroll that Ivan was off him. It's more likely Ivan considered RCG and the team weren't putting in and couldn't understand why last years intensity was not there after such an enjoyable low-key preseason.

All we know is that Ivan backed against himself getting RCG back to his prior form.

Rhyno

First Grade
Now he wants Nathan to be captain bad signs for the panthers

I’ll be getting on them to win the wooden spoon next year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts