What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

InSucToSivE

Juniors
To be honest at this point. I am just waiting to see who we sign. We let alot go. I hope there was a method to it.

I hope we sign what is needed.
I hope there is a plan.

Hopefully we will get off to a better start next year.

mxlegend99

Referee
It's pretty disconcerting that the general consensus is that we want elite level signings - and even then we're concerned about how they would play if we got them here.

It's a pretty clear indication that we don't think Dave's mate is capable of getting the best out of a squad of players to the point that they are a legitimate threat - either by developing players to their potential or by setting the high standards required to get the elite players delivering at their elite level regularly.

Hats off to the Bellamy's and Robinson's that manage their rosters and individual players for optimal results.
Robinson is a good coach. But it would be pretty easy to manage a roster where the salary cap doesn't apply.

Back to back premierships on the back of signing Tedesco and Cronk... the best halfback and fullbacks in the game at the time of signing them.

It wouldnt be possible for any club or coach to manage their cap that well. The premiership before that was won on the back of Jennings, SBW and Maloney being added to the roster.

Even a mediocre coach could achieve decent results when your roster is constantly upgraded with the cream of the crop players on the market in positions that have gotten weak. Robinson is clearly a good coach still... not all coaches would have taken his roster back to back or potentially won either premiership. But it was clearly the best roster in the competition

Bellamy on the other hand keeps delivering without signing big names... hes incredible in developing superstars. Many who look shit once they leave him.

I think Robinson here would achieve average results... improving us but not making us agenuine threat. While Bellamy would make us or any roster a genuine threat. He would know which players will buy into his system and get the best out of them. Replacing the others

franklin2323

Immortal
To be honest at this point. I am just waiting to see who we sign. We let alot go. I hope there was a method to it.

I hope we sign what is needed.
I hope there is a plan.

Hopefully we will get off to a better start next year.

I don't think we need much. A few stats make us look worse then it was but no reason we can't improve enough to come 5th or 6th build higher as the Flegg guys develop

franklin2323

Immortal
I agree. I don't think we need much.

More of a push in the right direction say.

The attack lacks structure. We seemed unfit need old heads mostly.

A rough guess I have us bombing atleast 2 tries a game. Sometimes more those bombed tries comeback and are either a penalty or error which blows out those stats too.

Fine tuning that will go a long way to improving the side

Abacus

Juniors
Robinson is a good coach. But it would be pretty easy to manage a roster where the salary cap doesn't apply.

Back to back premierships on the back of signing Tedesco and Cronk... the best halfback and fullbacks in the game at the time of signing them.

It wouldnt be possible for any club or coach to manage their cap that well. The premiership before that was won on the back of Jennings, SBW and Maloney being added to the roster.

Even a mediocre coach could achieve decent results when your roster is constantly upgraded with the cream of the crop players on the market in positions that have gotten weak. Robinson is clearly a good coach still... not all coaches would have taken his roster back to back or potentially won either premiership. But it was clearly the best roster in the competition

Bellamy on the other hand keeps delivering without signing big names... hes incredible in developing superstars. Many who look shit once they leave him.

I think Robinson here would achieve average results... improving us but not making us agenuine threat. While Bellamy would make us or any roster a genuine threat. He would know which players will buy into his system and get the best out of them. Replacing the others
I guess the point I was trying to make was that you could give Ivan the Roosters' or Storm's 2019 roster and they wouldn't be a Top 4 team. I think he's incapable of setting the high standards required of the players, not just at training but away from the club also.

Sadly, I think most here understand it too - Ivan wouldn't know how to build a team to a comp. You could give him all the pieces of a premiership team but he'd be more focused on who he doesn't have, or who's injured, rather than developing what he has into a unit with a single focus to be The Best by setting the highest performance standards.

He, and this club, needs to lose the "battler" mentality/perception. Elite players don't want to sign for battlers when they can sign for an elite/successful club instead. The club needs to be doing what needs doing to be The Best. But Brian, Dave & his mate are all used to being battlers, so even though they're running the club they probably don't even recognise that there is an alternative approach. And that it starts with them.

Kilkenny

Coach
I guess the point I was trying to make was that you could give Ivan the Roosters' or Storm's 2019 roster and they wouldn't be a Top 4 team. I think he's incapable of setting the high standards required of the players, not just at training but away from the club.

I suspect you may be right. It would be nice however to acquire four really quality players, including some strike power in the outside backs, and see what he can do. It we don’t recruit some quality players well 2020 is going to more of the same of what we have seen this season.

franklin2323

Immortal
Real quality don't just move teams.

As for Ivan with the Storm squad. You don't think Cam Smith would make sure the players kept a high standard?

While I agree coaching has been ordinary the past few years the leading players haven't exactly lead from the front on the field.

The whole mindset needs to change

Abacus

Juniors
I suspect you may be right. It would be nice however to acquire four really quality players, including some strike power in the outside backs, and see what he can do. It we don’t recruit some quality players well 2020 is going to more of the same of what we have seen this season.
I hear you. I'd love to end up with JWH, Leilua and a couple of guys yet to be released. It would let us see what Ivan is capable of. The flipside being that if we don't sign them, poor results will be blamed on lack of cattle and Ivan gets a free ride.

I worry our negotiating power/ability may be less than what it was. Hence those four really quality players are unlikely to arrive.

Kilkenny

Coach
I hear you. I'd love to end up with JWH, Leilua and a couple of guys yet to be released. It would let us see what Ivan is capable of. The flipside being that if we don't sign them, poor results will be blamed on lack of cattle and Ivan gets a free ride.

I worry our negotiating power/ability may be less than what it was. Hence those four really quality players are unlikely to arrive.

Unlikely? Let’s be honest here. There’s zero chance. There’s not a lot of quality available and if there was they ain’t coming our way.

kinghippo

Juniors
Roosters will keep JWH until they find someone better.
Knowing them they will probably sign Arrow and Fifita with Cronks money and “ regrettably “ let JWH go for a big money contract elsewhere to pretend the cap applies to them.
That is of course after they upgrade Latrell and Manu.

age.s

First Grade
Someone mentioned earlier that they've warmed to the idea of the JWH signing. I'm definitely in that boat too.

Dude was unlucky not to win the CC. When was the last time we signed someone like that?

martielang

Bench
Really depends what we're paying though. I struggle to see how our recruitment team & coaches can look at this season & pinpoint our FR rotation as the place we need to spend the most money. Tamou, JFH were our two best players & Leota came on in leaps & bounds the back half of the year.

franklin2323

Immortal
Really depends what we're paying though. I struggle to see how our recruitment team & coaches can look at this season & pinpoint our FR rotation as the place we need to spend the most money. Tamou, JFH were our two best players & Leota came on in leaps & bounds the back half of the year.

We need edge forwards. JFH or Yeo can play edge so if JWH or someone comes in then we can run out like this

JWH
Api
Tamou
Kikau
JFH/Yeo
Yeo/JFH

Martin
Leota
Kenny
Leinu

Status
Not open for further replies.