What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Betcats..... i get you don't rate Griffin ... But your argument is flawed.... You think we should be so much higher on the ladder than we are.... Well what about the Bulldogs, The Raiders, Rabbits, and the Warriors..... with the talent and coaching names the above teams have do you think 'they are where they should be'. ..... Yeh honestly answer that.

And if we beat the cowboys this week we are ahead of them.... Betcats a while ago i argued that the Broncos have failed because with all the money, third party agreements, ...basically a whole state behind them.... they have failed because they have not one a comp in over 10 years. Well the ' ANTI GRIFFIN CREW' argued at least Bennett always made the finals........... well WTF IS Griffin on target to do at our club..... but hey the second youngest team in the comp should never have brain faid's always should win when expected too.... should i go on.

Our last game of 2015 was a wooden spoon play off against Newcastle.. we were lucky to win. In not even 2 full seasons we have come a long way. Betcats have a look at how happy that group of players are.... This team is going places and Griffin has played a big part in this.
Our improvement since 2015 is more to do with sacking Ronnie and Ivan. Those injury tolls were insane and not just luck.

So as someone who openly doesn't think Griffin is the answer I'll admit one of his good points is injury management

betcats

Referee
Betcats..... i get you don't rate Griffin ... But your argument is flawed.... You think we should be so much higher on the ladder than we are.... Well what about the Bulldogs, The Raiders, Rabbits, and the Warriors..... with the talent and coaching names the above teams have do you think 'they are where they should be'. ..... Yeh honestly answer that.

And if we beat the cowboys this week we are ahead of them.... Betcats a while ago i argued that the Broncos have failed because with all the money, third party agreements, ...basically a whole state behind them.... they have failed because they have not one a comp in over 10 years. Well the ' ANTI GRIFFIN CREW' argued at least Bennett always made the finals........... well WTF IS Griffin on target to do at our club..... but hey the second youngest team in the comp should never have brain faid's always should win when expected too.... should i go on.

Our last game of 2015 was a wooden spoon play off against Newcastle.. we were lucky to win. In not even 2 full seasons we have come a long way. Betcats have a look at how happy that group of players are.... This team is going places and Griffin has played a big part in this.

I don't care about the other clubs what has that got to do with us? The raiders are the only team that has a squad as good as ours and I've never rated sticky as a coach, the rabbits have a poor squad with the worst backs in the comp and the dogs never looked like doing well, they were shot last year. Those last aren't in similar situations to us at all. The raiders are suffering from shitty coaching similar to us.

I also don't care what the so called anti Griffin crew apparently argued about Bennett and the broncos.

We have a great squad getting mediocre at best results, even most of our winning performances aren't impressive. Scraping into the 8 is not a good result for this squad. All that stuff about where we are headed blah blah blah is just fluff it's not real. We've had great young squads before that have been mismanaged and ruined it can easily happen again.

If we stay in the 8 let Griffin see out his contract but talk of extended his contract this season is insane IMO.

Last edited:

betcats

Referee
Mate, I am telling you there was NO substance to the rumours. Nothing happened.

TMM, Peta Hiku and the other lesser lights released were cap decisions pure and simple.

No offence mate but Gus could be telling me this to my face and I would still have doubts.

Kilkenny

Coach
No offence mate but Gus could be telling me this to my face and I would still have doubts.

Nothing to do with Gus. Straight from not one but two of the players, independent of one another. One in circumstances from which he had no reason to lie or no reason to defend TMM in any way whatsoever as he had already left the club.

As for anyone's opinion about Gus, he has done a lot in turning our club around giving what we put up with during previous general managers, chief executives what ever you want to call them. Have we achieved our five year plan, no probably not but we are in a much better position than we were when he came to our club. While on the subject, I have long accepted we cannot ever really have a true dynasty at our club given we cannot complete with the more powerful, more financial clubs who basically have unlimited resources in terms of the third party arrangements. If there were NO third party arrangements and all clubs had to abide by the salary cap then yes I think under our current regime we could have long term success but in reality in ain't gonna happen because we simply don't have the corporate dollars which allows an unlimited cap afforded to the Broncos, Roosters and one or two others in the NRL.

betcats

Referee
Nothing to do with Gus. Straight from not one but two of the players, independent of one another. One in circumstances from which he had no reason to lie or no reason to defend TMM in any way whatsoever as he had already left the club.

As for anyone's opinion about Gus, he has done a lot in turning our club around giving what we put up with during previous general managers, chief executives what ever you want to call them. Have we achieved our five year plan, no probably not but we are in a much better position than we were when he came to our club. While on the subject, I have long accepted we cannot ever really have a true dynasty at our club given we cannot complete with the more powerful, more financial clubs who basically have unlimited resources in terms of the third party arrangements. If there were NO third party arrangements and all clubs had to abide by the salary cap then yes I think under our current regime we could have long term success but in reality in ain't gonna happen because we simply don't have the corporate dollars which allows an unlimited cap afforded to the Broncos, Roosters and one or two others in the NRL.

Mate I'm not doubting that well positioned people told you it's not true I just don't believe that we let TMM go for salary cap purposes. The rumours of him being shopped around and on the outer(which were strongly denied by the coach and club more than once) started before we had moved Moylan. We dropped TMM when he was playing decently and put Bryce there as a stop gap again. I just don't see why we'd give up on him so quickly, it doesn't make sense and he had been performing well enough.

Kilkenny

Coach
Mate I'm not doubting that well positioned people told you it's not true I just don't believe that we let TMM go for salary cap purposes. The rumours of him being shopped around and on the outer(which were strongly denied by the coach and club more than once) started before we had moved Moylan. We dropped TMM when he was playing decently and put Bryce there as a stop gap again. I just don't see why we'd give up on him so quickly, it doesn't make sense and he had been performing well enough.

Personally, I thought TMM was playing well and truly believe he is a quality NRL player of the future. Very disappointed he left our club. I can't comment or speculate on the reasons why he fell out of favour so quickly other than to re-iterate he did not play up with any other players girlfriend based on what I have been told.

betcats

Referee
Personally, I thought TMM was playing well and truly believe he is a quality NRL player of the future. Very disappointed he left our club. I can't comment or speculate on the reasons why he fell out of favour so quickly other than to re-iterate he did not play up with any other players girlfriend based on what I have been told.

I agree re TMMs form and his future prospects, this is what makes it so hard to believe the rumours are completely false.

franklin2323

Immortal
Sure but there's no logical reason for re-signing Griffin early. Keep our options open.

The issue is for that though. We have the players locked up until end of 2019. So any new coach wouldn't be able to make the changes they would need to. So to re-sign him until atleast then makes sense he does have a winning record

franklin2323

Immortal
Not likely at all imo.

Green. Robinson. Maguire. Flanno. The last four coaches to win a premiership were at their first NRL head coaching gig you don't need to have Bellamy ready to come in before you move on your coach.

Sitting in 8th at this point is well below where we should be, f**king well below it. Beaten 1 top 8 team all year. Wait till this time next year and decide if we want to extend him why would you rush it? He's not in demand at all. We finished 6th last season btw so if we finish below that we haven't improved, we've gone backwards.

This is the second year in a row we've had to make massive changes to whatever Griffin was doing originally to get out the bottom four, I mean he had it all his way this offseason and we came out unprepared and playing a terrible brand of footy.

Maguire is rumoured to be getting sacked. Flanno had peptides to help him and Robinson has his own issues. Roosters fan at work hates that Watson hasn't been getting a run and Evans is being shafted for a plodder like Aubusson. So every coach has their own issues really

betcats

Referee
Maguire is rumoured to be getting sacked. Flanno had peptides to help him and Robinson has his own issues. Roosters fan at work hates that Watson hasn't been getting a run and Evans is being shafted for a plodder like Aubusson. So every coach has their own issues really

That wasn't really my point. Theres an idea that we have to have a more succusful coach lined up to move on Griffin. Im showing that's crap, the last four premierships have been won by coaches winning their first and in their first head coaching NRL jobs.

That being said I'll take Robinson's issues and his premiership and three minor premierships in his first four years any day of the week. I mean really Watson and Evans? They are sitting in the top four again this year, your mates a complete idiot if he isn't happy with Robbo.

And in regards to having a better coach lined up before you fire your current one, when we hired Griffin he had a shit record with the strongest club in the comp and that's his whole FG coaching career. Ivan meanwhile got us to a prelim and managed to drag the geniused f**king warriors to the top 8 more often than not even a GF.

franklin2323

Immortal
That wasn't really my point. Theres an idea that we have to have a more succusful coach lined up to move on Griffin. Im showing that's crap, the last four premierships have been won by coaches winning their first and in their first head coaching NRL jobs.

That being said I'll take Robinson's issues and his premiership and three minor premierships in his first four years any day of the week. I mean really Watson and Evans? They are sitting in the top four again this year, your mates a complete idiot if he isn't happy with Robbo.

And in regards to having a better coach lined up before you fire your current one, when we hired Griffin he had a shit record with the strongest club in the comp and that's his whole FG coaching career. Ivan meanwhile got us to a prelim and managed to drag the geniused f**king warriors to the top 8 more often than not even a GF.

So we have been entirely problem free off field this season?

Many reasons why we have struggled at times. We have 22 players on contract until end of 2019 so any new coach won't be able to fix the roster to his style. Then you throw in Griffin's win % is one of the best we have had so why would they throw a rookie coach in?

betcats

Referee
So we have been entirely problem free off field this season?

Many reasons why we have struggled at times. We have 22 players on contract until end of 2019 so any new coach won't be able to fix the roster to his style. Then you throw in Griffin's win % is one of the best we have had so why would they throw a rookie coach in?

The off field dramas are not and excuse for the underperformance this year, You make out like the clubs been in turmoil which is completely false. We've had far more disruptions caused by the coach and his constant changes than what TMM possibly banging someone's missus did.

If we don't make the 8 this year give Brennan a go. Our soft run is over now so we will see what happens. There is absolutely no f**king reason re sign Griffin this year though, none at all.

Frankus

Juniors
Green. Robinson. Maguire. Flanno. The last four coaches to win a premiership were at their first NRL head coaching gig you don't need to have Bellamy ready to come in before you move on your coach.
I agree don't extend yet unless he has offers from elsewhere.

And I get what you are saying but you can't compare those coaches and the sides they had to work with to our present situation. These sides weren't being rebuilt with a couple of veterans and a team full of rookies.

What did all 4 sides that won the comp have that we don't have? Experience, and the nucleus (not spine these are different) of each side had for the most part been together for years. Every side had multiple elite, seasoned players loaded with rep players (not TMM level internationals by the way). We are talking Thurston, Scott, SBWs, GI, Burgess, etc ELITE players. Players on a whole different level to anything we have. Yes we have some great players but none who can hold a candle to any of those I just mentioned. In each season mentioned, maybe 2 or 3 of our players would have made the starting 13 of the premiership winning side.

The other thing missing from our side is an enforcer in the forward pack. Roosters - JWH, Luke Odonnell, FPN, Souths - Burgess and Teo (his finals series performance was the best by a forward from any of these premierships), Cowboys - Scott, Taumololo, Sharks - everyone plays hard.

We have Jane Tamou...

franklin2323

Immortal
The off field dramas are not and excuse for the underperformance this year, You make out like the clubs been in turmoil which is completely false. We've had far more disruptions caused by the coach and his constant changes than what TMM possibly banging someone's missus did.

If we don't make the 8 this year give Brennan a go. Our soft run is over now so we will see what happens. There is absolutely no f**king reason re sign Griffin this year though, none at all.

I was talking more Bryce and Merrin's Home life then the TMM.

Under Griffin we have debuted

Cleary, Edwards, CHN, JFH who are now regulars ,Kikau and May who are still improving.

Got rid of Soward, Seg, Hiku, Taylor and a few other established players. Kept moving our spine to find what one works best. Yet we still have a 65% win record.

Tell me what other 1st year coach has matched that?

betcats

Referee
I agree don't extend yet unless he has offers from elsewhere.

And I get what you are saying but you can't compare those coaches and the sides they had to work with to our present situation. These sides weren't being rebuilt with a couple of veterans and a team full of rookies.

What did all 4 sides that won the comp have that we don't have? Experience, and the nucleus (not spine these are different) of each side had for the most part been together for years. Every side had multiple elite, seasoned players loaded with rep players (not TMM level internationals by the way). We are talking Thurston, Scott, SBWs, GI, Burgess, etc ELITE players. Players on a whole different level to anything we have. Yes we have some great players but none who can hold a candle to any of those I just mentioned. In each season mentioned, maybe 2 or 3 of our players would have made the starting 13 of the premiership winning side.

The other thing missing from our side is an enforcer in the forward pack. Roosters - JWH, Luke Odonnell, FPN, Souths - Burgess and Teo (his finals series performance was the best by a forward from any of these premierships), Cowboys - Scott, Taumololo, Sharks - everyone plays hard.

We have Jane Tamou...

I wasn't comparing the teams at all. That being said we got more experienced this season and look like we will be finishing in a worse position than last season so....

Status
Not open for further replies.