What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Exactly how I see it. The panic to buy anyone available is ridiculous

I totally agree. Especially with Crashtest's thinking. Shock of all shocks with Barratt back at the club attack hopefully will improve.

I think now is the time (this very minute), when there is little available on the open market) to just work hard and attempt to build a good foundation for 2020.

Thank goodness in the comming year Panthers will fly as Dessie would say well and truely 'under the radar' History tells me that's when Penrith Panthers do best with little or no expectation 2003 anyone ?

Crashtest

Juniors
Any genuine rumours?

In a Dean Ritchie article yesterday he listed us and three other clubs as being strongly linked to Zane Tetevano. No quotes though, so probably just the usual DT speculation, which in this case may be a good thing given the nature of his criminal charges.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...t/news-story/a840e4fad6ea92ae9015a98e77b4577b

Sydney Roosters forward Zane Tetevano has been squeezed out of Bondi. He has been strongly linked to Wests Tigers, Penrith, St George Illawarra and Gold Coast.

The yak

Juniors
In a Dean Ritchie article yesterday he listed us and three other clubs as being strongly linked to Zane Tetevano. No quotes though, so probably just the usual DT speculation, which in this case may be a good thing given the nature of his criminal charges.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...t/news-story/a840e4fad6ea92ae9015a98e77b4577b

Sydney Roosters forward Zane Tetevano has been squeezed out of Bondi. He has been strongly linked to Wests Tigers, Penrith, St George Illawarra and Gold Coast.

I posted a link last week on him. It got lost on all the off topic bullshit on here.
https://www.loverugbyleague.com/post/zane-tetevano-turns-down-super-league-move/

I think Dean Ritchie knows we are after a prop, like a few other clubs, and is just trying to fill in the blanks.

OldPanther

Coach

I sure hope not. I'm a huge believer in second chances but this guy blamed the toxic NRL for his behaviour and came straight back.

ACTPanthers

Bench

mxlegend99

Referee
Not sure why people expected November 1st to magically change things. The only significance of that date is we could approach players for the 2021 season.

There's always a chance anyone signing elsewhere for the following season can be negotiated to be released early. But having cleared the decks already we dont really have much to offer in terms of trades anyway or seemingly enough cap space for a big name.

Which is absurd considering the talent we released early. We just seemingly did so copping most of their contracts. Thats the only way Eels signings add up. Sign Blake and RCG. Upgrade Sivo. Still add Matterson ontop of all that.

Not sure why people expected November 1st to magically change things. The only significance of that date is we could approach players for the 2021 season.

There's always a chance anyone signing elsewhere for the following season can be negotiated to be released early. But having cleared the decks already we dont really have much to offer in terms of trades anyway or seemingly enough cap space for a big name.

Which is absurd considering the talent we released early. We just seemingly did so copping most of their contracts. Thats the only way Eels signings add up. Sign Blake and RCG. Upgrade Sivo. Still add Matterson ontop of all that.

We should’ve kept one of DWZ or Blake, terrible management to let both go.

DWZ could’ve been in the centres for us next year.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade

Just a question, (not a criticism) MX you're suggesting that Penrith would have been better in holding unto these players and use them as bargining tools for trades. Would that have made us over the cap ? Wouldn't it also be an issue if opposition clubs had already spent their money, and Penrith be left 'holding the baby'.

I'll admit to knowing little about this type of thing.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade

There has been continual chat that DWZ was an unsettling influence. Could have that backfired badly. Noticing that Penrith went on a run after DWZ and Blake were released.

(again not a criticism but just attempting to get my head around the whole issue.)

franklin2323

Immortal

Depends on how bad the cap was and how bad things were behind the scenes. Still waiting to see how it plays out before I decide if it was good or bad

In a perfect world Whare and Mansour go instead but maybe it doesn't free up enough or no one wanted either. Rumours were Parra approached us about Blake...Maybe that was only who we could sell

franklin2323

Immortal
Just a question, (not a criticism) MX you're suggesting that Penrith would have been better in holding unto these players and use them as bargining tools for trades. Would that have made us over the cap ? Wouldn't it also be an issue if opposition clubs had already spent their money, and Penrith be left 'holding the baby'.

That is the risk if you don't take these deals

franklin2323

Immortal

Teams do their audit then...so teams over for 2020 do the selling then too

Blade23

Juniors
Any news from your end @Blade23?

As of last week I was told the club is taking their time to see what unfolds as other clubs scramble to be cap compliant. We smell opportunities.
There is a rumour we are close to signing a prop, but that didn't come from my friend.
I am meeting him early next week to have a chat.

Also don't believe the denials we are still interested in Latrell, but if a club like the Tigers are stupid enough to pay top dollar, forget it.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
As of last week I was told the club is taking their time to see what unfolds as other clubs scramble to be cap compliant. We smell opportunities.
There is a rumour we are close to signing a prop, but that didn't come from my friend.
I am meeting him early next week to have a chat.

Also don't believe the denials we are still interested in Latrell, but if a club like the Tigers are stupid enough to pay top dollar, forget it.

Great info. It's all about the cat and mouse stuff isn't it ?

BxTom

Bench
There has been continual chat that DWZ was an unsettling influence. Could have that backfired badly. Noticing that Penrith went on a run after DWZ and Blake were released.

(again not a criticism but just attempting to get my head around the whole issue.)
What continual chat? Source? It's much more likely that he had a falling out with Cleary senior as Luke Lewis did - and that's pretty public knowledge. Been more chat about the incompetence of our management and I think 2020 will FURTHER bear that out.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
What continual chat? Source? It's much more likely that he had a falling out with Cleary senior as Luke Lewis did - and that's pretty public knowledge. Been more chat about the incompetence of our management and I think 2020 will FURTHER bear that out.

Heard it from a couple of souces from beginning of January till he left. Yep had a falling out with Cleary. Complained long and loud (seen rightly or wrongly that he was being disruptive). When Ivan decided he needed to go back to reggies Brandy Alexander (on fox) said that within 24 hours of that happening his manager had contacted the club and asked for a release.

It was also believed (management) that he was being paid too much for a winger. I have no idea how much his deal was when with us.

Last edited:

Whino

Bench
Heard it from a couple of souces from beginning of January till he left. Yep had a falling out with Cleary. Complained long and loud (seen rightly or wrongly that he was being disruptive). When Ivan decided he needed to go back to reggies Brandy Alexander (on fox) said that within 24 hours of that happening his manager had contacted the club and asked for a release.

It was also believed (management) that he was being paid too much for a winger. I have no idea how much his deal was when with us.

Former Panther Phil Adamson claims DWZ came back 'Big Headed" from NZ last year.

I don't know if its true or not. Something definitely happened. We will never know the truth.

mxlegend99

Referee

Well Jimmy was always leaving. Thats ~$850k right thete. So you let RCG go since hes our highest paid dud. Use his money for Korisau and get us back under cap with along with Jimmy money.

Then use the rest as bargaining chips. Tigers were desperate for DWZ and would have been quiet the bargaining chip to have. Likewise Blake would have been a big name to offer up aswell.

At the very least I believe we could have gotten more of their salary off our cap. If Eels had the money free to sign Matterson they could easily have paid more for Blake.

We could have aimed at trading DWZ for Matterson, then Blake to Eels with us covering less since they didnt land Matterson.

Might not work out that way. But if we couldnt get anyone atleast we had them. As it stands now we gave away a bunch of players and covered alot of their salaries. We should have had all the power if the players wanted out and other clubs wanted them. Yet in the end the players and opposition clubs got the better end of the deal.

I dont see us being in a good position to make signings at all right now. Other clubs have an advantage over us in the market so at best we get the scraps. In which case we are better off not signing anyone. I think we are in a very desperate position right now when the situation could have been worked in our favor. Or atleast less so against us.

Status
Not open for further replies.