What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

betcats

Referee
I think both of these are correct. The payer market is a dry as a nuns well you know. Our biggest hope is that these young guys are a step up from the old juniors in how we develop now and that Hetherington becomes the player he showed once or twice.

If Heathro can get the penalties out of his game then he will give us better impact off the bench than Rcg did this year, he doesn’t have to improve his footballing ability from what we saw from him in 2018 for him to give us more than Reggie was giving us.

If he had any discipline he’d be our starting prop next year next to Tamou and Fish. I really hope he can find it.

OldPanther

Coach
If Heathro can get the penalties out of his game then he will give us better impact off the bench than Rcg did this year, he doesn’t have to improve his footballing ability from what we saw from him in 2018 for him to give us more than Reggie was giving us.

If he had any discipline he’d be our starting prop next year next to Tamou and Fish. I really hope he can find it.

Yeah someone needs to teach him the meaning of "controlled aggression" there's definitely a very good prop in there.

Coastal

Juniors
RCG interview on NRL site about joining the Eels. Nothing sounding too positive from him about his move there, lots of "ums" and "I thinks" in his delivery. He wants to be back in a blues jersey but isn't at all looking forward to a hard pre-season, a pretty negative outlook from someone who wants to prove himself. He seems to lack a lot of confidence in himself, maybe he was told to earn his contract last year and just wasn't up to it mentally.

betcats

Referee
RCG interview on NRL site about joining the Eels. Nothing sounding too positive from him about his move there, lots of "ums" and "I thinks" in his delivery. He wants to be back in a blues jersey but isn't at all looking forward to a hard pre-season, a pretty negative outlook from someone who wants to prove himself. He seems to lack a lot of confidence in himself, maybe he was told to earn his contract last year and just wasn't up to it mentally.

There certainly seems to be something mentally holding him back.

betcats

Referee
One or two bad injuries will certainly take any shine off the "good"

One injury(Jfh) has already taken some shine off tbh but we will sign someone to improve the depth and if we have more injuries the young guys will have to step up. Leota and Tamou are a pretty solid starting pair imo, we just need to find a third middle guy to cover while fish is out. Leniu will be a good option off the bench for the rotation but I don’t think we could start him yet. Heathro maybe if he can have a good offseason.

Edit: One of Yeo or Marto at lock would be my choice while fish is out. Burns and Jed can fill out the edge rotation if need be.

OldPanther

Coach
One injury(Jfh) has already taken some shine off tbh but we will sign someone to improve the depth and if we have more injuries the young guys will have to step up. Leota and Tamou are a pretty solid starting pair imo, we just need to find a third middle guy to cover while fish is out. Leniu will be a good option off the bench for the rotation but I don’t think we could start him yet. Heathro maybe if he can have a good offseason.

Edit: One of Yeo or Marto at lock would be my choice while fish is out. Burns and Jed can fill out the edge rotation if need be.

That's how I see it. Hetherington as the extra prop with Yeo at lock. Our back row is stacked.

I think both of these are correct. The payer market is a dry as a nuns well you know. Our biggest hope is that these young guys are a step up from the old juniors in how we develop now and that Hetherington becomes the player he showed once or twice.

Agreed, though with the lack of the signing of an experienced prop (at this stage), that ‘hope’ you spoke of for Hetherington is fast becoming a ‘must’!

franklin2323

Immortal
That's how I see it. Hetherington as the extra prop with Yeo at lock. Our back row is stacked.

Not as stacked as everyone thinks.
Kikau 52 games.
Yeo 126.
Assuming JFH plays lock that leaves Martin with less than 20 games our next experienced..

Stacked with talent yes but not experience and that is the issue young guys will hit the wall eventually

franklin2323

Immortal

Martin was a middle. I'd rather him there but either way should stay in one spot.

Yeo would be in some doubt round 1. Imagine the pack without him and JFH

OldPanther

Coach
Not as stacked as everyone thinks.
Kikau 52 games.
Yeo 126.
Assuming JFH plays lock that leaves Martin with less than 20 games our next experienced..

Stacked with talent yes but not experience and that is the issue young guys will hit the wall eventually

That's what I mean when I say stacked. We have so many of them they can rotate out when needed so they don't hit that wall. The lack of experience is irrelevant for us at least in this one position.

franklin2323

Immortal
That's what I mean when I say stacked. We have so many of them they can rotate out when needed so they don't hit that wall. The lack of experience is irrelevant for us at least in this one position.

You don't remember the Brisbane game? Needed some experienced guys that could better decisions on the edge

OldPanther

Coach
You don't remember the Brisbane game? Needed some experienced guys that could better decisions on the edge

The same Brisbane game Luai was injured and we had to shift the positions? That game was never going to be better regardless due to off field stuff with the coach.

Also you are going to an extreme to fix the problem. To much experience and we have a bunch of plodders on retirement money.

franklin2323

Immortal
That’s why Tamou is there. He brings the experience & leadership. I think the obsession with experience is overdone.

Api as well.

Middle is fine which both those guys are.

It is edge that is the issue. Do yo u come in? Do you stay out? That sort of thing was shocking last year and plenty of positive changes except looking to fix the edges

franklin2323

Immortal
The same Brisbane game Luai was injured and we had to shift the positions? That game was never going to be better regardless due to off field stuff with the coach.

Also you are going to an extreme to fix the problem. To much experience and we have a bunch of plodders on retirement money.

Nope this year. Both games at Suncorp were ordinary on the edges

We have 4 spots not like all the team will be pensioners

betcats

Referee
Agreed, though with the lack of the signing of an experienced prop (at this stage), that ‘hope’ you spoke of for Hetherington is fast becoming a ‘must’!

This is true, I think we need another prop. I wouldn’t mind another Tim Grant type signing if that’s all we can get, someone who won’t let you down off the bench but can go back to reserve grade when fish is back.

franklin2323

Immortal
This is true, I think we need another prop. I wouldn’t mind another Tim Grant type signing if that’s all we can get, someone who won’t let you down off the bench but can go back to reserve grade when fish is back.

I think we replaced the starters well. DWZ, RCG etc

Grant, Winterstein etc we haven't. That is where the holes are atm the experienced fringe guys

Status
Not open for further replies.