What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coastal

Juniors
Latrell, Fifita, Arrow etc still aren't signed. A few clubs waiting on answers on cap situation for medically retired players.. So it is dragged on more then it should but not many have signed anywhere.

Everyone in your squad needs to be paid $100k. So you can't even just go get Latrell you need space to get to 30 players.

Depends what you call a journeyman really. You could get a couple of $400k players for $250k or something if the current club is desperate. $400k is a decent player
This isn't anywhere near answering the question, then you state 3 players that Penrith has no chance of signing, and they aren't anywhere near your line of thinking...are you from another planet?

OldPanther

Coach
I personally don’t see an issue with the clubs apparent wait and see approach, of course I see that as Franklins point of waiting for the dominoes to begin to fall, we are still 4 months away from the season starting and I doubt we’re the only club looking to recruit players. Not to mention the players available aren’t exactly cream of the crop.

If anything we should be blaming the club for not being active in recent years as our team constantly got weaker but we just tried to replace outgoings with juniors, we missed out on a lot of talented players that switched teams in the last few seasons.

I think what you've pointed out here is why everyone is worried. We love the juniors but recognise you can't win a comp with a team of 18 year olds.

franklin2323

Immortal
This isn't anywhere near answering the question, then you state 3 players that Penrith has no chance of signing, and they aren't anywhere near your line of thinking...are you from another planet?

Where did I say we would sign them? Teams won't know their space and won't know they need to offload until then.

You still didn't answer how you would spend the cap space we have. You are quick to shut down others but have never said an alternative on anything

franklin2323

Immortal
I personally don’t see an issue with the clubs apparent wait and see approach, of course I see that as Franklins point of waiting for the dominoes to begin to fall, we are still 4 months away from the season starting and I doubt we’re the only club looking to recruit players. Not to mention the players available aren’t exactly cream of the crop.

If anything we should be blaming the club for not being active in recent years as our team constantly got weaker but we just tried to replace outgoings with juniors, we missed out on a lot of talented players that switched teams in the last few seasons.

It should never of got to this stage I agree there. For the last 4 years we have been the youngest side. Slowly going backwards in that side of things

Coastal

Juniors
Where did I say we would sign them? Teams won't know their space and won't know they need to offload until then.

You still didn't answer how you would spend the cap space we have. You are quick to shut down others but have never said an alternative on anything
Didnt you say managers know where teams sit as far as cap space is for each team? I'm like you and probably like most others and don't know how much we have to spend. There have been very promising juniors mentioned from other clubs that are available and we haven't been mentioned in gaining any of them. Penrith Juniors aren't the heart and sole of the NRLfuture.

OldPanther

Coach
We added Api. Going back to losing Bryce we always lose guys and never gain anyone. So why the panic now?

I don't think you're being fair to me here or at least have misunderstood my comment. Especially since you agreed with the comment I was agreeing with.

My point was a habit has formed over the last few years which you agreed with and that it has people worried it'll be our roster management style going forward.

Flashstep

Juniors
I think what you've pointed out here is why everyone is worried. We love the juniors but recognise you can't win a comp with a team of 18 year olds.

Agreed, I just hope we have learned from our mistakes in regards to recruitment, after all I’d assume the club wants to go with a different philosophy after getting rid of Gould plus we did address our problems with hooker right away with Api.

franklin2323

Immortal
I don't think you're being fair to me here or at least have misunderstood my comment. Especially since you agreed with the comment I was agreeing with.

My point was a habit has formed over the last few years which you agreed with and that it has people worried it'll be our roster management style going forward.

We needed a hooker and signed one. We have cap space in November.. How is this not different to other years?

I agreed that in the past we went to inexperienced which put us in this situation not that this is like it was before

franklin2323

Immortal
Agreed, I just hope we have learned from our mistakes in regards to recruitment, after all I’d assume the club wants to go with a different philosophy after getting rid of Gould plus we did address our problems with hooker right away with Api.

That is the hope that things are different and done right

panther.mike

Juniors
Thanks franklin.....next question.....If a club does not spend all of it,s cap is the unspent money added to the following year.?

OldPanther

Coach
That is the hope that things are different and done right

Yes it's hope but the facts don't support it as of yet. Api is the exception that proves the rule so far.

We needed a hooker and signed one. We have cap space in November.. How is this not different to other years?

I agreed that in the past we went to inexperienced which put us in this situation not that this is like it was before

Because we still at least of of right now are following the same patterns of roster management. That might change in time like you say and I am hoping you are right. It'll be my favourite I told you so ever but we can only go on the info we have at hand.

franklin2323

Immortal
Thanks franklin.....next question.....If a club does not spend all of it,s cap is the unspent money added to the following year.?

When we paid those guys on exception match payments. That goes on this years cap as does any payments to guys at other clubs. So the actual amount on the cap is often under anyway

franklin2323

Immortal
Yes it's hope but the facts don't support it as of yet. Api is the exception that proves the rule so far.

Because we still at least of of right now are following the same patterns of roster management. That might change in time like you say and I am hoping you are right. It'll be my favourite I told you so ever but we can only go on the info we have at hand.

We got Maloney on a swap.
So Merrin and Tamou was the only established guys we got in 5 years or so. So how is it the same?

Of course too soon to say either way but enough to say it changed for the better

OldPanther

Coach
We got Maloney on a swap.
So Merrin and Tamou was the only established guys we got in 5 years or so. So how is it the same?

Of course too soon to say either way but enough to say it changed for the better

We are still having to rely on the juniors coming through. We have 1 good signing for a position we need and that's it. Exactly like previous years.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Literally not 1 player has signed elsewhere in a position we need, merkins are whinging for the sake of it. Hooker was our real weakness and bang we sorted it quick smart. IF we don't sign a rep level centre then yes we should sign a few plodders on 1 year deals and front end some contracts. Then make some bigger moves for 2021

Oh Davie your making far too much sense.

There are some running round like Henny Penny claiming 'the sky is falling, the sky is falling, a piece of it fell on my head'.

BxTom

Bench
No you must spend 90 something percent I believe but you can pay some players early. Giving you more cap room the following years
It's 95%. I checked directly with NRL.
But there has to be exceptions. For instance, if we sign most of our top 30 from our juniors and save a lot of money, we are limited to those 30. So how do we comply with the 95% rule if we cannot go over 30 players and we are at say only 80% of the cap? Seems illogical and unworkable. Sounds like BS to me.

OldPanther

Coach
It's 95%. I checked directly with NRL.
But there has to be exceptions. For instance, if we sign most of our top 30 from our juniors and save a lot of money, we are limited to those 30. So how do we comply with the 95% rule if we cannot go over 30 players and we are at say only 80% of the cap? Seems illogical and unworkable. Sounds like BS to me.

In that case you inflate some contracts to meet the minimum. I'm pretty sure Newcastle had to give a few pay rises one year to meet the minimum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts