What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blade23

Juniors
I still don't get how you can let go of 2 rep outside backs during the regular season, struggle to find a suitable replacement in house for the remainder of the season & then completely disregard the need for an outside back during the off-season instead choosing to spend money on positions where we're already adequately covered.

Me no understand.

It who was available to our budget that limited our options

We were very close to signing Dylan Walker. He took less to stay at Manly. He didn't want to leave.

BJ's asking price is laughable.

We looked at Jack Bird. Given his past injuries and rheumatoid arthritis, we would want him cheap. The Broncos wouldn't chip in much and he wouldn't take a pay cut.

Peach is another one we looked at but again it came down to $$$. If he really wanted to come home he would have taken a pay cut. He changed his mind after Brennan got sacked.

Curtis Scott has had a recent battle with mental health. He has said in the past the hustle and bustle lifestyle of Sydney wouldn't appeal to him.

We dropped off Latrell after his asking price went sky high and his management mind games begun.

Plan B was guys like Alex Glenn or Kurt Capewell.

Unless someone else leaves they will go with what they have and probably look for another back 2021.
Is it perfect? probably not. Maybe someone steps up from within. Naden gets better or Crichton has a big break out season.

Last edited:

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade

We were very close to signing Dylan Walker. He took less to stay at Manly. He didn't want to leave.

We looked at Jack Bird. Given his past injuries and rheumatoid arthritis, we would want him cheap. The Broncos wouldn't chip in much and he wouldn't take a pay cut.

Peach is another one one we looked at but again it came down to $$$. If he really wanted to come home he would have taken a pay cut. He changed his mind after Brennan got sacked.

Curtis Scott has had a recent battle with mental health. He has said in the past the hustle and bustle lifestyle of Sydney wouldn't appeal to him.

We dropped off Latrell after his asking price went sky high.

Unless someone else leaves they will go with what they have and probably look for another back 2021.
Is it perfect? probably not. Maybe someone steps up from within. Naden gets better or Crichton has a big break out season.

Thanks blade23 for an depth look at the reasonings of our club. It's good to know there are valid reasons why various options ceased to be options.

I know I'm a positive person I believe Naden will improve in all areas of his game. Watching the video from the club recently he showed his willingness to listen and learn. Hopefully this will be his breakout year.

Peach is another one one we looked at but again it came down to $$$. If he really wanted to come home he would have taken a pay cut. He changed his mind after Brennan got sacked.

We dropped off Latrell after his asking price went sky high and his management mind games begun.

@Blade23 & @Panther_Daz

More reliable and accurate than Weidler & Rothfield combined.

Cheers fellas :thumbsup:

betcats

Referee

Very good post, appreciate that info.

OldPanther

Coach
Thanks blade23 for an depth look at the reasonings of our club. It's good to know there are valid reasons why various options ceased to be options.

I know I'm a positive person I believe Naden will improve in all areas of his game. Watching the video from the club recently he showed his willingness to listen and learn. Hopefully this will be his breakout year.

I see you closed up your Twitter.

franklin2323

Immortal
Before we signed anyone we had no NRL quality centres. How is improving forward depth more important than improving our starting side?

We have a bottom 8 side for 2020.

as Betcats said. Cost and availability needs to be there to make external signings possible.

we do but where would Edwards rate on the list of Fullbacks. 12th maybe?

Luai/Burton would be the same as far as 5/8ths sit

Hooker was poor and fixed that. Got a pack to keep us competitive atleast.

It was never a one signing fixes all kind of thing but went into last season with only 2 centres. Got 3 now and hopefully one of them turns into a star

franklin2323

Immortal

Peach is another one we looked at but again it came down to $$$. If he really wanted to come home he would have taken a pay cut. He changed his mind after Brennan got sacked.

Given BJ and Bird stayed other clubs must of agreed

Donald J Trump

Juniors
I think we've got a bit more room in the cap than most people think. The fact we nearly got Walker a few weeks ago must mean we have some juice. I think we would have signed Capewell and ZT either way if Walker signed. Not as if any of them are comparable to Walker.

I hope we get a good quality centre, Lomax and Xerri are looking for new clubs it seems so I hope we can somehow manage to get one of them. It isn't looking great not hearing about us in the running for either of them.

I think a lineup below could really get close to a top 4 providing Dave's mate uses Trent Barrett well enough as an attacking coach.

Edwards
Naden
Xerri/Lomax
Crichton
To'o

Luai/Burton
Cleary

Tetevano
Api
Tamou
Capewell
Kikau
JFH

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
You and Josh McGuire.
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/75abf6eff57349c3ac03112a92832538[/QUOTE

I don't see the link. But if it makes you feel happy go for

it. I'm quite sure that others on this forum would kick high and wide if their given name was used without their permission. I was OK with my name being used (as I have basically nothing to hide). But names of folks whom I follow (and they follow me back) is a bridge that is way too far.

martielang

Bench

Walker would’ve been a terrific signing for us & it proves the club is aware there’s a need for a centre / outside back, but we didn’t get him So surely you keep trying to address that same area/position rather than completely changing tact & spending your money on a back rower & FR - assuming Capewell hasn’t been signed as a centre - & praying one or two young guys have a blinder of a season. The signings seem very knee jerk to me.

I struggle to believe the only players that have been named in the media are the only players available. The feelers should of been out as soon as we released DWZ & Blake, there would of had to have been other options.

Kilkenny

Coach
I’m not sure our three recruits of Koroisau, Tetevano and Capewell are the sort of business we needed to bring about addressing our obvious roster deficiencies.

We have lacked quality in our outside backs for some time and I would have thought if there was one position which needed an astute or marquee signing it was a top class centre/winger and as it stands we have failed yet again in addressing this obvious weekness.

I don’t see playing certain players away from there natural positions as being an answer far from it. It may be a short term fix for a game or two but a recipe for disaster long term.

I understand the reasons behind the release of DWZ, Blake who had some issues with discipline and conflict with Ivan and I can understand the release of RCG who was being paid for too much for what he delivered but to this point not bringing in at least one half decent NRL quality outside back is frankly beyond belief.

As I understand we have 29 players locked up for our top 30 so one can only hope there is an ace yet to be played by coach Cleary and his team because we need a quality outside back to add depth, quality and add value to the younger players who we are relying on.

martielang

Bench
We tried to sign Walker and it didn't pan out so that is not completely disregarding the need at all. I think some of you are completely disregarding the complexities of managing a salary cap and just the player market in general. They went after walker, didn't get him, the fact we haven't signed another outside back doesn't mean they haven't tried, for all we know the other available backs were to expensive or not willing to come here.

Also our biggest need was a hooker which was the first thing we addressed, so there is that but lets not let the truth get in the way.

I think the need for a hooker & outside back were on par. Stoked to get Api.

The need for a backrower that plays exactly the same as Yeo, Cartwright & Burns or a mid range prop... not so much.

Flashstep

Juniors
The way I see it is that the player market right now is in a really bad place, players are getting paid way over market value and there isn't much quality out there. Lomax is apparently about to be re-signed on 500k for 6 years, this is the type of contract I'm sure everyone would have loathed. Who else is out there really that's actually worth it?

I don't really know how some of you guys can be upset with signing well rounded first graders in Api, Capewell and Tetevano, it is something we have sorely needed and their experiences from other clubs will help our young guys a lot I'm sure. Well I get being pissed at Tetevano since hes a f**kwit but he is a good player. No we didn't address our backs problem, but we at least tried. At least we didn't get burnt by signing someone like Idris or Hiku again.

Plus we weren't bad in attack just because we had bad players. It was a lot more to do with the play style we implemented, we have brought in Barrett to address that and realistically a good attacking coach (whether that is Barrett remains to be seen) will have a bigger impact over individual players. I reckon we see how we are in 2020 and if we still have massive deficiencies we can probably go into the market with more money and with better options coming off contract.

franklin2323

Immortal
Walker would’ve been a terrific signing for us & it proves the club is aware there’s a need for a centre / outside back, but we didn’t get him So surely you keep trying to address that same area/position rather than completely changing tact & spending your money on a back rower & FR - assuming Capewell hasn’t been signed as a centre - & praying one or two young guys have a blinder of a season. The signings seem very knee jerk to me.

I struggle to believe the only players that have been named in the media are the only players available. The feelers should of been out as soon as we released DWZ & Blake, there would of had to have been other options.

The moment those guys were released you don’t think player managers wouldn’t of made calls to the club? There were too many holes to only go for centres

franklin2323

Immortal
The way I see it is that the player market right now is in a really bad place, players are getting paid way over market value and there isn't much quality out there. Lomax is apparently about to be re-signed on 500k for 6 years, this is the type of contract I'm sure everyone would have loathed. Who else is out there really that's actually worth it?

I don't really know how some of you guys can be upset with signing well rounded first graders in Api, Capewell and Tetevano, it is something we have sorely needed and their experiences from other clubs will help our young guys a lot I'm sure. Well I get being pissed at Tetevano since hes a f**kwit but he is a good player. No we didn't address our backs problem, but we at least tried. At least we didn't get burnt by signing someone like Idris or Hiku again.

Plus we weren't bad in attack just because we had bad players. It was a lot more to do with the play style we implemented, we have brought in Barrett to address that and realistically a good attacking coach (whether that is Barrett remains to be seen) will have a bigger impact over individual players. I reckon we see how we are in 2020 and if we still have massive deficiencies we can probably go into the market with more money and with better options coming off contract.

people like to whinge. Very few established guys on the market and for me paying on potential has failed in the past.

I agree with your thoughts on the player market everyone thinks they are worth more than they are

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts