What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam jeffries

Juniors
I think the side will be

Edwards
To’o
Critta
Naden
Mansour
Burton ( Wouldn’t upgrade if he wasn’t having a great Pre Season)
Cleary
Tetevano
API
JFH
Kilau
Capewell
Yeo

Tamou
Leota
Martin
Luai ( Impact player and quicken the speed of the game)

Kilkenny

Coach
So if May/Blore become the halves in NSW Cup. Burton fullback does that then make him a FB?

Seriously Franklin I don’t get it that you and others don’t get it.

What is so hard to understand here.

We have two kids playing off for one position. One will play NRL and the other NSW Cup.

The decision as to who starts in the 5/8 position is down to Ivan and he is the most qualified person to make that decision.

Kilkenny

Coach
Burton could play in the centres I think. He has played wing before, he is a natural talent he could likely pull it off. He is a 6 long term though but he could slide out to centres to a run. You are over blowing how hard it is, back rowers do it all the time.

Egan can’t pass well enough to be a good hooker without a really good running game.

Maybe your right and I’m wrong I can live with that. I just don’t get the whole playing players away from there best positions thing. Why can we not just play our players where there are best suited, in there natural positions as opposed to manufacturing something that in my opinion is not going to be for the best. It is not perfect but our best starting outside backs is Mansour, To’o, Naden and Whare with the wildcard in Chrichton depending on how he performs in the off season.

I’ve said it before and been heavily criticised on here for sticking up for our dummy halves from 2019. With a better game plan and better coaching I have no doubt Egan could have developed into a top quality NRL dummy half but it was not to be. No one agrees with me and I have no issues with that. Unless the game plan and coaching changes Api Koroisau will offer no more that our three previous dummy halves in Egan, Katoa and Kenny.

Last edited:

Kilkenny

Coach
We didn’t discard him. He asked for a release to take up an opportunity at the Warriors, and his request was granted.

He could of chosen to stay and fight for a bench spot, and learnt from Api while he was here. But instead chose what he thought would be a starting position at the Warriors.

Unless they get injuries at hooker, he won’t be starting at the warriors, so will probably end up regretting his decision.

Mate, he was forced out. Yes he probably did ask for a release but only after being told he was surplus to requirements.

Good luck to Wade I have no doubt he will kick on with the Warriors and we will be asking ourselves down the track why did we let him go!!!!

betcats

Referee
Maybe your right and I’m wrong I can live with that. I just don’t get the whole playing players away from there best positions thing. Why can we not just play our players where there are best suited, in there natural positions as opposed to manufacturing something that in my opinion is not going to be for the best. It is not perfect but our best starting outside backs is Mansour, To’o, Naden and Whare with the wildcard in Chrichton depending on how he performs in the off season.

I’ve said it before and been heavily criticised on here for sticking up for our dummy halves from 2019. With a better game plan and better coaching I have no doubt Egan could have developed into a top quality NRL dummy half but it was not to be. No one agrees with me and I have no issues with that. Unless the game plan and coaching changes Api Koroisau will offer no more that our three previous dummy halves in Egan, Katoa and Kenny.

We will see about Egan. I only saw him play one game where he looked like he could be a good nrl player. The rest of time he looked average I thought. Kenny will turn out a better nrl player imo.

I think we will be much better served by API and Kenny this year. Api is heads and shoulders above Egan, it’s not close mate. He is a much, much better hooker. He has played with Ivan before, if he thought the game plan would restrict him would he gave come here?

franklin2323

Immortal
Seriously Franklin I don’t get it that you and others don’t get it.

What is so hard to understand here.

We have two kids playing off for one position. One will play NRL and the other NSW Cup.

The decision as to who starts in the 5/8 position is down to Ivan and he is the most qualified person to make that decision.

Ahh yes so someone who is 19 is locked in that role for the rest of his career... Good to know

MugaB

Coach
Ahh yes so someone who is 19 is locked in that role for the rest of his career... Good to know
Burton has played 1 1st grade game at 5/8th, and he did well, Luai when he had his 1st game, played halfback and smashed the warriors, single handedly.
But he was injured by the end of the year, which could of impacted on his 2019 performances early on.
I feel Luai is our best option for the starting Halves, and Burton and May could play back up centres, lock or 5/8th when we have injuries or at SoO time, Burton does remind me of Freddy fitler a bit, and if he does play like him, he'll end up in 5/8th and later a ball playing Lock like freddy did, but it took years for that to come about

betcats

Referee
Burton has played 1 1st grade game at 5/8th, and he did well, Luai when he had his 1st game, played halfback and smashed the warriors, single handedly.
But he was injured by the end of the year, which could of impacted on his 2019 performances early on.
I feel Luai is our best option for the starting Halves, and Burton and May could play back up centres, lock or 5/8th when we have injuries or at SoO time, Burton does remind me of Freddy fitler a bit, and if he does play like him, he'll end up in 5/8th and later a ball playing Lock like freddy did, but it took years for that to come about

That warriors game was his second game in the nrl and he was brilliant, set up a bunch of tries and scored 2, he hasn’t scored again in 15 games since, including 4 starts. He has set up some. He has been good, but not so good he has to get picked over Burton. Once Burton gets his shot he will be hard to get back out I think.

Cleary mentioned the temperament Burton showed on debut when we upgraded him, if he can continue to combine that temperament with his natural talents and a good work ethic then he is going to be something else.

And filter was a 6 when he started and a 6 when he retired, it was always his best spot. He could play other spots well, but he was a natural five eighth.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
That warriors game was his second game in the nrl and he was brilliant, set up a bunch of tries and scored 2, he hasn’t scored again in 15 games since, including 4 starts. He has set up some. He has been good, but not so good he has to get picked over Burton. Once Burton gets his shot he will be hard to get back out I think.

Cleary mentioned the temperament Burton showed on debut when we upgraded him, if he can continue to combine that temperament with his natural talents and a good work ethic then he is going to be something else.

And filter was a 6 when he started and a 6 when he retired, it was always his best spot. He could play other spots well, but he was a natural five eighth.

I have mentioned I know a few Flegg players. They have told me a few stories one was Burton’s 1st session in the top grade.
It was an opposed session he kept kicking early was pinning the NRL guys back. He was asked during the break why. He said Edwards is marker there is more space now why wait if I can gain 40-50m now.

That vision is what we lack. Given as you rightly point out Luai has shown glimpses but not put a complete performance in since last year. I see no reason why Luai holds him out.

Which is then the next question are we a better 17 with him in it over say Whare? I say yes

betcats

Referee
I have mentioned I know a few Flegg players. They have told me a few stories one was Burton’s 1st session in the top grade.
It was an opposed session he kept kicking early was pinning the NRL guys back. He was asked during the break why. He said Edwards is marker there is more space now why wait if I can gain 40-50m now.

That vision is what we lack. Given as you rightly point out Luai has shown glimpses but not put a complete performance in since last year. I see no reason why Luai holds him out.

Which is then the next question are we a better 17 with him in it over say Whare? I say yes

He used that vision to set up that try on debut, full back was out of position and he spotted it and kicked early. He then repeatedly pinned the Sharks in a corner with pin point kicks. That vision and temperament is what every coach wants out of a half. The ability to make good decisions and execute them consistently.

Abacus

Juniors
Freddy fitler a bit, and if he does play like him, he'll end up in 5/8th and later a ball playing Lock like freddy did,
From memory Fittler went from the centres to lock then to 5/8. Have to admit I really only followed him post-Panthers in rep teams though. Roosters-wise he was dead to me.

MugaB

Coach
And filter was a 6 when he started and a 6 when he retired, it was always his best spot.
He started in 1989 in the centres, and was there with Brad Izzard at 5/8th, then Steve Carter and when Carter got moved to Lock, then Fittler got the No.6 jumper, later near the end of his career at the roosters he was moved to Lock
From memory Fittler went from the centres to lock then to 5/8. Have to admit I really only followed him post-Panthers in rep teams though. Roosters-wise he was dead to me.
Almost, but in Burtons case as long as he gets a shot somewhere in the 17, he'll play well, i can see him in the Centre's sooner rather than getting shoved in 5/8th this year,
It'll be a good ease into 1st grade having game experience, not owning plays in the halves just yet

betcats

Referee
He started in 1989 in the centres, and was there with Brad Izzard at 5/8th, then Steve Carter and when Carter got moved to Lock, then Fittler got the No.6 jumper, later near the end of his career at the roosters he was moved to Lock

Almost, but in Burtons case as long as he gets a shot somewhere in the 17, he'll play well, i can see him in the Centre's sooner rather than getting shoved in 5/8th this year,
It'll be a good ease into 1st grade having game experience, not owning plays in the halves just yet

Fitler played 6 right up until he retired, incuding his last game the 2004 GF. He was always a half mate, he could play lock or centre but he was a half. He got picked at lock in rep teams sometimes, and he played centre for us because we were a good side with good halved and be was young and extremely talented. He was playing 6 for the roos by 92 and like I said he stayed at 6 until he retired.

Last edited:

BxTom

Bench
Fitler played 6 right up until he retired, incuding his last game the 2004 GF. He was always a half mate, he could play lock or centre but he was a half. He got picked at lock in rep teams sometimes, and he played centre for us because we were a good side with good halved and be was young and extremely talented. He was playing 6 for the roos by 92 and like I said he stayed at 6 until he retired.

Brad Fittler's first grade career started in 1989 at the Penrith Panthers while he was still attending McCarthy Catholic Senior High School in the western suburbs of Sydney.

Fittler played in the centres in Penrith's 18-14 loss to the Canberra Raiders in the 1990 Grand Final and at the end of the season was selected for Australia and went on the 1990 Kangaroo tour of Great Britain and France. Fittler did not play in a test on the tour, but played in 8 tour games and scored 8 tries.

In 1991 he was part the Panthers' premiership winning-side. Fittler played in the centres as Penrith, under the coaching of Phil Gould won their first ever premiership.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brad_Fittler#Playing_career

betcats

Referee
Brad Fittler's first grade career started in 1989 at the Penrith Panthers while he was still attending McCarthy Catholic Senior High School in the western suburbs of Sydney.

Fittler played in the centres in Penrith's 18-14 loss to the Canberra Raiders in the 1990 Grand Final and at the end of the season was selected for Australia and went on the 1990 Kangaroo tour of Great Britain and France. Fittler did not play in a test on the tour, but played in 8 tour games and scored 8 tries.

In 1991 he was part the Panthers' premiership winning-side. Fittler played in the centres as Penrith, under the coaching of Phil Gould won their first ever premiership.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brad_Fittler#Playing_career

I just said he played centre for us, what is your point? He made his test debut playing lock in 91, the next year he played five eight for the roos.

franklin2323

Immortal
He used that vision to set up that try on debut, full back was out of position and he spotted it and kicked early. He then repeatedly pinned the Sharks in a corner with pin point kicks. That vision and temperament is what every coach wants out of a half. The ability to make good decisions and execute them consistently.

The vision and football smarts is something lack and have done for a few seasons. Something that can't be taught

franklin2323

Immortal

NSW had Daley... @Kilkenny would say only one plays but the selectors went that way of playing both. Lock ended up being Fittler's position

betcats

Referee
There was no progression in Fitlers career where he was a centre then a half then a lock. He was just so good you had to fit him in so he played centre for us early in his career and lock in rep teams throughout his career. He was big enough to paly lock for the kangaroos at 19, he didn't start playing lock when he got older and bigger, it started early in his rep career. Five eighth was his best and first choice position for his entire career.

franklin2323

Immortal
There was no progression in Fitlers career where he was a centre then a half then a lock. He was just so good you had to fit him in so he played centre for us early in his career and lock in rep teams throughout his career. He was big enough to paly lock for the kangaroos at 19, he didn't start playing lock when he got older and bigger, it started early in his rep career. Five eighth was his best and first choice position for his entire career.

And for us when you have guys like Whare and Mansour in the backline..I don't think you can hold someone of their skill out

Status
Not open for further replies.