What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

MugaB

Coach
What game are you talking about? AFL, NFL can you please elaborate. There was a suggestion a year or two back a certain AFL side tanked there last game of the season to ensure they finished last to gain a slight benefit on draft picks? Suggested but never proven. I follow the AFL closely as a Geelong Cats fan interstate member so please enlighten me as to whether these many pointless games are in the AFL?
Every AFL game .... fullstop

Dave's mate

Juniors
Why does it work so effectively in the AFL? How many talented young players are going to sacrifice there chances of a successful NRL career to play in inferior competitions in England or Union. You are talking thru your arse and would there is absolutely no reason it could not work effectively in the NRL other than the fact it was challenged in court and deemed to be a restraint of trade so it will never happen in the NRL which is sad.
It works in the AFL and American sports because NO ONE ELSE PLAYS THEM

Kilkenny

Coach
It works in the AFL and American sports because NO ONE ELSE PLAYS THEM

What are you talking about you goose?

Please tell me about all the games which were thrown or deliberately lost as a consequence of there being a draft in place.

You obviously have some knowledge because you said there are many?

Dave's mate

Juniors
What are you talking about you goose?

Please tell me about all the games which were thrown or deliberately lost as a consequence of there being a draft in place.

You obviously have some knowledge because you said there are many?
You aren't serious are you?

MugaB

Coach
Anyone open to debate on the NRL two conference system?
No debate,
4 conferences with 5 teams in each,
20 clubs, all play each other once then play within their own conference again.
23 rounds, add in a heritage round and maybe a magic round, 25 rounds
Conferences split geographicaly North, South, East, West.
Northern conference.
NTH QLD, Brisbane, brisbane2, gold coast, Newcastle.
Eastern conference.
Sydney, Manly, Warriors, Central coast, Cronulla
Southern conference.
South Sydney, St.George, Canberra, Melbourne, Adelaide.
Western Conference.
West Coast, Penrith, Wests, Parramatta,
Canterbury.

Top 2 in each conference make the finals

Dave's mate

Juniors
Not just a debate, its the future.

As long as the guys running the game don't bungle it...

NRL is a superior product to AFL and Rugby Union. By quite a margin.
We are ran by cowards though and this CTE shit will end the sport imo.
The UFC are ran the right way, they know they are the show and people will watch.

Kilkenny

Coach
You aren't serious are you?

Yes, please make me aware of the MANY games you are referring to because other than one situation in the AFL I am not aware of what you are referring too?

You are talking shite mate, about something you no nothing about, you know nothing about how the AFL draft works and therefore you should not make comments on it’s merits or otherwise. There are many, many valid reasons why the NRL should accomodate a draft even if it is deemed not worthy of implementation, but more than worthy of debate and discussion without being dismissed out of hand.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
I think it would end up being a complete mess. All that needs to happen is the NRL grow some testicles about salary cap or abolish it all together.

Kilkenny

Coach
Not just a debate, its the future.

As long as the guys running the game don't bungle it...

NRL is a superior product to AFL and Rugby Union. By quite a margin.

I’m not sure the NRL is a superior product to the AFL that could be debatable albeit the AFL are having there problems currently similar to the NRL. Low scoring games, coaches damaging the product overall similar to the NRL. I don’t follow Rugby Union, used to watch it during the running rugby days in the 80’s but I wouldn’t know any of the players now and cant stand the game.

I think the two conference system in the NRL is inevitable. Sydney based conference and all the others. Allow’s for expansion, another Brisbane based club and perhaps Perth to play in the others conference. The finals system same as the current NFL model which works.

MugaB

Coach
Yes, please make me aware of the MANY games you are referring to because other than one situation in the AFL I am not aware of what you are referring too?

You are talking shite mate, about something you no nothing about, you know nothing about how the AFL draft works and therefore you should not make comments on it’s merits or otherwise. There are many, many valid reasons why the NRL should accomodate a draft even if it is deemed not worthy of implementation, but more than worthy of debate and discussion without being dismissed out of hand.
Yeah and then what, our best juniors get drafted to the gold coast or roosters, f^ck all that

Fangs

Coach
We are ran by cowards though and this CTE shit will end the sport imo.
The UFC are ran the right way, they know they are the show and people will watch.

I think you are right. Not to end it though. Just water it down to the point where we talk to our kids about 'back in my day...'

90s football and early 2000s I find amazing to watch. Probably as good as its ever been.

I don't think we will ever see it that good again. Origin being the exception with the intensity. And perhaps international football as well with the rise of the Pacific Island teams.

And yes, UFC feels like its more than a sport. Its a show as well.

Dave's mate

Juniors
I think you are right. Not to end it though. Just water it down to the point where we talk to our kids about 'back in my day...'

90s football and early 2000s I find amazing to watch. Probably as good as its ever been.

I don't think we will ever see it that good again. Origin being the exception with the intensity. And perhaps international football as well with the rise of the Pacific Island teams.

And yes, UFC feels like its more than a sport. Its a show as well.
Tackling from the waist down will happen and that will be the end

MugaB

Coach
I’m not sure the NRL is a superior product to the AFL that could be debatable albeit the AFL are having there problems currently similar to the NRL. Low scoring games, coaches damaging the product overall similar to the NRL. I don’t follow Rugby Union, used to watch it during the running rugby days in the 80’s but I wouldn’t know any of the players now and cant stand the game.

I think the two conference system in the NRL is inevitable. Sydney based conference and all the others. Allow’s for expansion, another Brisbane based club and perhaps Perth to play in the others conference. The finals system same as the current NFL model which works.
Thats shite too, might aswell call it nswrl and arl again, you can have only Sydney teams play each other, while the regionals tough it out on travelling, stupid break up, it has to be somewhat fair, that most teams and fans will travel to a closer destination more often, which is why i grouped each of those teams in my previous post about conferences the way i did, geographicaly, they can shift, if a team from PNG comes in, Newcastle shifts to Eastern conference, Cronulla shifts to Southern conference, etc

Kilkenny

Coach
Yeah and then what, our best juniors get drafted to the gold coast or roosters, f^ck all that

You need to have an understanding of how a ‘draft’ works before you make such statements.

A ‘draft’ and ‘salary cap’ is more capable of evening out the competition than a ‘salary cap’ alone. That is a fact.

Dave's mate

Juniors
You need to have an understanding of how a ‘draft’ works before you make such statements.

A ‘draft’ and ‘salary cap’ is more capable of evening out the competition than a ‘salary cap’ alone. That is a fact.
And half the draft class will walk and play overseas for a year or 2. Its no chance

MugaB

Coach

I don't want the comp even, just fair,
Roosters and stormcontinue to buy players, panthers and brisbane continue to grow them, we have an advantage but a draft will kill us, who are you to tell me i don't understand the AFL draft, its shit, the game itself is a shit sport and folks that support it are shit

Status
Not open for further replies.