What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coast panther

Juniors
We should defiantly be looking at Sailor, looks better then staines and Laurie. Saab could be good allso. Burton looks long-term 6 let May and laui fight it out for our bench utility

The_Frog

First Grade
No way I would have May in front of Burton. As far as I am concerned May can leave at the end of the season.
It's not a case of May being in front of Burton or vice versa, its who can better cover more positions on the field and be of greatest use to the team. I hope they give May a run before booting him, or else they could just do it now and give him a chance to establish himself elsewhere. His potential as a utility is without doubt.

Tronald Crump

Juniors
It's not a case of May being in front of Burton or vice versa, its who can better cover more positions on the field and be of greatest use to the team. I hope they give May a run before booting him, or else they could just do it now and give him a chance to establish himself elsewhere. His potential as a utility is without doubt.

I should clarify my initial response. It was referring to the 5/8 position. I would have Burton ahead of May no question.
As far as utility goes I think May is probably the best option at the club.
However, that is an opinion based what he did 18 months ago on the field.
What he did and was punished for and getting in trouble again this year, I would rather he leave now or at years end for a fresh start elsewhere.
There were too many distractions last year and again this year. Both involved him in various capacities.

The_Frog

First Grade
What he did and was punished for and getting in trouble again this year, I would rather he leave now or at years end for a fresh start.
There were too many distractions last year and again this year. Both involved him in various capacities.
I worry he's going to go somewhere else and become a star. If he's not in the plans we'll know soon enough.

I’d say Burton has him covered here too. Burton looks to me like he could play every position in the backline, and probably 13 as well.

Panfa

Juniors
Gonna be interesting to see who makes the 17 when Edwards may naden leniu are all available from injury and suspension.Since there's no reserve grade due to covid I'd rotate the team depending on who we are playing.Its gonna take it's toll on players going 18 straight rounds plus semis with no breaks.

betcats

Referee
"There is something very special about this kid" Matty Johns last night referring to Burton. Come November he is going to get some moeny thrown at him, we need to be smart about this, Jerome is a great kid but Burton is one of those prospects you chuck the plan out for and clear the decks. Sterlo also talked him up last night.

kinghippo

Juniors
Having no reserve grade will have a huge impact on young developing players and their contracts.
In a normal season players like Burton could develop his game each week, or even try out new positions to find his best fit for the team, but now if he is not in first grade he is not playing.
There are going to be many talented kids who believe they are ready who are not playing any football this year and it is going to cause problems.
It’s obviously happening at st George already with some of the young ones wanting out.

I worry the player managers are going to try and exploit it and teams that can offer a first grade spot could have a big advantage in the market this year as players get grumpy about limited opportunity.

betcats

Referee
Having no reserve grade will have a huge impact on young developing players and their contracts.
In a normal season players like Burton could develop his game each week, or even try out new positions to find his best fit for the team, but now if he is not in first grade he is not playing.
There are going to be many talented kids who believe they are ready who are not playing any football this year and it is going to cause problems.
It’s obviously happening at st George already with some of the young ones wanting out.

I worry the player managers are going to try and exploit it and teams that can offer a first grade spot could have a big advantage in the market this year as players get grumpy about limited opportunity.

I look at the tigers who are going to have a lot of money available and think they are going to chase a half big time. Brooks has been partnered with Benji and Reynolds this season they are both on the wrong side of 30 and well and truly past there best. They had all that money to chase Latrell and ended up with Douehi, they probably have room now tbh.

WestyLife

First Grade
"There is something very special about this kid" Matty Johns last night referring to Burton. Come November he is going to get some moeny thrown at him, we need to be smart about this, Jerome is a great kid but Burton is one of those prospects you chuck the plan out for and clear the decks. Sterlo also talked him up last night.

Was that the post game shows?

betcats

Referee
Was that the post game shows?

Johns comments were. I read about Sterlo's comments in this article last night:

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/penrit...sterling/192d98ce-dcef-4c0e-a01b-936f15be4502

Matt Burton will ultimately win the battle for Penrith's five-eighth spot alongside NSW Origin halfback Nathan Cleary, iconic playmaker Peter Sterling believes.

Jarome Luai was named at No.6 for Friday's blockbuster clash against Parramatta, with Cleary's return from suspension pushing Burton to the bench.

A Luai-Cleary combination has long been planned by Penrith, after the two starred together in juniors.

Yet former Panthers general manager Phil Gould has warned that Burton is a genuine star who will be lost to Penrith if he isn't made a regular starting player.

Sterling told Wide World of Sports that the 20-year-old looked superior to Luai and would offer Penrith an exceptional kicking game alongside Cleary. The young pivot scored two tries last Friday in a 26-0 win against the Warriors.

"Matt Burton was outstanding," Sterling said on Sterlo's Wrap.

"I really agreed with Ivan Cleary the week previous, where Matt Burton had five missed field goal attempts to win the game but he kept standing up. He kept putting his hand up. It would be easy to take yourself out of the firing line.

"A tough decision now for Ivan Cleary ... Jarome Luai has done a really good job alongside Nathan Cleary. But whether it's this week or in the weeks to come, I think Matt Burton will be their regular starting five-eighth along with Nathan Cleary.

"He's a big body, he's got a wonderful left-foot kicking game and you know how I feel about the advantage of having a right and a left-foot kicker; and both outstanding kickers, when you think Nathan Cleary and Matt Burton.

"I think that will be the pairing in weeks to come and Burton very, very good again this weekend [against the Warriors]."

Burton may be utilised in a back-row role off the bench against the Eels, given his hefty 190cm, 88kg frame.

Gould went so far as to say that the Dubbo product he might be the best young playmaker Penrith have, including rep star Cleary.

He is contracted until the end of next season, as is Luai, meaning that the Panthers will need to make up their mind about the pecking order before rival clubs can target the youngsters with contract offers from November 1.

WestyLife

First Grade
Johns comments were. I read about Sterlo's comments in this article last night:

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/penrit...sterling/192d98ce-dcef-4c0e-a01b-936f15be4502

Matt Burton will ultimately win the battle for Penrith's five-eighth spot alongside NSW Origin halfback Nathan Cleary, iconic playmaker Peter Sterling believes.

Jarome Luai was named at No.6 for Friday's blockbuster clash against Parramatta, with Cleary's return from suspension pushing Burton to the bench.

A Luai-Cleary combination has long been planned by Penrith, after the two starred together in juniors.

Yet former Panthers general manager Phil Gould has warned that Burton is a genuine star who will be lost to Penrith if he isn't made a regular starting player.

Sterling told Wide World of Sports that the 20-year-old looked superior to Luai and would offer Penrith an exceptional kicking game alongside Cleary. The young pivot scored two tries last Friday in a 26-0 win against the Warriors.

"Matt Burton was outstanding," Sterling said on Sterlo's Wrap.

"I really agreed with Ivan Cleary the week previous, where Matt Burton had five missed field goal attempts to win the game but he kept standing up. He kept putting his hand up. It would be easy to take yourself out of the firing line.

"A tough decision now for Ivan Cleary ... Jarome Luai has done a really good job alongside Nathan Cleary. But whether it's this week or in the weeks to come, I think Matt Burton will be their regular starting five-eighth along with Nathan Cleary.

"He's a big body, he's got a wonderful left-foot kicking game and you know how I feel about the advantage of having a right and a left-foot kicker; and both outstanding kickers, when you think Nathan Cleary and Matt Burton.

"I think that will be the pairing in weeks to come and Burton very, very good again this weekend [against the Warriors]."

Burton may be utilised in a back-row role off the bench against the Eels, given his hefty 190cm, 88kg frame.

Gould went so far as to say that the Dubbo product he might be the best young playmaker Penrith have, including rep star Cleary.

He is contracted until the end of next season, as is Luai, meaning that the Panthers will need to make up their mind about the pecking order before rival clubs can target the youngsters with contract offers from November 1.

Thanks. It's rare to see the rugby league community agree as much as with the Burton/Luai issue.

GongPanther

Referee
Even if pushed in a corner, I don't know who would I take for the 5/8 spot. Thing is you don't know how each player is going to turn out. By the end of next year it will have sorted itself out by then.

I lean slightly towards Burton being that he is standing out a little better than Luai.

betcats

Referee
I have no doubt the club will extend Burton’s contract in the near future.

I hope you are right. They are both off contract after next season which means they will both likely have clubs making offers to them in november if they havent been extended.

Status
Not open for further replies.