What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

franklin2323

Immortal
Id wait and see how Leniu goes when he gets a run. Most of our pack has been around for 3-4 years or more not 1-2 years like the Broncos, we are not in that same situation even without Tamou. I like Jimmy T a lot but if Leniu takes to first grade we are going to be trying to fit him next seaspm and then there is Jack who looked like a very good option off the bench in the middle for NZ last week. Moses Leota has stepped up a lot this year so he really needs to be there on the bench at least.

Say what you like about Tetevano but in an interview Jimmy T praised his off field leadership a lot, he said Zane made it his mission to push Kiks to train hard during the lock down period. Along with Yeo and JFH that is more than enough leadership and experience in the middle without Jimmy T after this season. Not that i wouldnt sign him for another year, id do that but not another 2 years.

Props we are fine for it is edge guys. Only missing Capewell and if Burns goes down then who is next up?

So while our starters are locked in that is where we should go to replace guys.

As for Tetevano. Roosters did the rehab we are just reaping the benefits. That is why I was comfortable with it. The fact they wanted him was good enough for me.

mxlegend99

Referee
Props we are fine for it is edge guys. Only missing Capewell and if Burns goes down then who is next up?

As for Tetevano. Roosters did the rehab we are just reaping the benefits. That is why I was comfortable with it. The fact they wanted him was good enough for me.
Yeo to shift to edge. May at lock. Burton back on bench as utility.

We are lucky having Kiks. Yeo. Jfh. Martin etc.all capable of playing 80 minutes in the second row if necessary. So if our bench does get a bit weaker we just boost those guys minutes. As it stands now our bench isnt always fully used anyway

WestyLife

First Grade

The kind of depth you are asking for here is impossible with the salary cap. We can't have 3 layers of first grade depth.

franklin2323

Immortal
The kind of depth you are asking for here is impossible with the salary cap. We can't have 3 layers of first grade depth.

Our issue is too many rookies full stop. Look at Manly squad they have guys like Tony Williams as depth guys. I doubt he is one much more then minimum wage

franklin2323

Immortal
Yeo to shift to edge. May at lock. Burton back on bench as utility.

We are lucky having Kiks. Yeo. Jfh. Martin etc.all capable of playing 80 minutes in the second row if necessary. So if our bench does get a bit weaker we just boost those guys minutes. As it stands now our bench isnt always fully used anyway

Then you risk those guys burning out before finals.

Kilkenny

Coach
I’ve read discussion around fears the non selection or use non use of Burton may threaten his long term future with us.

I’m confident our the brains trust at the club are all over it.

It is apparent to just about everybody, not just our fans, that Burton could be (and I say could be) a superstar in the future so I am confident we will retain him beyond his current deal ending in 2021.

He will get his opportunity I’m sure of that and I’m equally confident he will grasp it with both hands.

Personally, I see his best position is as a 6 and I think in time he will overtake and eventually take the position currently occupied by Jerome. Where does that leave Jerome, who I really like, I don’t know but I think the bottom line is Matt Burton could be a superstar whereas Jerome Luai will be a good / handy NRL player.

Kilkenny

Coach
Worth a listen too.

I actually only watched the video after posting my comments immediately above.

Burton is a huge part of our future even if we may have to offer him the ‘dreaded’ long term deal!!!!!!!

From my perspective there is nothing wrong with five year deals or longer, many disagree.

The only downside to the long term deals that don’t work out is having to pay a portion of the players salary when you move them on such as in the case of RCG and perhaps Waqa Blake although it has never been confirmed we were subsidising part of Waqa’s salary. (I don’t think is has anyway)

WestyLife

First Grade

Burton is a huge part of our future even if we may have to offer him the ‘dreaded’ long term deal!!!!!!!

From my perspective there is nothing wrong with five year deals or longer, many disagree.

The only downside to the long term deals that don’t work out is having to pay a portion of the players salary when you move them on such as in the case of RCG and perhaps Waqa Blake although it has never been confirmed we were subsidising part of Waqa’s salary. (I don’t think is has anyway)

I posted it earlier in the sharks thread :joy:

franklin2323

Immortal

Depends where we play him but in theory I'd agree. Just depends how patient he is but either right centre or right 2nd rower looks his spot in a full strength team

Problem will be other more desperate teams will offer overs

Kilkenny

Coach
Depends where we play him but in theory I'd agree. Just depends how patient he is but either right centre or right 2nd rower looks his spot in a full strength team

Problem will be other more desperate teams will offer overs

There has been a lot of doom and gloom around the fact he has been displaced in the 17 by Tyrone May.

I really don’t see a major issue and clearly Matt Burton is more important to our future going forward than either Tyrone May or Jerome Luai.

Burton will be resigned in the next month or two, probably long term so that may upset a few, but he is the future pure and simple.

It’s not going to make one iota of difference who may want him or who may come in for him he will be locked up well before November.

If Gould was still our General Manager he would have been locked up already to a long term deal but that is another story for another day I guess.

franklin2323

Immortal
There has been a lot of doom and gloom around the fact he has been displaced in the 17 by Tyrone May.

I really don’t see a major issue and clearly Matt Burton is more important to our future going forward than either Tyrone May or Jerome Luai.

Burton will be resigned in the next month or two, probably long term so that may upset a few, but he is the future pure and simple.

It’s not going to make one iota of difference who may want him or who may come in for him he will be locked up well before November.

If Gould was still our General Manager he would have been locked up already to a long term deal but that is another story for another day I guess.

Luai was always going to start in 6
May was always going to be the 14

Given we are running 2nd then changes are less likely to be made. He will get his chance this year.

very likely when we have locked in a finals spot he and a few others will get chances in new positions. That with another pre-season there is no reason he can't be in the top 17 outside of the spine for next season

Kilkenny

Coach
Luai was always going to start in 6
May was always going to be the 14

Given we are running 2nd then changes are less likely to be made. He will get his chance this year.

very likely when we have locked in a finals spot he and a few others will get chances in new positions. That with another pre-season there is no reason he can't be in the top 17 outside of the spine for next season

We are running second and that is great. Love it. Not sure whether we can sustain it but for the time being it is so nice to win games even if we can’t be there to see it.

Matt Burton is the six in waiting. I really like Jerome Luai I think he is an NRL quality player just not a marquee player. Matt Burton will overtake him whether that is next week, next month or in 2021 but it is inevitable.

If anyone amongst May, Luai, Burton have to move on then sadly, and I mean sadly it is probably Jerome. He is never going to be a marquee player, very good player, has strong attributes but is just not a superstar which Burton could be. May on the other hand has the advantage of being able to play half a dozen positions so is the ideal utility player.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Interesting words. At the moment Lui is improving at a rate of knots each time he plays.

I'm not into saying that this stage of development that one player is going to be better than the other.

I don't see Burton's long time future in the halves. I see him as a Wade Graham type.

Lui's combination with Cleary is building at speed.

It looks as though something special could develop (actually is developing) between the two.

franklin2323

Immortal
We are running second and that is great. Love it. Not sure whether we can sustain it but for the time being it is so nice to win games even if we can’t be there to see it.

Matt Burton is the six in waiting. I really like Jerome Luai I think he is an NRL quality player just not a marquee player. Matt Burton will overtake him whether that is next week, next month or in 2021 but it is inevitable.

If anyone amongst May, Luai, Burton have to move on then sadly, and I mean sadly it is probably Jerome. He is never going to be a marquee player, very good player, has strong attributes but is just not a superstar which Burton could be. May on the other hand has the advantage of being able to play half a dozen positions so is the ideal utility player.

I think May is the perfect 14
Too soon to make a call on Luai like that.
Burton looks like Wade Graham type to me perfect on the edge. Can be an extra ball player and a fill in 6... Assuming Luai keeps improving like he is of course

Kilkenny

Coach
I think May is the perfect 14
Too soon to make a call on Luai like that.
Burton looks like Wade Graham type to me perfect on the edge. Can be an extra ball player and a fill in 6... Assuming Luai keeps improving like he is of course

I talked up Jerome Luai long before he made it to the NRL and many on here just didn’t see it.

It was long before Matt Burton emerged as a contender.

Jerome Luai is NRL quality there is no doubt about that he is just never going to be an elite player. Matt Burton on the other hand has shown that he is something more than just average, something more than just NRL quality he is potentially SOO or greater.

Burton is not dissimilar to Wade Graham, Wade was in and out of the team, no one quite knew whether he was a half, five eight or as things have turned out as representative back rower.

The current brains trust will not make the same mistake as Matt Elliot and his regime made in failing to recognise the raw talent regardless of what his best position may be.

Status
Not open for further replies.