What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

WestyLife

First Grade
Penrith lock Isaah Yeo wants to re-sign at the Panthers despite interest from Trent Barrett’s Bulldogs
Isaah Yeo has built a strong relationship with new Canterbury coach Trent Barrett, but the back-rower insists his future is with the Panthers.
Penrith lock Isaah Yeo is humbled that incoming Canterbury coach Trent Barrett wants him to sign at Belmore but believes he owes it to the Panthers to stay.

Yeo was surprised when reports surfaced suggesting Barrett is keen to lure him to the Bulldogs when he comes off-contract at the end of 2021.

The Dubbo-born forward is a free agent from November 1, but he feels like his future belongs at the foot of the mountains.

“I’m still on contract at Penrith, and I’d like to think my heart is there,” Yeo said.

“I’ve been fortunate enough to come through there and I moved there when I was 17, so my first priority is to stay at Penrith, and I’d like to think that something will work out there.”

In his seven NRL seasons at Penrith, Yeo has rarely received interest from a rival club.

It’s why the news even shocked his family, including his father Justin.
“My old man was asking me if there was any truth to it,” he said.

“This is the first time (in my career) where I’ve been in a position like this where articles are written about interest from other clubs.

“I actually had that story sent to me.

“It is nice to hear, but it is just a matter of making sure I’m doing my job for the club.”

Yeo’s preference is to remain at Penrith, but he can’t speak highly enough of Barrett’s influence on him as the Panthers’ attack coach.

He credits the former Illawarra, St George Illawarra, and Cronulla playmaker for transforming his game this season.

“For me, moving to the lock role and not being a ball player until this year, Trent has been tremendous for me,” he said.

“We did so much opposed stuff and repetition. I guess the more you do that kind of stuff, the more confidence you get.

“I was more of an up-and-down player when I first moved to the middle, but Trent has helped me, and he is a big part of why I’m in his (Blues) squad.

“The amount of trust and belief that he puts in his players is outstanding, and he will be a big loss for us.”

Yeo missed out on the Blues’ final 21-man team for Wednesday’s opening Origin against Queensland in Adelaide, but he feels blessed to be a part of the squad.

He grew up in Dubbo idolising local star Andrew “Bobcat” Ryan, who played 12 Origins for the Blues, and now he has the opportunity to follow in Ryan’s footsteps and don the state’s blue jersey.

“Bobcat was the one that I looked up to being from Dubbo, with all the accolades he achieved,” he said.

“The grand final wins, State of Origin and Australia. I loved watching him play.

“It is always a goal to be part of something like this, and if you asked me at the start of the year if I would make this squad, I would have thought it was out of reach, particularly after my year last year.”

Yeo says the Origin camp has also helped him move on from the pain of last week’s grand final loss to Melbourne.

“You can’t be dwelling on stuff in a camp like this when there is so much on the line,” he said.

“And I don’t think you can when you are a part of a group like this.”

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/p...s/news-story/a777de7bfe4764c12e9fa8bd3ab18eb6

Barrett is going to be a massive loss to the club.

That's massive concern for next year without Barrett.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Wow I didn't see this one coming.
https://www.penrithpanthers.com.au/...KwqllpNnhSDSsvJ3HFwSaBxcMPH_Q9XP35bU4KXs8kd-c

Robert Jennings returns to Panthers
Author
Panthers Media
Timestamp
Fri 30 Oct 2020, 11:57 AM
Share on social media
Penrith Panthers is delighted to announce the signing of outside back Robert Jennings on a one-year deal.

The 24-year-old local junior returns to Panthers following four seasons with South Sydney Rabbitohs and Wests Tigers.

"I was over the moon when I heard there was a chance to come back to Penrith," Jennings said.

"This is where I grew up, where my career started and this is the place I call home.

JOIN THE PANTHERS IN 2021 - SECURE YOUR SEAT NOW

"I’m extremely grateful to have the opportunity to reunite with so many of the talented players that I came through the grades with.

"The last couple of years have been tough but coming back to Panthers is a chance for me to hit the reset button, get back into the hard work and prove that I belong in the NRL."

cleary-may-edwards-junior-kangaroos.jpg

Nathan Cleary, Tyrone May, Dylan Edwards and Robert Jennings with the Junior Kangaroos in 2016.
In 2015 Jennings was a member of the Panthers’ premiership-winning NYC squad, represented the Junior Kangaroos and made his NRL debut under coach Ivan Cleary.

The following year he again earned selection in the Junior Kangaroos, where he played alongside Panthers teammates Nathan Cleary, Tyrone May and Dylan Edwards.

"This club is at its best when players come through our junior development pathways and progress into the NRL together," Panthers General Manager Rugby League Matt Cameron said.

"Robert is an example of a player who was on that path. He played his most impressive football alongside a number of the individuals who are currently in our first grade team.

"We see Robert’s return to Panthers as an opportunity for him to rediscover that form while adding some strong depth to our roster."

remote.axd

This homecoming is a blessing: Jennings

This homecoming is a blessing: Jennings

Perfect signing! Pumped to have him back.
Great back up and will even push for selection which is always a great thing.

murraymob

First Grade
Why are we signing all the rejects instead of focusing on the main talent2 signing of guys that will not play first grade Jennings and eisenhuth .that money keeps Mansour or tops up two.Those spots could go to the next young kids

Why are we signing all the rejects instead of focusing on the main talent2 signing of guys that will not play first grade Jennings and eisenhuth .that money keeps Mansour or tops up two.Those spots could go to the next young kids

I have a feeling the lack of footy for the young kids last year might play into it.

But we’re already pretty young, we’re in a premiership window, don’t want to go too young.

franklin2323

Immortal

We have 10 odd players leave. Need to bring in some talent to go with it

Agreed, although wouldn't surprise me if he makes the 17 most weeks. He's a different style to the other props we have.

Over Capewell?

We did go well with 3 props on the bench, but I also think there’s an opportunity to use our second row rotation better. Martin could play some minutes in the middle.

I was told if we lost Tamou we would look to bring in a cheaper prop preferably with some experience.
They are in no rush at the moment. The focus is on retention.
They may wait for confirmation of squad sizes next year and other clubs looking to free up space before they recruit. Most likely value buys.
Could be a few departures depending on how things pan out over the next 2 months. Naden future is up in the air, I was told was a month ago he was 50:50 whether he stays. A lot has changed since then. They have been trying to push Whare out for the past 12 months too.
The next 2 months will be interesting.

Spot on once again @Blade23 with the cheaper experienced prop in Eisenhuth and value buy in Rennings.

Cheers mate :thumbsup:

I wonder though if the return of Rennings means that Naden’s days at Penrith are numbered.

mxlegend99

Referee
Not superstar signings. But you would imagine these guys are just replacing depth we lost.

Not bothered by them. Will have no impact on our ability to retain who we want. If they didnt take a spot someone else would have.

franklin2323

Immortal
Not superstar signings. But you would imagine these guys are just replacing depth we lost.

Not bothered by them. Will have no impact on our ability to retain who we want. If they didnt take a spot someone else would have.

The thing you look at is could these guys handle FG. The fact they cover more positions is an added bonus. Neither will be regulars

Status
Not open for further replies.