What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand most of the decisions but I still hope it settles down. Successful clubs don't churn through the numbers we have.

Hopefully we're near the end of it.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
I understand most of the decisions but I still hope it settles down. Successful clubs don't churn through the numbers we have.

Hopefully we're near the end of it.

Indicates a rather haphazard recruitment policy. Example: We sign Korosiau just after Segeyaro's best season, Segeyaro has an average 2015 but we sell Korosiau early anyway, then release Segeyaro, and now we have Wallace as our first choice hooker.

That's not good management.

Kilkenny

Coach
Indicates a rather haphazard recruitment policy. Example: We sign Korosiau just after Segeyaro's best season, Segeyaro has an average 2015 but we sell Korosiau early anyway, then release Segeyaro, and now we have Wallace as our first choice hooker.

Simply not true saying we have a haphazard recruitment policy.

In relation to Api Korosiau the club would have loved to have kept him but in fairness to the player he received a very good offer and they couldn't deny him the opportunity. It is to the clubs (Gould's) credit they put the player first ahead of our own self interests.

There are lot's of issues behind the release of James Segeyaro some of them not his doing ie injuries but other off field issues played a big part in his demise which is sad because at his best we know what he is capable off.

If you look at some of the other players released already in 2016 for most it has been about opportunities ie Garcia/Chris Smith etc they simply weren't going to get a run in our top grade to allowed to pursue opportunities elsewhere. Some such as Naden were disciplinary decisions.

There are going to be other's leaving us at the end of this season it is a fact of life. Both Jennings boys for example are most likely going to be playing elsewhere.

hindy111

Post Whore
It happens with every new coach.They shape squad they want. I have an issue thou with the fact Penrith are a top 8 team and perhaps a long shot but a smokie to win title.If they click and a few other teams lose key players.
Now if Cleary /Wallace where injured seygaroo and Soward would fit straight in.The squad would still be a chance.And if where under the cap with them then why release them. I understand in Parras's case where nothing to play for or say a team like souths/Titans.
But Penrith are still a rough/Smokie. If they click they do have the firepower to do some damage so I find it odd.

Kilkenny

Coach
It happens with every new coach.They shape squad they want. I have an issue thou with the fact Penrith are a top 8 team and perhaps a long shot but a smokie to win title.If they click and a few other teams lose key players.
Now if Cleary /Wallace where injured seygaroo and Soward would fit straight in.The squad would still be a chance.And if where under the cap with them then why release them. I understand in Parras's case where nothing to play for or say a team like souths/Titans.
But Penrith are still a rough/Smokie. If they click they do have the firepower to do some damage so I find it odd.

It's all about the longer term thing.

Yes god forbid Cleary get's injury we will probably have Wallace back at half but that's the way the cookie crumbles so to speak.

I think we are in a really good place given our squad depth for 2017 and beyond.

Griffin is getting the squad he want's to develop going forward so anything we achieve this season is a bonus. I'm not expecting to much more than a top eight finish which will be good I suppose.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade

In relation to Api Korosiau the club would have loved to have kept him but in fairness to the player he received a very good offer and they couldn't deny him the opportunity. It is to the clubs (Gould's) credit they put the player first ahead of our own self interests.

There are lot's of issues behind the release of James Segeyaro some of them not his doing ie injuries but other off field issues played a big part in his demise which is sad because at his best we know what he is capable off.

If you look at some of the other players released already in 2016 for most it has been about opportunities ie Garcia/Chris Smith etc they simply weren't going to get a run in our top grade to allowed to pursue opportunities elsewhere. Some such as Naden were disciplinary decisions.

There are going to be other's leaving us at the end of this season it is a fact of life. Both Jennings boys for example are most likely going to be playing elsewhere.

I'm sorry, you are never going to sell me on The Korosiau thing. Total waste of time.

ammatt

Juniors
One thing is for certain we are really getting a reputation for churning through the players. I hope this can settle down a bit.
I think the players we are turning over are still in the journeyman category.
I know that Sowie was not brought to the club as a short term player such as Newton, Ciraldo etc but he was at the back end of his career and was brought here as a very good signing but knowing he was not a long term signing.
I am sad to see him go as he gave the club wonderful service, all be-it he was down on form recently but I will fondly remember the good memories he gave the supporters

I think the players we are turning over are still in the journeyman category.
I know that Sowie was not brought to the club as a short term player such as Newton, Ciraldo etc but he was at the back end of his career and was brought here as a very good signing but knowing he was not a long term signing.
I am sad to see him go as he gave the club wonderful service, all be-it he was down on form recently but I will fondly remember the good memories he gave the supporters

Seg & Taylor are far from Journeymen. Not saying they shouldn't have gone though.

GongPanther

Referee

Agreed tenfold.

To me,this is all a means to an end.The coach was specifically brought in to do a job,(actually,Griffin came knocking at Gus' door) and whatever it takes to get the job done,and for the Panthers to strive for a top 8 spot,I'm all for what he is doing.

TheFrog

Coach

I could never understand why we signed Koroisau in the first place.

Kilkenny

Coach
I'm sorry, you are never going to sell me on The Korosiau thing. Total waste of time.

Billy, I don't expect you to understand and I am not trying to sell anything. The club looked after the interests of the player in question Api Korosaiu in this instance.

Is that so hard to understand. Put yourself in our General Manager's position, what does he do?

Do you not understand it is to the credit of our General Manager (and our club ultimately) that he put the individual first, in front of our own interests.

I admire the way Gus Gould does our business, he has the best interest of the individual (player) at heart. No different with Elijah Taylor or Chris Smith or any other player we have allowed to pursue better opportunities elsewhere.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
Billy, I don't expect you to understand and I am not trying to sell anything. The club looked after the interests of the player in question Api Korosaiu in this instance.

Is that so hard to understand. Put yourself in our General Manager's position, what does he do?

Do you not understand it is to the credit of our General Manager (and our club ultimately) that he put the individual first, in front of our own interests.

I admire the way Gus Gould does our business, he has the best interest of the individual (player) at heart. No different with Elijah Taylor or Chris Smith or any other player we have allowed to pursue better opportunities elsewhere.

But you side-step the main point: why did we buy him in the first place?

Status
Not open for further replies.