What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pomoz

Bench
I’d be pretty surprised if the Tigers didn’t get anything from us. Sure it might not have been a straight up ‘here’s $400k’ but there would of been a handshake & wink somewhere. We wanted him for this year from the beginning, they would of known that.

Not sure we can take the moral high ground of saying we don’t owe them anything.
When it come to coaches jobs, you have more chance of finding the lost city of Atlantis than finding moral high ground.

I don't feel the slightest tinge of embarrassment about the Hook/Cleary situation. Let's have a quick look at coaching appointments the last few years:
  • Macguire is sacked. He coached South's to a grand final win;
  • Hasler told he doesn't have a contract with Canterbury. Nothing in writing see. The courts held different, money changes hands;
  • Barrett resigns, gives the statutory notice required by his contract. The club hire Hasler for the last year of his contract, trying to force him to resign. They have to pay him to not work;
  • The Broncos decide not to extend Bennett. He has made the semi-finals every year and a grand final. Never mind Hook being hard done by based on results, what about Bennett?;
  • South's sign Bennett because Seibold was too slow to sign up. He took them from 12th to 3rd in one year;
  • The Broncos sign Seibold, leaving two clubs with coaches with a "use by date" on;
  • The West Tigers fail to honour their contract with Cleary and replace him with two years left on his contract.
Moral high ground? The clubs do what they want and write out a cheque to make it happen. When you look at what happened, the Hook/Cleary situation is no better or worse than any of the other's listed above.

Coaches have families to think of and are in a high risk position of employment. If approached about a job, they will take it with both hands and I don't blame them.

I don't blame the clubs either. The media and fans call for the the heads of club officials, coaches and players if they don't see immediate success. We have people baying for blood on here based on a a completely hypothetical understanding of the salary cap and contracts players have. Contracts nobody has seen, because they are private and unavailable to the public. That level of hysteria is what drives club officials to make tough decisions in an effort to try and keep their jobs and reputation.

Moral high ground? More like the unscrupulous bottom of a crevasse.

Here we go

Luai signs new Panthers deal

Penrith Panthers is delighted to announce Jarome Luai has agreed to a two-year contract extension with the club.

The new deal means the 21-year-old playmaker will remain with Panthers until at least the end of the 2021 season.

"I feel blessed to re-sign with Panthers because Penrith is my home," Luai said.

"It was an easy decision for me as I've come through the Panthers system with so many of the players here and we're basically a family.
"A lot of us have kids as well so to watch them grow up together will be special.

"I'm grateful to have the opportunity to work with the likes of Nathan Cleary and James Maloney as I continue to improve my game."

WATCH: Luai discusses the 'easy decision' to re-sign

A local St Marys junior, Luai progressed through the junior development pathways at Panthers and was a member of the premiership-winning Panthers NYC side in 2015.

In 2017 he captained the Junior Kiwis and later made his international debut for Samoa at the Rugby League World Cup.

Luai's NRL debut came against Newcastle in Round 10 last season before he lit up Panthers Stadium with two tries in a man-of-the-match performance against New Zealand Warriors.
"Right from the time we first saw Jarome in our junior rep program, we believed he was an NRL player of the future," Panthers Executive General Manager Phil Gould AM said.

"We were thrilled when he got his opportunity to play NRL in 2018 and no one was surprised at the impact he made.

"We are delighted he has extended his contract with Panthers and we look forward to watching his development over the next three seasons."
https://www.penrithpanthers.com.au/news/2018/11/19/luai-signs-new-panthers-deal/

Pomoz

Bench
Gus is a liar for saying Griffin wouldn't be sacked but Brandy isn't?
Management decisions don't work like that. It's just not that simple to say somebody "lied". I have fronted 200 people to tell them when asked "that, at the moment there would be no redundancies at the factory". At the time it was the truth, there were no plans by the board, me (the CEO), or anybody else for that matter, to sack anybody. Six months later we lost our biggest contract and had to make redundancies because 20% of our revenue just disappeared. "You lied to us" the same 200 people said when I fronted them again. No I did not, circumstances change and decisions have to change to reflect that.

Last edited:

mxlegend99

Referee
Here we go

Luai signs new Panthers deal

Penrith Panthers is delighted to announce Jarome Luai has agreed to a two-year contract extension with the club.

The new deal means the 21-year-old playmaker will remain with Panthers until at least the end of the 2021 season.

"I feel blessed to re-sign with Panthers because Penrith is my home," Luai said.

"It was an easy decision for me as I've come through the Panthers system with so many of the players here and we're basically a family.
"A lot of us have kids as well so to watch them grow up together will be special.

"I'm grateful to have the opportunity to work with the likes of Nathan Cleary and James Maloney as I continue to improve my game."

WATCH: Luai discusses the 'easy decision' to re-sign

A local St Marys junior, Luai progressed through the junior development pathways at Panthers and was a member of the premiership-winning Panthers NYC side in 2015.

In 2017 he captained the Junior Kiwis and later made his international debut for Samoa at the Rugby League World Cup.

Luai's NRL debut came against Newcastle in Round 10 last season before he lit up Panthers Stadium with two tries in a man-of-the-match performance against New Zealand Warriors.
"Right from the time we first saw Jarome in our junior rep program, we believed he was an NRL player of the future," Panthers Executive General Manager Phil Gould AM said.

"We were thrilled when he got his opportunity to play NRL in 2018 and no one was surprised at the impact he made.

"We are delighted he has extended his contract with Panthers and we look forward to watching his development over the next three seasons."
https://www.penrithpanthers.com.au/news/2018/11/19/luai-signs-new-panthers-deal/
That's the Mez money spent. Release Tamou and JFH can extend. :p

OldPanther

Coach
Management decisions don't work like that. It's just not that simple to say somebody "lied". I have fronted 200 people to tell them when asked "that, at the moment there would be no redundancies at the factory". At the time it was the truth, there were no plans by the board, me (the CEO), or anybody else for that matter, to sack anybody. Six moths later we lost our biggest contract and had to make redundancies because 20% of our revenue just disappeared. "You lied to us" the same 200 people said when I fronted them again. No I did not, circumstances change and decisions have to change to reflect that.

I don't doubt that at all and suspect the club was sincere at the time. I was more pointing out the hypocrisy of saying one person is a liar and one isn't because of who we like and don't.

Das Hassler

Bench
When it come to coaches jobs, you have more chance of finding the lost city of Atlantis than finding moral high ground.

I don't feel the slightest tinge of embarrassment about the Hook/Cleary situation. Let's have a quick look at coaching appointments the last few years:
  • Macguire is sacked. He coached South's to a grand final win;
  • Hasler told he doesn't have a contract with Canterbury. Nothing in writing see. The courts held different, money changes hands;
  • Barrett resigns, gives the statutory notice required by his contract. The club hire Hasler for the last year of his contract, trying to force him to resign. They have to pay him to not work;
  • The Broncos decide not to extend Bennett. He has made the semi-finals every year and a grand final. Never mind Hook being hard done by based on results, what about Bennett?;
  • South's sign Bennett because Seibold was too slow to sign up. He took them from 12th to 3rd in one year;
  • The Broncos sign Seibold, leaving two clubs with coaches with a "use by date" on;
  • The West Tigers fail to honour their contract with Cleary and replace him with two years left on his contract.
Moral high ground? The clubs do what they want and write out a cheque to make it happen. When you look at what happened, the Hook/Cleary situation is no better or worse than any of the other's listed above.

Coaches have families to think of and are in a high risk position of employment. If approached about a job, they will take it with both hands and I don't blame them.

I don't blame the clubs either. The media and fans call for the the heads of club officials, coaches and players if they don't see immediate success. We have people baying for blood on here based on a a completely hypothetical understanding of the salary cap and contracts players have. Contracts nobody has seen, because they are private and unavailable to the public. That level of hysteria is what drives club officials to make tough decisions in an effort to try and keep their jobs and reputation.

Moral high ground? More like the unscrupulous bottom of a crevasse.

• "The West Tigers fail to honour their contract with Cleary and replace him with two years left on his contract."
What an absolutely laughable thing to say. ...you should be writing for trump only he'd probably pass for it being too ridiculous even for him lol

Abacus

Juniors
The club would of known McKendry wasn't coming back though. So the option was their if they wanted it
Its not a done deal yet. And unless the contract is terminated with nil payment for 2019, it counts on the cap. Unless insurance covers it.

You have to deal with the contracts as they are now - otherwise shit doesn't go to plan and you f**k up your cap. THAT is poor cap management.

Abacus

Juniors
Honestly I pay no attention to contract lengths anymore, players can shift at a moments notice. If he got wind he’s underpaid he’d be available. (Not saying he is underpaid, I have no idea)
But Dragons need a decent hooker before they release him. And if he's underpaid there, does that make him overpaid here (rhetorical only).

Status
Not open for further replies.