What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crashtest

Juniors
Our other prop right now is Leota and will be blore and Lenui later.

I think Leota should be playing Canterbury Cup, and used only as injury cover for first grade. He does not have the stamina for high work rates and minutes, and as an impact player adds very little/no impact. Has had nearly 50 games to improve, but continually offers little.

If we don't buy another prop, and Hetherington is let go, then hopefully Lenui can step up and replace Leota in the 17 when his is eligible for first grade after June 30.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
The Waqa Blake being shopped around rumours were a bit of a shock to begin with but he’s no youngster any more. Turns 25 this October and has scored 30 odd tries in 88 games to date. Not a bad record but have been waiting for him to go to that next level and it doesn’t look like it’s gonna happen, not while playing for us anyway.

As much as I want him to stay. He probably does need a change for the sake of his career. Outside backs at Penrith are wasted.

Fangs

Coach
I think Leota should be playing Canterbury Cup, and used only as injury cover for first grade. He does not have the stamina for high work rates and minutes, and as an impact player adds very little/no impact. Has had nearly 50 games to improve, but continually offers little.

If we don't buy another prop, and Hetherington is let go, then hopefully Lenui can step up and replace Leota in the 17 when his is eligible for first grade after June 30.

Tend to agree on Leota. We know most props get better with age, the question is how much time do you invest?

We seem to have better luck taking our backrowers and turning them into middle forwards. Fisher-Harris the prime example. And Yeo looks to be heading that way too I think.

OldPanther

Coach

The club seems to want Leota there as a placeholder for the young guys which makes sense since he'll be cheaper than real quality.

It's like the entire roster is waiting for that 2020 - 2021 timeframe when the youngsters with the academy start coming through.

franklin2323

Immortal
The Waqa Blake being shopped around rumours were a bit of a shock to begin with but he’s no youngster any more. Turns 25 this October and has scored 30 odd tries in 88 games to date. Not a bad record but have been waiting for him to go to that next level and it doesn’t look like it’s gonna happen, not while playing for us anyway.

He is one of many that just hasn't kicked on like he should. I like him even got 3 on my jersey but at some stage you need to move on from these guys

franklin2323

Immortal
The club seems to want Leota there as a placeholder for the young guys which makes sense since he'll be cheaper than real quality.

It's like the entire roster is waiting for that 2020 - 2021 timeframe when the youngsters with the academy start coming through.

The next batch coming look real good 1st lot from the academy. Leota is solid but nothing special

OldPanther

Coach
The next batch coming look real good 1st lot from the academy. Leota is solid but nothing special

Exactly right about Leota. I hope what I'm saying makes sense. It just has that feel of it like the club is just trying to hang on until we get these guys up into grade and like you said they look good. There seems to be a mix of utility and x-factor. At that point these guys will be coming up to play with Cleary/Luai halves after 2 years of mentoring with Maloney.

It just fits in my opinion.

franklin2323

Immortal
As much as I want him to stay. He probably does need a change for the sake of his career. Outside backs at Penrith are wasted.

Problem for him is Arthur is one of the few coaches worse than Ivan and hook.

Yeah we only need centres to make tackles nothing else use the money elsewhere

Kilkenny

Coach
It seems obvious the length of the deals RCG, Blake & Hetherington are on May be a factor in them being shopped around.
Problem for him is Arthur is one of the few coaches worse than Ivan and hook.

Yeah we only need centres to make tackles nothing else use the money elsewhere

Don’t know where Eels are going to find the cap space just resigned Gutherson &Moses in big money deals and they have a lot of players off contract. You’d have to think they need to free up some space before they would be in any position to bring in Waqa Blake. Surely that ain’t gonna happen before June 30. They’ve been trying to off load Bevan French but there are just no takers.

Flashstep

Juniors
I find it funny how a lot of our fans are talking about replacing Blake because he has a “bad attitude” with Tyrone Peachey.

I’m not sure if any of you guys have watched the Titans this year but he has phoned it in since day 1, after spitting his dummy after he signed a contract. Why do you think they are willing to let him go after signing him 6 months ago? That’s what bad attitude looks like.

Not to mention he has always had consistency problems.

If we constantly let players go after a bad run of form we will never build a competent roster, Blake has been poor this season but letting him go will almost certainly come back to bite us, no he’s not in the elite centres (yet) but if we keep replacing players with the new flavour of the month every time nobody at Penrith will ever get there anyway.

franklin2323

Immortal
Exactly right about Leota. I hope what I'm saying makes sense. It just has that feel of it like the club is just trying to hang on until we get these guys up into grade and like you said they look good. There seems to be a mix of utility and x-factor. At that point these guys will be coming up to play with Cleary/Luai halves after 2 years of mentoring with Maloney.

It just fits in my opinion.

Yeah I will make judgement on our roster when complete. On the surface DWZ for Peachey is good. To'o for Phillips huge upgrade.

As long as we don't replace Blake with a long term deal for a busted Packer or something then will be good to have a pathway should these players get to the level needed

franklin2323

Immortal
I find it funny how a lot of our fans are talking about replacing Blake because he has a “bad attitude” with Tyrone Peachey.

I’m not sure if any of you guys have watched the Titans this year but he has phoned it in since day 1, after spitting his dummy after he signed a contract. Why do you think they are willing to let him go after signing him 6 months ago? That’s what bad attitude looks like.

If we constantly let players go after a bad run of form we will never build a competent roster, Blake has been poor this season but letting him go will almost certainly come back to bite us, no he’s not in the elite centres (yet) but if we keep replacing players with the new flavour of the month every time nobody at Penrith will ever get there anyway.

I don't see Peachey as a centre. For me it adds to our limited bench Blake is redunant due to not using our backs for me

OldPanther

Coach

images (41).jpeg
Yeah I will make judgement on our roster when complete. On the surface DWZ for Peachey is good. To'o for Phillips huge upgrade.

As long as we don't replace Blake with a long term deal for a busted Packer or something then will be good to have a pathway should these players get to the level needed

Agreed. In a perfect world we keep Blake in my opinion.

Kilkenny

Coach
Blake has the potential to be one of our key attacking weapons.

I would expect that our head coach and other members of his staff should have the skills to have game plans - set plays that would utilise Blake’s strength’s.

If our attacking structures have failed to get the best out of Waqa Blake what chance do the next group of young centres have?

Fangs

Coach
Peachy has always been massively overrated. No idea why people want him back

He fits Penrith like a glove I reckon.

You know deep down Penrith can't be a Melbourne or Roosters outfit. Our spine isn't capable of being like them and will be even less capable if Maloney does leave for England.

EDIT: Should also add that I don't think our coach is capable of it either. We need more staff.

Our attack is too independent on individuals. Peachey will end up being one of our main attacking weapons when he returns. Kikau the other. Blake 50/50 if he remains. We will have to pin our hopes on Luai in 2020 and that's the best of it. Unless another kid like Moylan comes through or we get active in the market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts