What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldPanther

Coach
Nicely done but Mark can get quite silent & unsocial - so he won't be on his way anytime soon unfortunately. There have been sightings at the game though, sitting quietly with a beer, taking notes & evaluating the performance of the boys.

Such a shame. We could use his footy I.Q.

Pomoz

Bench
You’ve made me even more glad he’s gone.

This process is not a recipe for success, it’s a recipe for middling results. Successful clubs are largely stable, sure their roster changes, but to not the degree ours has.

His idea basically always going back to youth to plug the gaps means we’re caught is this cycle of constantly being inexperienced. We’ve been inexperienced for 5 years now, we’ll be inexperienced next year too.

None of that is to say his investment in junior pathways hasn’t been excellent, but you can’t rely on those juniors to win you premierships. You need experience, and we seem to be constantly moving experience out the door.
Well that's your opinion. Gus has won two premierships at two different clubs and built a dynasty at the Roosters. I will back his view on how to run a successful club over most other people. You say changing players is not a recipe for success but many successful coaches advocate turnover to keep the team vital and dynamic. Alex Ferguson, the most successful coach in the history of the EPL was an advocate of changing the roster.

You also overlook the fact that to keep a team stable you need a solid base not a roster of ageing halves like Soward and Wallace, or mediocrity like Walsh, Ciraldo, Burns and so on. I think it is a question of degree. When you have a good spine, such as the famous Storm big three, then you can be stable. Mind you, the Storm release rep players constantly to keep their spine intact. They are a good example of the turnover I allude to. As for the Panthers, we have yet to have a quality spine you could justify keeping a team stable for. I think we are still searching for the key players that we want to keep for the long term.

As for experience, I agree you need experience, but you don't hold onto mediocrity, no matter how much experience they have. The trouble is we then run into the age old problem at the Panthers. Nobody wants to sign for us because of where we are, our status, our lack of glamour, history and a world class coach. It will be even more so now we have Dave's mate and Dave doing the negotiating to attract players. There is no way Merrin, Soward or Tamou come to the Panthers without Gus. We will be lucky to get the Bulldogs cast offs at the moment and they are stone, motherless last. It's juniors or bust for us.

Last edited:

Pomoz

Bench
You know a funny stat?

The most games in a panthers jersey by anyone currently at the club is Sam McKendry with 147

He’s played 2 NRL games in the last 3 seasons!! Only 2 and he’s still played the most games as a panther amongst the current squad. He hasn’t played a full season since 2015.

I couldn’t think of a better way to illustrate the turnover of players.
And so what? We have made the semis four out of five years. We have won a number of titles in the lower grades. We have turnover and.....

Pomoz

Bench
I still don’t think we need the huge clean out that seems to be happening. Seems a very knee jerk reaction due to a poor start to the year.
I don't think moving one player on is huge, Blake is still with us. If he does leave, you have to question whether there is a problem with his attitude, because why would they let him go? I mean, it's not like Whare and Yeo are setting the world on fire in the centres. Yeo can't wait to get back in the middle.

Panfa

Juniors
Blake is a decent centre the problem for blake is he plays outside of kikau and most of the time the ball stops with kikau and blake doesnt get it.Im not sure what sort of money he is on but if we were gonna get rid of a centre it would be whare for mine.

Dave's mate

Juniors
Blake is a decent centre the problem for blake is he plays outside of kikau and most of the time the ball stops with kikau and blake doesnt get it.Im not sure what sort of money he is on but if we were gonna get rid of a centre it would be whare for mine.
Maloney hasn't looked to cut out Kikau in over a year. In fact until last week he had done nothing but dump the ball to him flat footed

martielang

Bench
I don't think moving one player on is huge, Blake is still with us. If he does leave, you have to question whether there is a problem with his attitude, because why would they let him go? I mean, it's not like Whare and Yeo are setting the world on fire in the centres. Yeo can't wait to get back in the middle.

Moved on DWZ & likely Blake. Maloney, Hetherington. All under contract.

That’s not normal season turnover.

Marky Mark

Juniors
You know your shit Bro.

Andy_P

Juniors
What is hard to work out is, how much are the club sticking to Gus's approach to recruitment and retention as posted by Pomoz - and how much is it Cleary now wanting to do things his way, given that we know Cleary wasn't happy with some of Gus's 'interference' in recruitment. Unless Cleary spells out his own philosophy regarding recruitment and retention, we'll never know exactly why they have identified particular players to move on (and not others) although we may have a pretty good idea. I guess what we all want is some assurance that there is a 'method to the madness'.

betcats

Referee
Moved on DWZ & likely Blake. Maloney, Hetherington. All under contract.

That’s not normal season turnover.

It’s fairly normal for a new coach. Brisbane already let go a rep centre, rep halfback this season. Daresay there will be more from brizzy looking for new clubs after this season. Madge doing the same at the tigers.

mxlegend99

Referee
Gains and Losses past 3 seasons... might have got season wrong as its from memory.

2016: Idris. Soward. Segeyaro. Taylor. Latimore. Akauolo.

2017: Moylan. Cartwright. Latu. Rein. Tmm. Grevsmuhl. Hiku.

2018. Peachey. CHN. Merrin. Wallace. Browne. Crichton.

Circumstances for then differ. But a 20%+ player turnover each season for us has been common. I think it's a massive reason we havent been able to build on a season. Our roster is in constant mini rebuilds. Waiting for the next guy to develop.

franklin2323

Immortal
Does anybody know whether Blake has an attitude problem? I can't believe we offload him unless there are off field issues.

Well he was in the group with Moylan that was dropped after Melb game. He missed captain's run but aside from that nope but his form is way down so maybe more to it

Status
Not open for further replies.