What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pomoz

Bench
Of course we will, you sign another 400k prop. There’s heaps of them.

Look at the really successful teams, they don’t have highly paid props.

Melbourne
Roosters
Souths

They all find solid props that can do a job.
Agree with this, that's why Petero was such a waste of money. Unbalanced the cap and you can't get value out of a prop on high wages.

Agree with this, that's why Petero was such a waste of money. Unbalanced the cap and you can't get value out of a prop on high wages.

The same (probably) applies to RCG & Tamou. Although to give Tamou credit he’s playing pretty well this year.

In fact one of the reasons we got Petero was because Bennett refuses to pay props big money, same reason George Burgess is likely gone from Souths at the end of the year.

I'm just saying that if we are paying a decent chunk then its a pointless exercise. If we get a like for like player at half the cost, but are still paying half the salary of the discard its just shuffling deck chairs.

Fair enough, It’s just hard to know as a fan if it’s worth it because we don’t know the exact sums involved.

What I am sure of is props shouldn’t be paid big money, let other clubs do that.

soc123_au

Staff member
Fair enough, It’s just hard to know as a fan if it’s worth it because we don’t know the exact sums involved.

What I am sure of is props shouldn’t be paid big money, let other clubs do that.
Yeah, its just speculation. It just shits me that it seems whenever we let someone go we end up paying them still. It was reported we are copping a small amount for DWZ. f**k that shit, he wanted out, we shouldn't be paying a cent.

mxlegend99

Referee
I'm just saying that if we are paying a decent chunk then its a pointless exercise. If we get a like for like player at half the cost, but are still paying half the salary of the discard its just shuffling deck chairs.
This.

If RCG is on $700k and we're paying $300k of it. But paying his replacement $400k we are no better off unless we get a better player.

Which is unlikely IMO. Better off sticking with RCG and hoping he finds form... we know his ceiling is pretty high.

But if we get him off our books completely its definitely worth our while.

This.

If RCG is on $700k and we're paying $300k of it. But paying his replacement $400k we are no better off unless we get a better player.

Which is unlikely IMO. Better off sticking with RCG and hoping he finds form... we know his ceiling is pretty high.

But if we get him off our books completely its definitely worth our while.

You’d never agree to paying $300k for the length of his deal. He’s got four more years after this one.

snickers007

Juniors
Look at the really successful teams, they don’t have highly paid props.

Melbourne
Roosters
Souths

They all find solid props that can do a job.

Bromwich, Asofa-Solomona, Warea-Hargreaves and Tetevano are all in the the NZ squad this weekend.

And the Rabbits have the Burgess boys who rep for England.

Hardly $400k plodders.

Bromwich, Asofa-Solomona, Warea-Hargreaves and Tetevano are all in the the NZ squad this weekend.

And the Rabbits have the Burgess boys who rep for England.

Hardly $400k plodders.

George Burgess is probably leaving Souths because Bennett won’t pay big money.

I didn’t say those guys aren’t good props, but I doubt any are on big money. $500k at most would be my guess. Bennett & Bellamy just don’t pay big money for props, my guess is the roosters would be the same. They put their money into spine players.

Roosters for instance have Tedesco, Cronk, Keary, Mitchell, Cordner & Chricton. Don’t think they’re paying their props huge money.

betcats

Referee
George Burgess is probably leaving Souths because Bennett won’t pay big money.

I didn’t say those guys aren’t good props, but I doubt any are on big money. $500k at most would be my guess. Bennett & Bellamy just don’t pay big money for props, my guess is the roosters would be the same. They put their money into spine players.

Roosters for instance have Tedesco, Cronk, Keary, Mitchell, Cordner & Chricton. Don’t think they’re paying their props huge money.

Bromwich would be highly paid. Asofa as well.

Kilkenny

Coach
There are a few front rowers who would be well worth 700K or even more but RCG isn’t one of them.

The five year big money deal to RCG will not rank as Gus Gould’s finest decision.

OldPanther

Coach
The same (probably) applies to RCG & Tamou. Although to give Tamou credit he’s playing pretty well this year.

In fact one of the reasons we got Petero was because Bennett refuses to pay props big money, same reason George Burgess is likely gone from Souths at the end of the year.

The Burgii are on very good money apparently. I've seen Souths fans discussing their disappointment at the $$

The Burgii are on very good money apparently. I've seen Souths fans discussing their disappointment at the $$

Sam is a lock, he’d be on good money. Definitely not George, he’s being forced out from all reports. And Tom is the worst of the three.

At the start of the season they’d have

Cook
Walker
Reynolds
Inglis
Sam Burgess
Even Gagai is on a decent deal

All on pretty big money. I don’t see their props being on serious coin.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/al...nd-of-souths-brotherhood-20190515-p51nn6.html

Last edited:
Bromwich re signed in 2017 when he was the kiwis captain and widely regarded as the best prop in the game, he’d be up there with the highest paid props going round.

It’s just never been Bellamy’s thing to pay props big money, I suppose now Cronk & Slater are gone they might be getting a bit more though.

General principle remains I think. Props shouldn’t be among your highest paid.

betcats

Referee
It’s just never been Bellamy’s thing to pay props big money, I suppose now Cronk & Slater are gone they might be getting a bit more though.

He is happy to pay the right ones, just cause it’s bellamy doesn’t mean he can can convince Bromwich to sign for 500k, that would be the best deal in the comp. I don’t know when Nelson signed his last deal but if he’s not on good money yet he will be on his next deal.

age.s

First Grade
I don't understand how anyone can talk with such certainty about what so many players are paid. I get that it's necessary in a sense to be able to have conversations about signings, but given it's such a private component of the game the speculation, embellishment and lies would be higher than any other area of reporting. And media seems to be no better than a coin flip on everything else.

BxTom

Bench

You nor anyone else knows what he pays players. He doesn't under pay, else he wouldn't have needed a second set of books to keep his illegal roster together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts